British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 52

I also thought it was a strong episode. Particularly liked the fanny gag and Dan's twist on Newsfox which I think it needed but now have no idea what they do with it next week. My personal favourite was the Barnsley sketch. I sent one in but that was much funnier.

FWIW I did notice not a lot of writers from Ep4 were credited on Ep5, whether that was related to the change in tone I don't know but it shows there's a lot of good competition out there.

Quote: RJ @ March 11 2011, 12:16 PM GMT

Bit early isn't it, old chap?

Perhaps, but I think my material is strong. Also it means I can concentrate on the one-liners from now on.

Quote: Griff @ March 11 2011, 12:37 PM GMT

Too soon for a Godzilla sketch this week?

:O

Rubberduckzilla might have more success

Rooooaaaaarrrrrr!

Dan

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 11 2011, 10:40 AM GMT

So I had one joke in Series 3, now it's two in Series 4, if it ever makes it to series 50 or so at this rate I'll be writing the whole shebang!

Until this series my hit rate matched the series number. Sadly, barring a hattrick miracle next week it looks like I peaked at 3 and am now on the downward slope...

Quote: Griff @ March 11 2011, 12:37 PM GMT

Too soon for a Godzilla sketch this week?

What's he been up to now? He can never keep out of trouble, that one...

If you're being picky (and someone might be) not techinically Newsjack but heard that James Kettle had a credit on tonight's Now Show.
Am I right in thinking that James got onto NJ as one of us intially? If so, worth making a big effort for the last round of the series.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 11 2011, 7:04 PM GMT

If you're being pciky (and someone might be) not techinically Newsjack but heard that James Kettle had a credit on tonight's Now Show.
Am I right in thinking that James got onto NJ as one of us intially? If so, worth making a big effort for the last round of the series.

It's worth mentioning that James Kettle is also a stand up, and he first came to prominence as part of Witty and Twisted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newtalent/showmethefunny/wittyandtwisted/finalists.shtml

So he was known before Newsjack started. I believe he's now a staff writer at Radio Ent.

Thank you RJ. I stand corrected. But in a very polite and genteel way. I'm new to this.

Well, he was a non-comm on that first series of 'Newsjack' - it's just he was already on the Beeb's radar before then and, as a stand-up, had more product to sell, as it were.

There's certainly been a rise of the writer/performer during the last ten years and if you want that staff writing job, chances are you've got to be doing both really.

Quote: RJ @ March 11 2011, 7:25 PM GMT

Well, he was a non-comm on that first series of 'Newsjack' - it's just he was already on the Beeb's radar before then and, as a stand-up, had more product to sell, as it were.

There's certainly been a rise of the writer/performer during the last ten years and if you want that staff writing job, chances are you've got to be doing both really.

(bangs head at wall due in no small part to people's insistence that writers and performers are the same entity...)

I know, I know...

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 12 2011, 3:49 PM GMT

(bangs head at wall due in no small part to people's insistence that writers and performers are the same entity...)

?

Are you saying that writers can't also be performers??

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2011, 5:09 PM GMT

?

Are you saying that writers can't also be performers??

I wasn't saying anything. I was banging my head. As a non-performing writer, I am biased, but writing is quite a lonely, thoughtful activity, performing is a social, outgoing activity. They shouldn't really mix.