British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 54

Quote: KLRiley @ March 14 2011, 12:18 PM GMT

Honestly Clegg is past satire. I can't think of funnier things to make him say than he says himself.

Small rant time. The phones have been silent all morning. I have been wrestling with Baldrick being interviewed by Miles (as I suppose will thousands of others) and at 2 minutes to twelve both of the damn phones go off. Typical. Sent in what I had but the punchline evaporated. I need a writing partner who's funny.

I also had my leotard on wrestling with Baldric. In the end I salvaged the funniest joke as a Newsjack App (but could also be shoehorned into someone elses cunning plan sketch).

As an aside, this is writing to aspire to:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0028388/quotes

Quote: chipolata @ March 14 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

It'll be a weird show this week when the biggest story is the earthquake in Japan yet I can't imagine anyone would be foolhardy enough to submit jokes on the subject.

My submissions were:

- One sketch on Japan
- One sketch on the arms trade
- One Miles Jupp interviews Miles Jupp

Bravely tackling the subjects no-one else will or week 6 cabin fever setting?

Quote: StephenM @ March 14 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

My submissions were:

- One sketch on Japan
- One sketch on the arms trade

Bravely tackling the subjects no-one else will or week 6 cabin fever setting?

Glad to know someone else was brave enough to have a go at Japan. My others were a very brief sketch on Chris Patten as chair of the BBC Trust and the Baldrick as mentioned earlier.

What is this Baldrick story I've completely missed? All Google tells me about is some people shaving their head for a cancer charity.

Quote: StephenM @ March 14 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

My submissions were:

I like it! Sounds really interesting...

Unfortunately for me, I came up mostly empty this week. I did submit a sketch where Miles interviews Nick Clegg just after his conference speech. I was pretty sure nobody else would do that (didn't seem like big news), so imagine my surprise when I read here that actually, no, everybody did that... I did shoehorn a reference to Eurovision into it though.

Quote: StephenM @ March 14 2011, 2:34 PM GMT

What is this Baldrick story I've completely missed?

The story was about the Metropolitan Police, who in order to tackle the student protests, had developed a "cunning plan". Here is the story from the BBC. I've written a sketch based on the story as well, but mine was more akin to Blackadder itself.

My two sketches were Nick Clegg running a Full Metal Jacket style bootcamp to toughen the Lib Dems up and Tarantino trying to work on his latest film with his neighbour's tropical birds constantly interrupting ... with hilarious consequences ;)

Would love to see a recording of the Miles interviews Miles sketch - bet it'd be a blast!

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 3:04 PM GMT

This sounds very funny :D

You haven't read it :P

My only sketch and last hope for this series is the story that David Cameron is making public wellbeing/happiness a performance indicator for all government policies. It basically involves a Miles interview with Ken Dodd. I am not holding out much hope as it was pretty rushed and finished at work with minutes to spare.

I have a pretty demanding job and busy family life and don't really devote enough time to writing for NJ or in fact anything. As I have got older (now 44) I find I can only write if I am not frazzled by other work/family stuff. That's as good an excuse as I can make!

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 11:01 PM GMT

Linking Ken Dodd to the DC Happiness Index is a great idea. :D Good luck!

And a topical show that still does Jimmy Savile sketches is clearly in the market for some Dodd. I'd actually love to hear Lewis's Doddy impression.

Cheers Griff. I don't know if it was a strong enough story though.

No sketches this week. I've got a few one-liners but in areas that are likely to be flooded with similar gags.

Quote: Will Cam @ March 14 2011, 10:59 PM GMT

I have a pretty demanding job and busy family life and don't really devote enough time to writing for NJ or in fact anything. As I have got older (now 44) I find I can only write if I am not frazzled by other work/family stuff. That's as good an excuse as I can make!

That's the same excuse as I've got. More plausible than 'I've been trapped under a wardrobe' or 'Whenever I type I have to masturbate furiously until I fall asleep'. Good luck with the sketch.

Quote: Ishy @ March 15 2011, 12:09 AM GMT

'Whenever I type I have to masturbate furiously until I fall asleep'.

Is it more reliable than Tipp-ex?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 14 2011, 2:49 PM GMT

The story was about the Metropolitan Police, who in order to tackle the student protests, had developed a "cunning plan". Here is the story from the BBC. I've written a sketch based on the story as well, but mine was more akin to Blackadder itself.

I heard that reference, but thought it was too obvious...

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 15 2011, 8:34 AM GMT

Quite a few of us couldn't resist it. I'm sure if doesn't make NJ, it will be on the Now Show

Quote: Griff @ March 14 2011, 11:01 PM GMT

Linking Ken Dodd to the DC Happiness Index is a great idea. :D Good luck!

And a topical show that still does Jimmy Savile sketches is clearly in the market for some Dodd. I'd actually love to hear Lewis's Doddy impression.

I always throught that Doddy should do more satirical material. I can imagine him doing a gag along the lines of: "What a beautiful day, what a beautiful day, for ramming a lightning rod up the Prime Minister's trousers and saying 'How shocking a scandal is this!'"

I'm actually going to see Miles Jupp tonight. He's performing his Edinbrugh show in Darlington (the one about him pretending to be a cricket reporter).

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 15 2011, 8:34 AM GMT

That's why I sent my sketches early, becuase I thought that if I got in with a Baldrick/cunning plan sketch first, I'd have a better chance of getting the sketch in.

Mind you, seeing as how there is only one story in the news at the moment, they will welcome a bit more variety.