British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 95

Quote: PATSYB @ March 19 2011, 7:18 PM GMT

Hi all,
... my sit com is set in an elderly care home(i have a nursing background so decided to write about what I know) ...

Can I just add that despite the elderly theme, I didn't mention a wheelchair once, honest!

Hi Patsyb, mine too was set in a nursing home and looking at staff, rather than the patients - great minds think alike?

However, I did mention the W word as one of the patients sat in one but I hoped that, as it was no more significant than the word 'table' that I wouldn't get hammered because of it. (I had no idea there was so much prejudice in the world towards wheeled inanimate objects.)

I still didn't get through though, but I sure as hell did enjoy the writing part.
Cheers
Jon

@Sean Knight HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! More!

Still loving it Sean.

While I'm here, we'll be doing our script recording service on April 16, so if you want a CD recording, let us know before that date.

Cheers, Declan

Hi Declan,
I would like to reserve a place as well please but the script isn't quite ready yet either. I had it read by one of your readers when you extended the deadline date for submissions but because the feedback arrived too late for me to anything with, I'm in the process of doing it now. I also want to submit the second episode as well if that's alright. How long will the feedback be out of the 45 mins? Is there space for the second episode?
I don't have a pay-pal account so I had to write a cheque for the reading service. This took over a week by the time it was posted, arrived and cleared. Is there an opportunity to pay by card for your reading service or will I need to send a cheque too?
Thanks.

Hi all

Our latest blog is here, it's a correspondence we had with a writer after last week's long list was released. We have our own thoughts on this, but we'd appreciate yours as well.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

And we've still got a few places left on our Introduction to Sitcom Writing course in London on Saturday April 2

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

And you can also take advantage of our new script reading service. The first date for readings is on April 16, and there's a couple of slots still remaining but they're going fast

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/4/

Cheers all, have fun and keep writing

Declan

Quote: Marc P @ March 20 2011, 2:18 PM GMT

Are you guys going to be using Laura Evelyn again?
Cheers
Marc

Just thought I'd ask this again, or have you not decided yet? Cheers Declan, Marc.

Re: the blog. I think if you do post the top 200, people will then wonder how close to the 200 they were if they weren't on it. Then so on and so on until you publish all 1200+ sitcoms in order of preference, so we all know *exactly* where we ended up, and rendering the top 8 pointless as seven finalists know they were beaten already!

Don't get me wrong: the worst thing about this writing malarkey is the silence you get. I'd rather someone ripped into my work; the not knowing is the the worst bit. However, it's unmanageable. Also, Si's top 1200 won't be in the same order as Dec's 1200 and it's all subjective.

That's my uneducated opinion anyway.

Dan

I would say just do as you think Declan ......you're running the show :)

Hi Sarah,

If you are reading this why not put your entry up in the critique section, and you may get some encouraging reviews. A few people have done so and in the main it has been a positive thing.

I think I'd rather not know. It doesn't make any difference to the outcome of the competition or my next project(s).
Embrace your failure, learn from it and move on.

Stay tuned for Dans adventures in biscuit land

Honourable mentions? Wouldn't that just open a whole can of worms for them though? Not that everyone would do it but you'd get a few SO WHAT THE F*$K WAS WRONG WITH IT THEN?!?!?!?!?! emails from unhinged types.

Quote: Griff @ March 23 2011, 11:26 AM GMT

But those unhinged types will demand to know what was wrong whether they were honourable mentions or not.

Good job you got through then :P

If it was me running it I think it would cause a hell of a lot of problems. The only fair way to do it would be to email back 1209 entries with feedback which just isn't realistic. And you'd still get nutters emailing you.

Not that I know anything about running a writing competition of course.

I think its a good idea.
If it were to be added to the 'rules/terms' in next year's comp, it wouldn't put anyone off entering :)

But Griff. You're bound to get through the next stage because you went on the course.

I think people need to be a little more honest with themselves without being so hard on themselves as well. A lot of people have posted stuff in the critique section opening with their own observations on where they think it went wrong. Good! But there's also some self pitying ones. It's a bit cliche but don't beat yourself up. You had a go and good on you for doing it. How many friends and family, the arsehole at work etc would even dream of doing it. Learn and move on. Take the criticism, do your homework, put more effort in.

And then submit exactly the same entry to Sitcom Trials.

You do know my tongue is firmly in my cheek, right?