British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 44

I suppose there is a debate over whether you should write relevant material that people can relate to or whether you should go the original route and write something off the wall and out-there.

I think Simon and Declan are open to all concepts as long as its funny and they wouldnt dismiss a script on the basis of it being, say, about the recession if it had legs and was funny enough.

I never really write much topical material. I seem to gravitate towards the outlandish. Mine is about a pair of detectives who adapt elements of the 19th Century but the action is set in modern day in a sort of parallel universe.

Its going to be the longest weekend ever!!! Huh?

I already know I'm not through, but quite hoping to see some BCGers on that list!

I wrote a 19th century detective comedy. We should join forces and fight crime in the way that only nosey civillians with outlandish names can do.

Guys, for all those of you who are waiting on tenterhooks for Monday's announcement, can I suggest something?

Start writing something else.

It'll

a) take your mind off Monday
b) be productive
c) hopefully be enjoyable

Anybody who is pinning their future writing career on getting longlisted for The Sitcom Mission isn't going to have much of a career. I'm not belittling what we do - or anyone who entered, I praise you all - but those who are going to be successful in this industry are those who have a force of nature that is unstoppable, not those who have stopped to see what's happening along the way.

Have fun, and, as Brucie and Tess would say, "Keep writing!"

Quote: Feeoree @ March 10 2011, 1:57 PM GMT

I already know I'm not through, but quite hoping to see some BCGers on that list!

How do you know you aren't through?

Well said Declan. I'm in the middle of writing my sci-fi drama at the moment and just trying to work out if I should put in deliberate mini cliffhangers for adverts or just write a 60 minute episode and pray the BBC pick it up.
I can't concentrate on writing that during the day though as the kids would destroy the house so I've taken to forum badgering

Yeah, I tend to write loads. It's not just this particular story I'm still writing in bits, but a couple of other things I've been writing a while too (one of which may be used as an entry for Red Planet Prize if that swings around again this year).

Quote: rwayne @ March 10 2011, 1:59 PM GMT

How do you know you aren't through?

'Cos mine is rubbish!

Quote: Declan @ March 10 2011, 1:59 PM GMT

Guys, for all those of you who are waiting on tenterhooks for Monday's announcement, can I suggest something?

Start writing something else.

It'll

a) take your mind off Monday
b) be productive
c) hopefully be enjoyable

Anybody who is pinning their future writing career on getting longlisted for The Sitcom Mission isn't going to have much of a career. I'm not belittling what we do - or anyone who entered, I praise you all - but those who are going to be successful in this industry are those who have a force of nature that is unstoppable, not those who have stopped to see what's happening along the way.

Have fun, and, as Brucie and Tess would say, "Keep writing!"

I'm going to start work on "If only I could write something funny"

Ditto. Am writing a comedy drama and drama whilst biting my nails.

It is theraputic to come on here from time to time. Plus being new to all this I like to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Bx

well, I'm off for the weekend tomorrow and to the Olivier awards, so I've plenty to think of :D
Be back Monday eve.

Quote: Feeoree @ March 10 2011, 2:18 PM GMT

Yeah, I tend to write loads. It's not just this particular story I'm still writing in bits, but a couple of other things I've been writing a while too (one of which may be used as an entry for Red Planet Prize if that swings around again this year).

'Cos mine is rubbish!

Tut! Why are you entering competitions with 'rubbish'?

Good luck, BushBaby!

Quote: Declan @ March 10 2011, 2:27 PM GMT

Good luck, BushBaby!

Thanks Declan............arrive on the red carpet...GULP

Is the award for the Larry Olivier Luvvie of the year?

Only kidding, fingers crossed BB.

@ rwayne - Because until 27th Feb, I thought it was alright, ha. Plus I'd feel better entering crap than not entering at all.

@ bushbaby - Good luck!