British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 655

It's good that we're moving into the territory where the writing requires people to think.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 25 2011, 9:07 PM BST

Doctor Who isn't a f**king Poirot mystery, it's a kids telly show.

Clearly it isn't (just) a kids' telly show. Personally, I relish the most convoluted plots....assuming they make some sort of sense.

Quote: Gerkuman @ April 25 2011, 9:12 PM BST

It's good that we're moving into the territory where the writing requires people to think.

It depends what you want from the show. If you want to be challenged and wrong-footed at every plot turn then great. Personally I hate that. Or too much of it anyway. Obviously mystery and imaginative plot devices are all part of the Whoniverse but you can have too much of a good thing, and I just don't like Moffat's constant jumping back and forward through time. Yes, we get it he's a Timelord! Plus I don't like the doctor anywhere near as much as before - he seems rather aloof and dispassionate towards his friends. A bit of a dick, actually. Surely the Doctor shouldn't be a bit of a dick?

Just me, probably.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 25 2011, 9:07 PM BST

why Doctor Who isn't f**king Poirot is a mystery, it's a kids telly show.

I do not know which bit disturbs me the most

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 25 2011, 9:19 PM BST

Plus I don't like the doctor anywhere near as much as before - he seems rather aloof and dispassionate towards his friends. A bit of a dick, actually. Surely the Doctor shouldn't be a bit of a dick?

I don't get that at all; he seems delighted to see them, hugging them, having fun. I don't see where he's a dick to them, really.

Plus, that attitude wouldn't really be anything new; Tom baker could be quite the rude dick to his companions!
:P

Quote: Ben @ April 25 2011, 9:09 PM BST

I was also thinking that it would confuse kids.

Maybe the very young, I can't imagine most kids into double figures being unable to keep up.

Seems it's not just me who was left confused

http://reprog.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/the-impossible-astronaut-doctor-who-series-6-episode-1/

Obviously I'll be watching the rest of the series because I'm a Who fan. All I'm saying is this first episode left me cold. Maybe next week I'll see where the story was going and send myself a message through time to stop getting annoyed. But then that would create a paradox which would make the Universe explode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 9:30 PM BST

I can't imagine most kids into double figures being unable to keep up.

I'm 40 and I couldn't bloody keep up! :(

Moffat does have a worrying tendancy to write stories that are complete and utter nonsense. The series five final was fun but complete and utter bollocks with little or no logic.

I am slightly worried that this series he'll disappear up his own wazoo with time paradoxes and the like. Oh, and River moving one way in time while the Doctor goes the other way sounds great but is just gobbledegook that doesn't stand up too close scrutiny.

Good when the end product makes sense, such as in Memento or a Raymond Chandler novel, but bad if you're left with a big pile of silly tosh.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 9:53 PM BST

Moffat does have a worrying tendancy to write stories that are complete and utter nonsense.

Most of his stories have made sense.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 8:36 PM BST

I've read a few reviews that said this, sort of baffles me, it didn't seem hard to keep track of to me.

Talk us through the logistics simply then please Matthew.

Depends what they are thinking.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 9:58 PM BST

Most of his stories have made sense.

The resolution of the Pandorica episode was utter nonsense!

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 9:58 PM BST

Talk us through the logistics simply then please Matthew.

Why?

And yes, there are many things that at this moment we can't make head nor tail of, but that's because it's supposed to be a mystery, with a resolution to come later.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 10:00 PM BST

The resolution of the Pandorica episode was utter nonsense!

Yeah, but that's one story, he's written quite a few! The whale one was also dodgy, though he's admitted that himself.

Quote: chipolata @ April 25 2011, 9:53 PM BST

Oh, and River moving one way in time while the Doctor goes the other way sounds great but is just gobbledegook that doesn't stand up too close scrutiny.

Particularly when the audience knows more than the Doctor! And nicked from The Once and Future King. Balderdash I say.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2011, 10:00 PM BST

Why?

Just so we now we know?

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 10:01 PM BST

Particularly when the audience knows more than the Doctor!

What would us knowing more than The Doctor make something balderdash? And actually, we don't know more than him about River, do we? We know the same.

Quote: Marc P @ April 25 2011, 10:03 PM BST

Just so we now we know?

It seems like you're trying to make me 'trip up' in some way. Which isn't very nice, Marc!