British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 97

Quote: Griff @ March 23 2011, 6:08 PM GMT

You've helped a lot of actresses with their CV. 2007 - 2009 Daz advert; Hollyoaks In The City; Chipolata's avatar.

:D

I would love to see "the 200" list published in no particular order of preference. If not being on it is enough to discourage you from writing, then you're definitely in the wrong business. I'd like to see whether I made the list for the same reasons as Sarah - to gauge the progress of my sitcom writing and see how far off I was this time, in this particular competition. I think just naming a few stand-outs is a wee bit harsh on the other folk who made the 200 cut, so I would like to see the full list. Please.

I would like to see the full list too

I didn't enter. I might have mentioned this before. But I don't see much to gain overall from publishing any or all of the next 168. I quite like this viewpoint:

Quote: Antrax @ March 23 2011, 5:13 PM GMT

I think it's probably better to have some faith in your own abilities and assume that you were 33rd. And write a better script next time. Keep doing that and eventually you'll make the short list.

I also suspect, if I'm honest, that anyone who really wants to know whether they were on the list or not, really shouldn't find out. Because it's about not having enough confidence in your own script and wanting some affirmation from elsewhere. Believe in your own writing, people. If it's any good at all, it's in that 200. You should know that without having to be told, have faith. You've got to develop enough faith in your own material that you don't need one tiny affirmation (which is all this would be).

Having waited to see if my script made the last 32 of Sitcom Mission - it didn't - I now have to sit and wait to see if I've made the last 25 of Laughing Stock. Whether it does or doesn't I certainly won't want to know my personal or group ranking. These things are what they are - subjective. Even if I did make the next cut at Laughing Stock I'll still be gutted that I didn't make the next stage of Sitcom Mission because on the face of it - it seems the better opportunity. The showcase I could take or leave but to get on the radar of Hat Trick - I think that could be the ultimate prize.

Instead of publishing a top 200, Don suggests publishing the worst 200.

Naming and shaming these people may deter them from entering and clogging up future competitions.

Quote: Antrax @ March 23 2011, 11:12 PM GMT

I also suspect, if I'm honest, that anyone who really wants to know whether they were on the list or not, really shouldn't find out. Because it's about not having enough confidence in your own script and wanting some affirmation from elsewhere.

Nope. It's not, least not for me. I already work as a writer and scriptwriter. It's my career. I know I'm a good writer across a number of genres, and I have faith in my abilities. However, this was one of my first forays into sitcom writing, and I want as much pertinent feedback about it as possible in order to progress. It's not just about the winning, guys. :)

Quote: the word girl @ March 23 2011, 9:59 PM GMT

I would love to see "the 200" list published in no particular order of preference. If not being on it is enough to discourage you from writing, then you're definitely in the wrong business. I'd like to see whether I made the list for the same reasons as Sarah - to gauge the progress of my sitcom writing and see how far off I was this time, in this particular competition. I think just naming a few stand-outs is a wee bit harsh on the other folk who made the 200 cut, so I would like to see the full list. Please.

Exactly! Well said!

I genuinely don't understan all this anxiety about not being in the 200 list - why do people enter competitions and then get all upset about rejection? Everyone apart from the one person who wins will be rejected at some point in this process - that doesn't mean only one person out of 1200 is a capable writer!

Going off tack a bit.........
what do you peeps think about agents?
Should I get one, (maybe Declan and Simon can advise, they read my script :S )
or just keep writing and entering comps, and sending to BBC writers room etc.?

Quote: sarahbean @ March 24 2011, 8:31 AM GMT

Exactly! Well said!

I genuinely don't understan all this anxiety about not being in the 200 list - why do people enter competitions and then get all upset about rejection? Everyone apart from the one person who wins will be rejected at some point in this process - that doesn't mean only one person out of 1200 is a capable writer!

Well, I'm not saying it because of anxiety of not being in the list - I know I'm not as I didn't enter.

Have you seen what actually gets out of Writer's Room? Possibly the most successful pitch that has been made is MI High.
It also depends on what urgency you have about the process. Following Laughing Stock they are admitting to being at least a month behind.
If you're after an agent have you got any credits to encourage them that you're worth developing?

Declan/ Simon - Perhaps the best compromise here is not to publish a list, but just tell people who contact you directly and want to know? Then everyone could be happy. :)

Except perhaps for Simon and Declan, who would then have to send out anything up to 1600 emails individually, potentially followed by any number of rants about individual ratings...

Quote: KLRiley @ March 24 2011, 9:15 AM GMT

Have you seen what actually gets out of Writer's Room? Possibly the most successful pitch that has been made is MI High.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here - that's a show that's run for 5 series and is very popular with its target group. Are you saying that this ISN'T a successful show, or that it's a show you personally don't like (I'm guessing you're not in the target group though)? Or that as the pitch for this successful show came through Writer's Room, WR therefore has some successes?

Quote: andyblacksheep @ March 24 2011, 9:42 AM GMT

Except perhaps for Simon and Declan, who would then have to send out anything up to 1600 emails individually, potentially followed by any number of rants about individual ratings...

I'm not sure what you're getting at here - that's a show that's run for 5 series and is very popular with its target group. Are you saying that this ISN'T a successful show, or that it's a show you personally don't like (I'm guessing you're not in the target group though)? Or that as the pitch for this successful show came through Writer's Room, WR therefore has some successes?

Exactly. People have stated on here before that even if you beat the odds and get a network commission your script is likely to be changed beyond all recognition anyway in order to fit directors, actors, producers, scheduling, locations etc...

So you could submit the best script in the world and it could still end up a turd on the screen.