British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 61

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 3:47 PM GMT

Cripes. That's a fair effort. I would have thought you'd have just split the pile into two and both sifted out your favourites from the 600-odd.

We did think of that, but we've learned that reading so many scripts leads to moments of 'comedy burnout' where nothing is funny. Because we both read everything we hoped we'd reduce the chances of missing something good. Dec might be alert while I'm in a coma and vice versa.

Well, have to say that the way you both have handled the whole competition (not forgetting the competitors...)- and from start to finish, deserves a commendation from someone, somewhere - and I'm not sucking up. Whatever happens with mine, thanks for the opportunity...

MIWC = Mercurial Insensitive Water Channel, or Mine Warfare Co-ordinator.

http://www.all-acronyms.com/MIWC

Or possibly Michegan Independent Wrestling Central

http://www.miwc.cjb.net/

Or Montreal International Women's Conference.

http://miwc2010.wordpress.com/a-propos-de-cifm-about-miwc/miwc-convenors/

Happy to clear up that little confusion Angelic

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 4:07 PM GMT

You've just read the equivalent of 155 Shakespeare plays.

Although the spelling is less erratic in Shakespeare.....

Quote: simon wright @ March 14 2011, 3:55 PM GMT

The writer simply abandons the idea and his characters are left like the poor sod who wears a really elaborate costume to a fancy dress party, gets one laugh, then has to look a complete idiot for the rest of the evening.

Ahhh, I've been there.

The one laugh I mean, my fancy dress ideas are stellar.

Relieved to see that nothing from my script made it to the "I never want to read about another..." list (partially defrosted chickens weren't a hot topic then?). Nor, to the best of my knowledge has any quote from it featured amongst the "OMG Can you believe some twonk submitted this grammatical faux pas?!" postings. There is a fridge reference but I think I made it clear a real one wasn't crucial to the staging. Hopefully, it's OK to have a dead animal on stage as long as it's oven ready, although one of my proofreaders did suggest that the actresses would need to wear gloves to avoid the risk of salmonella.

Quote: louise bentinck @ March 14 2011, 4:08 PM GMT

Well, have to say that the way you both have handled the whole competition (not forgetting the competitors...)- and from start to finish, deserves a commendation from someone, somewhere - and I'm not sucking up. Whatever happens with mine, thanks for the opportunity...

totally agree. I am so impressed

Perhaps I should start next years entry like this.

INT.OFFICE - DAY

SIMON sits at a computer sifting through script entries. He is close to suicide. He opens a script for entitled wheels of fire and groans. DECLAN enters wearing a spotty dog costume pushing a Jeremy Clarkson effigy in a wheelchair.

DECLAN
Wot are you reeding now Simon?

SYMON
1 weelchair script two many

DECLAN
Why don't you leeve that and come and watch telly with me

Not a bad start eh?

Quote: sean knight @ March 14 2011, 1:56 PM GMT

Actually, when has it worked? A sitcom set mostly in a pub. I can't think of one .

Cheers?

Sean Knight's The Suicide Squad will be released on DVD soon.

Dan

Quote: sean knight @ March 14 2011, 4:19 PM GMT

Perhaps I should start next years entry like this.

INT.OFFICE - DAY

SIMON sits at a computer sifting through script entries. He is close to suicide. He opens a script for entitled wheels of fire and groans. DECLAN enters wearing a spotty dog costume pushing a Jeremy Clarkson effigy in a wheelchair.

DECLAN
Wot are you reeding now Simon?

SYMON
1 weelchair script two many

DECLAN
Why don't you leeve that and come and watch telly with me

Not a bad start eh?

Loved it.

:D

Quote: bushbaby @ March 14 2011, 3:59 PM GMT

MIWC?.....man In Woman's Costume?

Always with the transvestites BB :)

Quote: Marc P @ March 14 2011, 4:34 PM GMT

Always with the transvestites BB :)

hahaha I wish :D

Good luck everyone.

Thanks Si and Dec.

Fingers crossed for two things to happen (a thing per finger I guess), first of all for my script to get selected and secondly, if my script isn't chosen, hopefully the results will be posted a minute too late and I can sue the website for false advertisement/promises.

I'm rubbish at law but I'm brilliant at handling rejection badly so prepare yourselves...

Ash

Quote: simon wright @ March 14 2011, 4:00 PM GMT

We did think of that, but we've learned that reading so many scripts leads to moments of 'comedy burnout' where nothing is funny. Because we both read everything we hoped we'd reduce the chances of missing something good. Dec might be alert while I'm in a coma and vice versa.

Also, Simon started with the most recent entries and worked his way back, and I started with the first entry and worked my way through to 23.59 on the 28th, which seems like a lifetime ago.