British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 643

all the recent Docs have been ...wrong

annoying, gormless etc

they should have given it to that McGann fella

the one that did some Doctor Who radio shows with Sheridan Smith

he were good he were!

Oh dear, that tribute to Sarah Jane on CBBC made me very upset.

aww yeah she was great

very sad

loved her in the Tom Baker years

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 23 2011, 5:51 PM BST

I wonder if it had been just the same, but had still starred Tennant, your opinion would be any different..? Whistling nnocently

Well, duh, of course I would - since I think Tennant was a better Doctor than Smith is. Still probably wouldn't have been great though.

ANYWAY. I really enjoyed the new one! Very intriguing.

Quote: Ben @ April 23 2011, 6:58 PM BST

Oh dear, that tribute to Sarah Jane on CBBC made me very upset.

Will have to find it on iPlayer.

Quote: zooo @ April 23 2011, 7:02 PM BST

Well, duh, ANYWAY.

Bitch.
Whistling nnocently

:P

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 7:03 PM BST

The idea of an alien you can't ever remember is magnificent.

That was so excellent. Frightening and funny at the same time.

I thought it was a decent start, although I did groan when the Doctor was killed (not again!). And Richard Nixon as a character was wasted with a feeble actor and poor writing - he's one of the most notorious figures in history and that's the best they could come up with? Still, good old school monsters and Canton was great. Wonder if his will be a recurring character.

Hm. Spent the first few minutes mumbling ask him how old he is. What price its River in the suit?

Quote: KLRiley @ April 23 2011, 7:12 PM BST

Hm. Spent the first few minutes mumbling ask him how old he is.

Why?

If I have one complaint, it's not with the episode itself, but to the build up. We were promised someone would die, that it wasn't a trick, it was proper. Well, obviously it is a trick! Unless they're saying that this future version of Smith's Doctor is really the end and no one else will play the character. Which obviously isn't true. Somehow he will carry on past Smith, so it's not a proper death. I assumed we would see the end of a future Rory or Amy, and that the rest of the series would build to that coming true.

Anyhoo. The episode itself was great.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 23 2011, 7:18 PM BST

Why?

Didn't express it very well. But why else make a point of telling us that the Doctor was now two hundred years older than he had been in the previous series? Had to be a reason. And presto the guy in the diner was a mere 909.

I thought the someone will die stuff referred to the series? Although I didn't pay much attention to the PR puff.

Quote: chipolata @ April 23 2011, 7:26 PM BST

I thought the someone will die stuff referred to the series? Although I didn't pay much attention to the PR puff.

How did you avoid it Chip?

Quote: KLRiley @ April 23 2011, 7:25 PM BST

Didn't express it very well. But why else make a point of telling us that the Doctor was now two hundred years older than he had been in the previous series? Had to be a reason. And presto the guy in the diner was a mere 909.

It was because the Doctor who died was supposed to be a much later version than the one who walks back into the diner after he's 'died'.

Another irksome thing, was that the next time trailer seemed to spoil the cliffhanger somewhat. Which seems stupid. (I won't say why in case you didn't watch the trailer)

Quote: KLRiley @ April 23 2011, 7:26 PM BST

How did you avoid it Chip?

I just ignore it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 23 2011, 7:29 PM BST

It was because the Doctor who died was supposed to be a much later version than the one who walks back into the diner after he's 'died'.

Thats what I said Matthew. You asked why. Anyway roll on next week.