British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 99

Maybe if Declan and Simon could film the 8 that get performed, we can all see what we're up against. They could sell the DVDs of the shows.
I'm not sure if the selected ones have lengthy dialogue, whereby I prefer 'clipped' i.e. say as little as possible to get the point/funnies over. I don't like lengthy 'speeches' in sitcoms.
If I could see what is preferred, it would help; not that I'd change my writing style :D

Quote: Badge @ March 24 2011, 2:08 PM GMT

But a list is only useful if it tells you anything and I can't see what this one will reveal that's of any use. Two people liked your script a bit better than 900 others. Probably a good chunk of the 900 are no-hopers, so maybe it means two people liked it a bit more than 'some' others. So unless you know you've written trash you are either in the 200 or not and either way you know it's only two guys' opinions.

It's the same two guys who will be running the competition next time :)

Quote: Badge @ March 24 2011, 2:08 PM GMT

...Two people liked your script a bit better than 900 others.

That is exactly why it is good to see that list - to know that TWO people who don't even know you thought your writing was good.

The argument against this list being published seems to be:

- Who cares what Simon and Declan think anyway
AND / OR
- If Simon and Declan don't like my work then I will NEVER WRITE AGAIN!

There are some very strong arguments for publishing the list coming out today (OK, so it's not a boy vs. girl thing) come on Declan and Simon. Do it! Do it! Do it! You know you want to...

Well, that got another seven or eight pages out of it. Who had Thursday at 2:49pm?

Dan

Hi all

Ok, we've made a decision.

We want to encourage everyone to come back next year, so we'd like to congratulate everyone who didn't make the 32 for coming joint 33rd.

For those who are looking for more than that, I shall point you towards our feedback systems:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/

Thanks for the debate, it's been really interesting, and thanks to Sarah for her input in this and for helping out with the blog.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ March 24 2011, 3:12 PM GMT

Hi all

Ok, we've made a decision.

We want to encourage everyone to come back next year, so we'd like to congratulate everyone who didn't make the 32 for coming joint 33rd.

For those who are looking for more than that, I shall point you towards our feedback systems:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/

Thanks for the debate, it's been really interesting, and thanks to Sarah for her input in this and for helping out with the blog.

Cheers, Declan

So you're saying you hold the masterpiece which I toiled over for years in the same regard as Things you can do on a train.

I'm flattered.

Sean, if only you'd sent in The Adventures of Simon and Declan...

I suppose at least both those scripts were memorable enough for a mention whereas my own dull effort didn't even pop up on the radar.

Maybe I should just give up writing forever Teary

Quote: Declan @ March 24 2011, 4:37 PM GMT

Its got legs.

Quote: Declan @ March 24 2011, 4:37 PM GMT

Just out of curiosity how would you have managed to stage that?

I'm thinking about writing something in that vein. Either a bizzare writing agency or a distopian 'Ministry of Fun' where comedy and entertainment is strictly regulated.

Quote: Griff @ March 24 2011, 3:04 PM GMT

But there seems to be two schools of thought - those who think that wanting to know how well you've done is a sign of weakness/amateurism

Well, that's not really my position. My position is that the information is essentially meaningless. I don't see that, as some have said, being on the list is genuinely an indication they're heading in the right direction. Or that not being on the list is a suggestion you should incline a different way.

I totally understand the need for some guidance or input. However I think individual critiques of your work are more useful in providing the sort of guidance that is useful.

A list is meaningless unless you know why you didn't make the short list. What elements worked that got you to the long list, what failed that meant you didn't go any further? Maybe you've a strong plot, good characters, but you need to punch up the funny? Or maybe the gags are great but the story is weak. There's no way of telling.

The long list is just a replacement for a proper critique that offers encouragement without any actual help.

Oh and the "Real writers don't get upset by rejection" macho schtick is utter nonsense. Of course successful people are (usually) the ones who keep going. But if you think writers and artists are, or should somehow be, impervious to criticism and immune to rejection, you haven't read enough biographies.

Well said. A friend of mine entered a junior national playwriting competition in her teens. She came third. The fact she didn't win made her think she was a failure and she quit for a good twenty years. I've only just managed to coax her back into it. And within two years she's outstripping me, the shit.

Yes, it's an extreme reaction, but this girl is brilliant. Brilliant. And that's the thing - I want good writers, not mediocre ones who can just take a lot more crap.

Quote: bushbaby @ March 24 2011, 2:35 PM GMT

Maybe if Declan and Simon could film the 8 that get performed, we can all see what we're up against. They could sell the DVDs of the shows.
I'm not sure if the selected ones have lengthy dialogue, whereby I prefer 'clipped' i.e. say as little as possible to get the point/funnies over. I don't like lengthy 'speeches' in sitcoms.
If I could see what is preferred, it would help; not that I'd change my writing style :D

From what I recall of last years shows (the ones I saw) there's no preference either way.

They prefer funny.

I think it's dangerous anyway trying to write towards the perceived tastes of someone else. You can only write what you yourself find funny and hope someone else will agree.

Oh. And now it appears that's all sort of redundant. Note to self - make sure you've read whole thread...

Agree with everything Antrax just wrote.

In a lot of professions, it's not the best that make it, it's the most determined.

Madonna's not the world's best singer or dancer or actor or anything really. But she's the most determined.

I'm surprised most of you find the time to write sitcoms.I'm thinking maybe, I'll try writing one involving a website forum? Now where can I get the inspiration?

Quote: Antrax @ March 24 2011, 6:50 PM GMT

A friend of mine entered a junior national playwriting competition in her teens. She came third. The fact she didn't win made her think she was a failure and she quit for a good twenty years.

That really is almost a psychotically bizarre overreaction.

Third? Grief if I'd come third in a national writing competition in my teens, nothing would have stopped me in a bid to take over the world. And annihilate the bastards who beat me.