British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 660

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2011, 11:00 AM BST

It genuinely doesn't, Stott. And I say that as a bit of a SF geek.

Please explain what doesn't make sense. River has had a mixed up relationship with the Doctor as, as a time traveller, he has not entered her life each time in a chronological order. That's really it. The first time she met him, wasn't the first time he'd met her. The last time she meets him, was the first time he met her.

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2011, 10:54 AM BST

It's only because it doesn't make sense Danny, much like Merlin aging backwards. Apart from that it is fine. They state this is happening - but why and how does she know? Maybe it has happened in that order for a number of times but where is the logical explanation that it will happen the next time they met or the time after? I suspect a DEM explanation at the end somehow which is never really satisfactory.

But it does, they are both time travellers, perhaps it is our own perception that time must be linear, but the concept has been there for ages.

To both of them their time is linear, but to us (because we are only seeing the Doctors side..) River song seems in the wrong order. I am sure there will be people (ot even DVD extras which will show everything from Rivers POV and you know what... then the Doctors timeline with seem in the wrong order).

I'm only half joking when I say use Groundhog Day as a primer, to Andie MAcDowell she's hardly spent anytime with Bill Murry, yet he knows all about her because he's lived the day over and over. So in essecence his past is her present, but I didn't see many people not understanding that... maybe if there were mulitple days... perhaps Back to the Future 2 might be a better example.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 26 2011, 11:01 AM BST

Please explain what doesn't make sense. River has had a mixed up relationship with the Doctor as, as a time traveller, he has not entered her life each time in a chronological order. That's really it. The first time she met him, wasn't the first time he'd met her. The last time she meets him, was the first time he met her.

Yes... but where is the sense that this is going to keep happening??? Why?

It really isn't complicated. I think all River knows is that the first time she met the Doctor he knew all about her, and that there will come a time when he does not know her at all.

We understand all that... but what is the logic to why it is happening and why it will continue to happen in that order. They are time travelers they could meet in and out of sequence all the time. Look at the face of Bo or whatever he was called. What is the logic that they are going in opposite directions ALWAYS???

Explain that and I'll shut up.

But like I say all will no doubt be revealed in a big anti climatical DEM ending. My prediction.

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2011, 11:05 AM BST

Yes... but where is the sense that this is going to keep happening??? Why?

Because they are both time travellers...

Quote: Timbo @ April 26 2011, 11:07 AM BST

... and that there will come a time when he does not know her at all.

Which has already happened in that library story.

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2011, 11:08 AM BST

What is the logic that they are going in opposite directions ALWAYS???

Ah right, when did they say this was ALWAYS going to be the case I missed that as a statement of fact, maybe of River's perception but then perception is normally based on the evidence collected so far, so if that is how it seems to be happeneing at the moment...

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 26 2011, 11:10 AM BST

Where she died, and logically there has to come a time when she doesn't know him.

Quote: Timbo @ April 26 2011, 11:07 AM BST

It really isn't complicated. I think all River knows is that the first time she met the Doctor he knew all about her, and that there will come a time when he does not know her at all.

Why? Why's it happening like that? I'm struggling to understand why this is the case other than River said so.

I am not sure they are going in opposite directions always, though River certainly implied that. But I think when they compared diaries there were things they both remembered, which would not be the case.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 26 2011, 11:10 AM BST

Precisely.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 26 2011, 11:11 AM BST

Ah right, when did they say this was ALWAYS going to be the case I missed that as a statement of fact, maybe of River's perception but then perception is normally based on the evidence collected so far, so if that is how it seems to be happeneing at the moment...

That is the only issue Danny - everything else is fine, and that is what has been said and she keeps saying. She knows something is the secret - and they are both traveling time in different directions ALWAYS - this is where the logic isn't explained!

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2011, 11:08 AM BST

We understand all that... but what is the logic to why it is happening and why it will continue to happen in that order. They are time travelers they could meet in and out of sequence all the time. Look at the face of Bo or whatever he was called. What is the logic that they are going in opposite directions ALWAYS???

Explain that and I'll shut up.

As I said, you could argue it's contrived, but there's nothing illogical about the fact that it keeps happening. Surely it's something new to explore about a character who travels in time, dropping in on a character, but not in the right order.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 26 2011, 11:12 AM BST

Where she died, and logically there has to come a time when she doesn't know him.

Presumably her last story.

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2011, 11:12 AM BST

Why? Why's it happening like that? I'm struggling to understand why this is the case other than River said so.

Yes, could argue it's contrived, but there's no reason why it couldn't happen.

It's just The Moff doing his timey wimey wibbly wobbly bollocks.