British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 39

Quote: Griff @ March 7 2011, 10:23 AM GMT

Voting does not engage the audience. Good comedy engages the audience.

I know it's become a bit of an over-familiar feature of TV since I invented the Sitcom Trials in 1999, but way back then the idea of an audience voting and having some influence over a show seemed quite novel and the sort of notion that might catch on.

6 months later Big Brother started, and within 18 months telly was full of voting shows. A decade on, with telly stiff with Strictly, I'm A Celebrity, X Factor et al, I can understand people being sick of them, well Griff is at the very least. But I don't seem to have been the only person who thought voting might engage an audience. I'm just the only one who didn't manage to make a fortune from the idea.

Kev F

Quote: Griff @ March 7 2011, 3:05 PM GMT

The Sitcom Mission have an incentive to find the best possible scripts to present to Hat Trick, because if it goes on to get produced/commissioned, they get a percentage from the commission fees

Aha, good point. So, Dec & Si, you finally got that contract sorted out, (which viewers might know dogged previous Trials). When last I tried to hammer out a contractual agreement, obliging every writer who entered a script to remain linked to us if they were commissioned at the end, it caused more problems and objections than we could square. I'm guessing Hat Trick are the sort of people who can sort out that sort of thing.

Back in the day I drafted a contract which all contributing writers signed. It was as legally binding as cheese string, as the hefty percentage I take from every episode of Miranda testifies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jXbfVBULQ

Kev F

Hi everyone

Here's our latest blog.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

Cheers, have fun.

Dec

Again very helpful Declan. I find this timescale issue interesting as it obviously varies depending on genre/media. Hopefully in 2 years time we'll have funny comedies on our screens again.

Got to say I'm gutted. Two years from start to finish. That means 2 more years living with the wife. I was hoping to make it big as a comedy writer/actor and then leave her for a Page 3 model (Kim, 21 from Aberystwyth). Still most of my comedy comes from dizzy blonde comments which she makes. I'll just stay with her for the material then. Good insight into the future prospect of the struggle to get your idea's on t.v though. Cheers Declan

The 'two-year' rule is a good one to keep in mind.

Any scripts written today about the Britsh economy will just look stupidly upbeat and optimistic in 2013....

I don't care whether I get a sitcom on screen in two years or twenty. Like most, I just want on the development-gravy train.

Quote: Kev F @ March 7 2011, 10:51 PM GMT

Is this International Getting The Wrong End Of The Stick Day?

No, no, it's International Women's Day.

What?

Quote: chipolata @ March 8 2011, 9:44 AM GMT

I don't care whether I get a sitcom on screen in two years or twenty. Like most, I just want on the development-gravy train.

I'm afraid Network Rail have cancelled that train Chip.

Quote: Marc P @ March 8 2011, 10:27 AM GMT

I'm afraid Network Rail have cancelled that train Chip.

:(

Ah well, back to trying to slip in a supermarket.

Quote: chipolata @ March 8 2011, 10:32 AM GMT

:(

Ah well, back to trying to slip in in a supermarket.

Slip into what in a supermarket??! :O

Quote: Marc P @ March 8 2011, 11:02 AM GMT

Slip into what in a supermarket??! :O

:D

Please, Marc! Not on International Woman's Day.

Quote: chipolata @ March 8 2011, 11:03 AM GMT

:D

Please, Marc! Not on International Woman's Day.

Ooops. Who is an international woman though? DO you have to do so many air miles a year?

Quote: Marc P @ March 8 2011, 11:08 AM GMT

Ooops. Who is an international woman though?

Lucy Pinder won't get my penis, she'll get my Willy ;)

Back to topic:

Looks like we sent in crap work this year according to Dec. Look forward to the next blog.

Ash Man

Not at all. As I said in an earlier post, the overall standard is higher this year. I'll blog again at the end of the week with an update.

The main frustration this year is that a lot of work has gone into the premise/character breakdowns/future episodes and then it's let down by the script. It's what we said on a number of occasions: don't worry about the format and the font, get the script right and we won't care.