British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 671

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 28 2011, 7:26 PM BST

I've watched quite a lot of Who. I just avoid here because everyone gets shouty. :)

Don't worry, it's only Stott we have to shout at.

:D

I suppose all writers have their different ways of writing. I don't think I could start a script with no idea about where I was going or what was going to happen though!

I watched The Seeds of Death last week and it was classic Tom Baker and Sarah Jane.

Quote: chipolata @ April 28 2011, 7:36 PM BST

Don't worry, it's only Stott we have to shout at.

:(

They don't like it when I like things; apparently an opinion on an ep should mainly consist of the stuff that sucked ass. Or was vaguely annoying. ;)

Quote: Ben @ April 28 2011, 7:38 PM BST

I watched The Seeds of Death last week and it was classic Tom Baker and Sarah Jane.

I need to get that one, but the Auton boxset is coming out soon, so I might get that first.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 7:36 PM BST

:D

I suppose all writers have their different ways of writing. I don't think I could start a script with no idea about where I was going or what was going to happen though!

Me neither. But it must be a very liberating way to write if you can pull it off. I seem to remember Paul Abbot saying he writes in a similar way.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 28 2011, 7:44 PM BST

Me neither. But it must be a very liberating way to write if you can pull it off. I seem to remember Paul Abbot saying he writes in a similar way.

Hope for me yet! I tend to start in the middle and go in whatever direction seems like up.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 28 2011, 7:44 PM BST

I know I wrote like that at first, but I had no idea what I was doing then. I always write out a little episode plan before starting now! It feels like you'd be giving yourself more work later when redrafting if you had no idea where anything would go when you start.

Seems to work fine for him though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 7:39 PM BST

I need to get that one, but the Auton boxset is coming out soon, so I might get that first.

I didn't know that was due out. I'd love to get Terror, but I've already got Spearheads.

Quote: Ben @ April 28 2011, 7:55 PM BST

I didn't know that was due out. I'd love to get Terror, but I've already got Spearheads.

I've never seen Terror, so I'm looking forward to that; Spearheads is obviously great. I never got round to buying Spearheads, having seen it a lot, so I'm glad I didn't now!

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Ps0e32nFzs0&s=14

loads of full length Dr Who classic episodes on YouTube

Quote: Badge @ April 28 2011, 6:51 PM BST

I don't know why you're all assuming Moff has been playing some clever long game. From everything that's happened to date it looks to me like he's doing the same as RTD. Just because the Who team are loyal in saying he's had this big plan for River Song all along doesn't mean it's true.

I haven't got it on DVD but anyone care to go back to Silence in the Library and see if River's reaction to the Doc is consistent with what we are now being told?

And don't start on "Silence" being in the Library. If that ends up as significant then he's definitely made it up later.

Not all :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 7:22 PM BST

I don't doubt that he will have put up certain things without knowing exactly what they were going to turn out to be.

Whistling nnocently
Really now.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 28 2011, 7:34 PM BST

RTD doesn't know anything at all when he starts writing. I was at a talk a couple of years ago that he was doing, and he said more-or-less these exact words "Honestly, these BBC producers and script-people with their rules about plot and planning - I just start writing and make it up as I go along, and if I come to a dead end I just turn round and make up another road".

:O was my face.
Then Eh? , then :| and finally Teary

Yeah, And golly does it show.

Oh Marc, so cynical! :D Of course Moffat will have some things planned, and of course he will have some things he's winging as he goes along. Nowt wrong with that.

Quote: Marc P @ April 28 2011, 10:36 PM BST

Not all :)

Sorry. Not all. :)

All I'm saying is that some people seem willing to give Moff much more leeway and many more excuses than RTD. I think they've both done wonderful things for Who, but Moff for me has been a bit disappointing as show-runner.

By the way, like most people who regularly come on this thread I love Who, and want it to be even greater than it is. That's all. For the record, I think the twisted timey-wimey timeline of the Doctor and River makes no sense but I don't really mind as long as the story is strong enough to drag me along. For the most part it is, and I am looking forward to the rest of it. :)

Yeah, it's just like the 'Status Report' thread. To the uninformed it may look like the collective, disjointed ramblings of a bunch of idiots, but actually there's some very subtle clues as to where its story arc is leading. Cool

Quote: Badge @ April 28 2011, 11:28 PM BST

All I'm saying is that some people seem willing to give Moff much more leeway and many more excuses than RTD. I think they've both done wonderful things for Who, but Moff for me has been a bit disappointing as show-runner.

He certainly didn't do as well as was expected of him, but he's only had the one series, hopefully he'll do better this year. Off to a good start at least. But then again, he was off to a good start last year too.

I'm not sure about the leeway thing, at least not on here! The same people digging at RTD have been digging at Moff too! It's a BCG Doc Who thread tradition!!