British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 657

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 10:17 PM BST

But why - according to her big :( speech by the door - does he know less and less about her every time they meet?

Because he's a time traveller, and he keeps jumping around in her timestream as they meet, they're not meeting in a linear fashion. So the Doctor she first met when she was young is a Doctor who already went through all these, and other unseen adventures, with her. As she's got older, she's met earlier versions of him who would obviously have less experience of her, whilst her knowledge of him would be growing.

It's obviously just a dramatic device that he happens to meet this person in this fashion, so it's a bit contrived you could say, yeah.

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 10:18 PM BST

Matthew read your original post about the fact that at some time he will meet her and not know who she is and come back with that observation.

Quote: Griff @ April 25 2011, 10:20 PM BST

So the moment when the Doctor doesn't recognise River is in the Doctor's past and in River's future.

Fine. So if it's already happened to the Doctor, why haven't we seen it? Or is it a 'Missing Adventure' type thing that happened in the Tenth Doctor's past between seasons or somesuch?

Because that is what happened in the Library. Tennant's doctor had no idea who she was.

So the moment when the Doctor doesn't recognise River is in the Doctor's past and in River's future. (A la 'The Time Traveller's Wife' kind of thing)

Fine. So if it's already happened to the Doctor, why haven't we seen it? Or is it a 'Missing Adventure' type thing that happened in the Tenth Doctor's past between seasons or somesuch?

It was in Tennants Library two parter, she came in and knew all about him, he had no idea who she was.

So the moment when the Doctor doesn't recognise River is in the Doctor's past and in River's future.

Fine. So if it's already happened to the Doctor, why haven't we seen it? Or is it a 'Missing Adventure' type thing that happened between Tennant seasons or somesuch?

But isn't it great how they tease all this stuff out and completely don't pay it off because no f**ker has worked it out in the first place. And trust me... that is exactly the case. One meeting she's him, the next she's his daughter, the next she's the original female dalek, the next she's a ghost in a spacesuit, stoneangel, gas mask, wetsuit. Play out a series like they used to do. Don't make it a soap opera!! Grrr.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 10:21 PM BST

Because he's a time traveller, and he keeps jumping around in her timestream as they meet, they're not meeting in a linear fashion. So the Doctor she first met when she was young is a Doctor who already went through all these, and other unseen adventures, with her. As she's got older, she's met earlier versions of him who would obviously have less experience of her, whilst her knowledge of him would be growing.

It's obviously just a dramatic device that he happens to meet this person in this fashion, so it's a bit contrived you could say, yeah.

It's a nonsensical device that makes your brain bleed. and it makes you question the wisdom of building an entire series on the back of it.

I suspect at some point in the near future I'll welcome the Doctor coming out of the shower and realising the entire last few years were just a dream. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 10:23 PM BST

It was in Tennants Library two parter, she came in and knew all about him, he had no idea who she was.

So you're agreeing with me then, we do know more than he does, even though he knows everything?
There is really no need for this.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 10:25 PM BST

It's a nonsensical device that makes your brain bleed. and it makes you question the wisdom of building an entire series on the back of it.

I suspect at some point in the near future I'll welcome the Doctor coming out of the shower and realising the entire last few years were just a dream. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

Chip turn left... they have already done it :(

Quote: Griff @ April 25 2011, 10:26 PM BST

Fair point. I'd forgotten all that. However it didn't kill her though did it. So she's worrying about nothing. (Admittedly something else did).

It did. He was going to be heroic but she literally beat him to it and is supposedly saved to the library mainframe forever.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 10:25 PM BST

It may certainly be a brain bleeder, but it isn't nonsensical.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 10:29 PM BST

It may certainly be a brain bleeder, but it isn't nonsensical.

Yeah but that is! Laughing out loud

It makes me sad when you think how deftly the recent Star Trek film rebooted the entire franchise and reset the entire Trek universe with perfect clarity. And we get this dogs dinner. It is :(!

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 10:30 PM BST

It makes me sad when you think how deftly the recent Star Trek film rebooted the entire franchise and reset the entire Trek universe with perfect clarity. And we get this dogs dinner. It is :(!

Wheres the high five emoticon. Wave

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 10:29 PM BST

Yeah but that is! Laughing out loud

No, because there is sense to it, if you just think it through. I've just explained the sense to it! The internal logic of the relatonship. So it's complicated, but there is a clear sense.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 10:32 PM BST

No, because there is sense to it, if you just think it through. I've just explained the sense to it! The internal logic of the relatonship. So it's complicated, but there is a clear sense.

Matthew you are a fundalmentalist maybe just a mentalist but I would invite you in for a cup of tea. :)

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 10:28 PM BST

So you're agreeing with me then, we do know more than he does, even though he knows everything?
There is really no need for this.

No. Marc, we know as much as he does. Nothing more!! :D
He's learning at the same rate as the viewer.

What in the last episode when we know he is dead and he comes gurning into the room as the fourth invitee? Huh? Huh? Did he know as much as we did then did he? Did he?