British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 50

I wish I had spent more time thinking about the title of mine now as it appears a two word title can, apparently, tell you all you need to know. Wait, hold on, this was a sitcom writing competition...ok panic over.

Reading this thread has made me realise that my sitcom had a title that was way too gay to ever get anywhere. With this in mind, I'm going to re-title it, making it more aggressive and including the funniest word in the English language.

Pant Attack is the new name, and will be out in the public domain once I've heavily re-written it to include killer underpants. I suspect my writing partner might be a bit put out that our rather staid, but nevertheless quite witty, office based sitcom is going to take a sharp turn to the left, but that's partnerships for you.

In Security. Guess what that's all about.

Quote: Krusty @ March 12 2011, 12:11 PM GMT

In Security. Guess what that's all about.

Erectile Dysfunction?

The IT Crowd.

Descriptive but clever.

I read an article written by the creator of arrested development titled "how to get a sitcom canceled". one of his reasons was the title itself. He explains that arrested development gave no clue to an audience as to what the show was about.

For example men behaving badly is aimed at men about men not acting their age. It couldn't be clearer for an audience. but arrested development could be about anything, there isn't any indication that its even a sitcom.

So maybe a title can be hugely influential in selling your show to an audience.

Oh and FYI mine is called "Winner of the sitcom mission 2011". Im relying on a administrative error to see me through.

Quote: Griff @ March 12 2011, 10:21 AM GMT

A small part of my dislike of Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please is forever due to the title.

There is no 'Please' in the title - the show isn't that polite sadly Griff.

This is an interesting discussion on titles. I'd suggest no one gets too attached to their title - it'd probably be different by the time it gets to the broadcast stage. Julie Bower's new Radio 4 commission, mentioned earlier, is called 49 Cedar Street... it was The House on Cedar Street previously. I'm not sure of the reason for the change in title in this case, but it might be to do with length. The Radio Times etc is tight on space and a shorter title allows for a longer write-up.

Now 'looking good' on the EPG (electronic programming guide) is more important to the TV channels than ever, so they might well re-titled your sitcom if they want it to fit the schedule box, be less 'abrasive', or look more interesting.

Recent examples: The Scum Also Rises was re-titled The Persuasionists; Admin became Lunch Monkeys; and Young, Unemployed And Lazy became the shorter Him & Her.

I'm trying to remember the name of the comedy that had to be re-named after it was realised that Sky's EPG cut the title short at a point which turned it into a rude word...

I'm very attached the title of my effort and will insist it remains for when it goes on the telly.

From the real life stuff: 'Last of the Summer Wine' Just seems to convey so much charm yet remain enigmatic.

I think?

Quote: Jinky @ March 12 2011, 11:02 AM GMT

Reading this thread has made me realise that my sitcom had a title that was way too gay to ever get anywhere. With this in mind, I'm going to re-title it, making it more aggressive and including the funniest word in the English language.

Pant Attack is the new name, and will be out in the public domain once I've heavily re-written it to include killer underpants. I suspect my writing partner might be a bit put out that our rather staid, but nevertheless quite witty, office based sitcom is going to take a sharp turn to the left, but that's partnerships for you.

I wonder if this is how David Cameron feels every day. No Nick, you can't call it The Big Underpants. No Nick I'll not try and slip the phrase 'Charlie Sheen's Boxer Shorts' into PMQ. Actually Nick, you can rename it the Alternative Petticoat if you want.

Nick Clegg must feel like my six year old kid. I've told him he can help me fix my motorbike but all he gets to do is hold a spanner and be given abrupt answers everytime he opens his mouth.

I wonder who'll bore of it first.

I like the allegory of the motorbike. Really hit the spot this end!

Quote: Samuel Lees @ March 12 2011, 1:36 PM GMT

I read an article written by the creator of arrested development titled "how to get a sitcom canceled". one of his reasons was the title itself. He explains that arrested development gave no clue to an audience as to what the show was about.

Though really in some ways, it actually does, as Arrested Development perfectly describes the kind of characters and relationships that populate the show. I suppose he could always have titled it 'The My Stupid, Selfish Family Really Annoy Me, But I can't Quite Bring Myself To Abandon Them, Because Even Though I Think I'm Better Than Them, I'm Actually Just As Messed Up Show'.

That article was also quite tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken wholly seriously.

Quote: chipolata @ March 12 2011, 5:08 PM GMT

That article was also quite tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken wholly seriously.

Quite.

I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to learn how to format a script for radio. I feel pretty confident about writing a TV script but know absolutely nothing about the other. Any suggestions for good books or other info to help?
P.S. Good luck for Monday everyone!