British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 100

Quote: Griff @ March 24 2011, 3:04 PM GMT

Oh and the "Real writers don't get upset by rejection" macho schtick is utter nonsense. Of course successful people are (usually) the ones who keep going. But if you think writers and artists are, or should somehow be, impervious to criticism and immune to rejection, you haven't read enough biographies.

Of course, but you should be able to keep it in perspective and not sink into a depression for weeks every time, as you're going to get rejected A LOT. Slump back, sigh, see if there's anything you can learn from it, move on and forget. Quickly.

I've got it down to one-day psychotic rage, revenge and depression now. Then I'm okay day two.

But there's a lot of clearing up, obviously.

Dan

Quote: zooo @ March 24 2011, 6:54 PM GMT

That really is almost a psychotically bizarre overreaction.

Well, bear in mind she was very young. And quite a high achiever. She finds it jaw droppingly amazing herself now.

Or maybe, one involving a comic clique?

Quote: Buster Spleen @ March 24 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

I'm surprised most of you find the time to write sitcoms.I'm thinking maybe, I'll try writing one involving a website forum? Now where can I get the inspiration?

You ever heard of displacement activity? I've another 90 minutes of script to write by the 11th April. I'm putting it off as much as I can...

the "Real writers don't get upset by rejection" macho schtick is utter nonsense.

I don't think anyone actually said that, did they? It's certainly not what I wrote or intended the meaning to be perceived as. My point was that if not being on the 200 list made you stop writing or think about giving up, then lots of other things would too, and you were in for a shockingly miserable time (or very brief career) in this hugely cruel and cut-throat profession.

Hi, yes I have, but I find it works best if the activity I do is completely different. Good luck with your deadline! If you are anything like me, you work better under pressure. :)

Quote: Antrax @ March 24 2011, 7:06 PM GMT

Well, bear in mind she was very young. And quite a high achiever. She finds it jaw droppingly amazing herself now.

Ah, fair enough then. Most of us were slightly mental as teenagers.

Quote: the word girl @ March 24 2011, 7:22 PM GMT

I don't think anyone actually said that, did they? It's certainly not what I wrote or intended the meaning to be perceived as. My point was that if not being on the 200 list made you stop writing or think about giving up, then lots of other things would too, and you were in for a shockingly miserable time (or very brief career) in this hugely cruel and cut-throat profession.

I think you know deep down if you are kidding yourself, hoping luck, and not hard effort and just maybe a bit of luck will get you there. Wherever 'there' is?

Quote: Buster Spleen @ March 24 2011, 7:39 PM GMT

I think you know deep down if you are kidding yourself, hoping luck, and not hard effort and just maybe a bit of luck will get you there. Wherever 'there' is?

Simon Le Bons Yacht

*rolls drum*

Quote: sean knight @ March 24 2011, 7:42 PM GMT

Simon Le Bons Yacht

Drum? Whistling nnocently

Quote: Griff @ March 24 2011, 4:30 PM GMT

Yeah but on the plus side you're also held in the same esteem as the legendary fish finger helmet. Every cloud.

Please enlighten me as to what your incredibly great and sidesplittingly hilarious comic ideas are oh great one ? maybe some people enjoy surreal/absurdist humour you know. seems to have made a pretty deep impression on you anyway

Quote: alabastercodify @ March 24 2011, 9:03 PM GMT

Please enlighten me as to what your incredibly great and sidesplittingly hilarious comic ideas are oh great one ? maybe some people enjoy surreal/absurdist humour you know. seems to have made a pretty deep impression on you anyway

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!

Whoa!

Whoa!

Let's all just calm down, eh?

Simon and Declan were unprofessional in revealing specific details of scripts and exposing their writers to ridicule. I would have been furious if anything I'd entered in the competition was revealed on a public forum without my consent. I made a jokey point about them doing this on the night of the results but alas the point was missed.