British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 60

Is it too late to take back what I said before being bombarded with Sitcoms that I'd forgotten about.

Its always sunny in Philadelphia is set in a bar

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 2:00 PM GMT

Cheers did fairly well.

:D

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 2:01 PM GMT

real sitcom wonks

How do you define a 'wonk' Griff?

Quote: Penge @ March 14 2011, 2:03 PM GMT

How do you define a 'wonk' Griff?

With an array of carefully selected words

Quote: Declan @ March 13 2011, 9:42 PM GMT

We're attempting to sort it so that everyone gets a yes or no email at the same time, and we'll put the longlist up here at 23.59 tomorrow night.

A late night reveal...

If it's good news, I won't sleep, because I will immediately believe I am going to be the next Ricky Gervais (but minus the beard,smugness, impressive back catalogue or bank account). Copious amounts of unhinged whooping and a Macarena will ensue.

If it's bad news, I won't sleep, because I will have to drink gin and rock in a dark corner all night, wailing at all the tennis matches I will now never get to play with Jonathan Ross. My Macarena will be replaced by a Garbo-esque solo tango to the theme tune from Mastermind.(It does most nights, in fairness...)

Good luck everyone.

Have just finished reading every single script (though not, I confess every single word).

Why isn't there a emoticon for 'thank God that's over'?

Console

Best I can do with what's there Simon.

Quote: simon wright @ March 14 2011, 10:45 AM GMT

Interesting variation on 'rigid has just turned up:

'...Jeremy's body is ridged'.

Ha ha ha ha!

Oh, wait - that's mine. Dammit.

Quote: Dicksplash @ March 14 2011, 10:30 AM GMT

I remember a wise old postman I worked with once who told me that the guys that get all the women in life are either pig ugly or incredibly good looking the rest of us get nothing......this has helped me through many rejections.

Women get pig-ugly guys because the majority of gorgeous ones are gay

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 3:00 PM GMT

What, you both read all 1200 ??!!

Why do you think I've turned into Lynne Truss?

Yep. We both read absolutely every single script. It's exhausting, it's crazy, it physically hurts at times but it's the only way we can be sure we don't miss a gem.

Right now, I never want to read about another:

Dole office
flat
undertakers
wheelchair user
support group
dating agency
man in whacky costume
or bleeding call centre.

Above all I'd urge those who aren't naturally gifted at spelling and grammar to let a friend proofread your script before you send it out. That would spare us such examples (both from this morning) as: 'Chalie is next too her' (Charlie is next to her) and 'he is now trusting his hips'.

Grrrrrrrrr. Edukation. Edducation. Educayshion.

If only we'd charged a tenner to enter...

Quote: simon wright @ March 14 2011, 3:41 PM GMT

Right now, I never want to read about another:

Dole office
flat
undertakers
wheelchair user
support group
dating agency
man in whacky costume
or bleeding call centre.
If only we'd charged a tenner to enter...

So, I guess my entry about the Dole officer who takes the crippled undertaker back to his flat where they meet a whacky man in costume and decide to set up a dating agency at their call centre did not get through to the next stage?!?!

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 3:47 PM GMT

Whistling nnocently

Wasn't thinking of you, Griff. Your premise allows for MIWC.

What gets up my nose is the wholly conventional flatshare that starts with a man dressed as a penguin/meerkat/giant baby because it's visually arresting (even though it's subsequently unjustified). The writer simply abandons the idea and his characters are left like the poor sod who wears a really elaborate costume to a fancy dress party, gets one laugh, then has to look a complete idiot for the rest of the evening.

I have a quick question - if a line from my screenplay gets quoted by a judge on this forum, do you think it would be OK for me to start calling myself a 'published writer'?

MIWC?.....man In Woman's Costume?