British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 670

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 12:20 PM BST

Ooh, that's very interesting! Moffat did say recently that this year would make you watch certain things last year in a new light. He really has been playing the long game.

I have an awful sinking feeling that Moffat's long game is going to take the next 25 years of Who. :(

Quote: chipolata @ April 28 2011, 12:32 PM BST

I have an awful sinking feeling that Moffat's long game is going to take the next 25 years of Who. :(

Smith's doctor is going to live for at least the next two hundred years so we will get a few more plots between now and his demise.

Quote: chipolata @ April 28 2011, 12:32 PM BST

An awful sinking feeling seems to be your default setting,Chip!

Quote: KLRiley @ April 28 2011, 12:28 PM BST

RTD started it. Bad Wolf in series 1? Atmos and Harold Saxon?

Though apparently RTD had no idea what the Bad Wolf stuff was about, he had just put it in, then made something up at the end!

Setting up the first arrival of the Master was quite clever though, with the watch and all that business.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 12:48 PM BST

An awful sinking feeling seems to be your default setting,Chip!

Yes, being a fan of well-written quality drama can be a thankless job at times!

Though apparently RTD had no idea what the Bad Wolf stuff was about, he had just put it in, then made something up at the end!

Wow where's that feather when you need it? Who'd a guessed?? :D

Quote: chipolata @ April 28 2011, 12:53 PM BST

Yes, being a fan of well-written quality drama can be a thankless job at times!

ROFLLMAOLOL-!

David Tennant in Fright Night:

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 1:29 PM BST

David Tennant in Fright Night:

Does Georgia have a Russell Brand fetish as DT has taken the odd role which seems to require this look?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 12:20 PM BST

Ooh, that's very interesting! Moffat did say recently that this year would make you watch certain things last year in a new light. He really has been playing the long game.

I heard about this too! My friend is defo a "proper fan"!

I don't know why you're all assuming Moff has been playing some clever long game. From everything that's happened to date it looks to me like he's doing the same as RTD. Just because the Who team are loyal in saying he's had this big plan for River Song all along doesn't mean it's true.

I haven't got it on DVD but anyone care to go back to Silence in the Library and see if River's reaction to the Doc is consistent with what we are now being told?

And don't start on "Silence" being in the Library. If that ends up as significant then he's definitely made it up later.

I dunno. As soon as I saw the space suit I thought of that episode.

When did you become a Who fan, the Robyn? I don't remember seeing you in here much before.

Quote: Badge @ April 28 2011, 6:51 PM BST

I don't know why you're all assuming Moff has been playing some clever long game. From everything that's happened to date it looks to me like he's doing the same as RTD. Just because the Who team are loyal in saying he's had this big plan for River Song all along doesn't mean it's true.

I haven't got it on DVD but anyone care to go back to Silence in the Library and see if River's reaction to the Doc is consistent with what we are now being told?

And don't start on "Silence" being in the Library. If that ends up as significant then he's definitely made it up later.

I don't think he's been playing some long game since the first River episode. He obviously had ideas about who that character was supposed to be, but will clearly have then added a lot of stuff as he took over and decided to bring her back.

BUT, he has clearly had a few things in mind as he was writing his first series in charge that he knew he was going to be setting up for his second run. I don't doubt that he will have put up certain things without knowing exactly what they were going to turn out to be, but he was definitely seeding things for his second run last year.

Quote: Ben @ April 28 2011, 7:22 PM BST

When did you become a Who fan, the Robyn? I don't remember seeing you in here much before.

I've watched quite a lot of Who. I just avoid here because everyone gets shouty. :)

RTD doesn't know anything at all when he starts writing. I was at a talk a couple of years ago that he was doing, and he said more-or-less these exact words "Honestly, these BBC producers and script-people with their rules about plot and planning - I just start writing and make it up as I go along, and if I come to a dead end I just turn round and make up another road".

:O was my face.
Then Eh? , then :| and finally Teary