British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 114

Quote: simon wright @ April 19 2011, 8:38 PM BST

One thing that judging these thirty two scripts has brought home to us is how subjective comedy is.

Six people drew up six different shortlists.

What that means is, that although your script may not have got through to the final eight someone may well have championed it.

Is this it Marc? :)

Quote: Declan @ April 20 2011, 10:48 AM BST

Sorry Marc, we're too busy not filming the shows and not putting them on DVD to trail through the thread to prove that you were right.

We'll just accept that you were right. :P

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud ROFL

That was what I was referring to yes if that is what you meant?? :)

On behalf of the 8 qualifiers, I'd just like to say thanks for
everyones good-wishes.

Yes good luck to everyone involved, and Simon and Declan and hope the stages shows storm as I am sure they will. Be interesting to hear what the 'ideas' were behind the final eight. So you can kick off Bluey and give us your Radio Times entry for yours?? :)

Just realized that I didn't say congrats to the 8. Congratulations and well done. Break a leg all and may the best script win.

In response to Marc, and for anyone who's interested, here's my blurb:

Will Buckingham wants to turn the Museum of Things into Brighton's best small visitor attraction and win the respect of his successful father. There are only three problems: misanthropic gift shop manager Rose, chronically lazy tour guide Jackson, and manipulative lothario Marcus who runs Brighton Aquarium.

Can Will ever win his father's acceptance? Or is he doomed to stay trapped with these idiots forever?

Thanks for posting, Rich.

The synopsis makes it look all so easy - a sure sign of someone's great ability. It's all there with no fuss and the ingredients for all sorts of conflicts and capers. I think what is truly inspired, though, is the title - and is something already discussed here on this thread.

Well done and good luck!

The Sitcom Mission is to be all-the-more congratulated for the prize money and industry involvement they've arranged this year, as this example shows us, not everyone is so successful:

http://chortle.co.uk/news/2011/04/19/13151/funny_women_goes_pay-to-play

"The Funny Women competition is to start charge aspiring comedians to take part.

"Would-be comics are being asked to stump up £15 if they want to appear in one of the heats across the country this year, making it the first established competition to charge a 'pay-to-play'fee."

We are very lucky that, so far, no-one is threatening a Pay-To-Be-Read sitcom writing showcase, and long may that last.

Kev F
The Sitcom Trials
(Free to enter, deadline June, details at sitcomtrials.co.uk)

We've often considered an entry fee, and will consider it again in the future, but we'd refund it to those whom we showcased.

No Griff, we'd charge the writers who we asked to write an extra two episodes two more entry fees.

Declan, so can I pay you to showcase my sitcom? LOL...vanity publishing springs to mind

Let's just tot this up:

1200 scripts at 15 minutes each x minimum wage £6.50 per hour = £1950.

Yes, Bushbaby, call it a round £2K and the gig is yours.

Quote: bushbaby @ April 20 2011, 6:48 PM BST

Declan, so can I pay you to showcase my sitcom? LOL...vanity publishing springs to mind

As if anyone could think the services Simon and Declan offer are in any way similar to vanity publishing. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Declan @ April 20 2011, 6:50 PM BST

Let's just tot this up:

1200 scripts at 15 minutes each x minimum wage £6.50 per hour = £1950.

Yes, Bushbaby, call it a round £2K and the gig is yours.

I'm not submitting 1200, only one hahaha rip off merchant :D

Quote: chipolata @ April 20 2011, 6:51 PM BST

As if anyone could think the services Simon and Declan offer are in any way similar to vanity publishing. Whistling nnocently

Chip, doh, I am kidding, if I pay them to put my sitcom on....that equals vanity publishing....i.e....it does me no good at all , :)

I'm beginning to get it, nobody but nobody gets my humour, everyone thinks I am being serious. No wonder my sitcoms don't get anywhere :(

For instance, as if I'm serious calling Declan a rip off merchant when we all know he's a saint....I am kidding/ribbing, that's all

It's raw northern humour :)