British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 38

Quote: bushbaby @ March 7 2011, 4:06 PM GMT

Well, I've already lost 100 grand on a piece of land that I can't build on but thank you anyway

Damn you BuySomeLandOnTheMoonThisIsNotAScam.com!

Yes that's the one Penge

As for selecting the scripts by postcode and thus ensuring bums on seats, that only became a factor when the Trials returned under Dec & Si in 2007 and was run as a prize-winning tournament.

I literally don't understand this. Are you saying that putting bums on seats only became a factor because we offered a prize? Because it's perhaps worth remembering that the 'prize' we offered was having a panel of judges vote for best sitcom, best actor and best actress. There was absolutely no monetary prize at all and therefore no greater incentive to put bums on seats than there had been before (or was in the following year under James Parker).

The only real financial incentive for us is to cover our costs so that we're not paying to put other people's work on, but that presumably applies to the Trials as much as the Sitcom Mission.

IF YOU EMAIL A SCRIPT....HOW DO THEY KNOW YOUR POSTCODE??? DID I MISS SOMETHING

My postcode is W1N NER....

No change there then

Quote: Griff @ March 7 2011, 5:53 PM GMT

If you reread you may notice that the postcode scenario was discussed in the subjunctive.

I bow humbly, I didn't read the original.

Beth

Quote: Mrs Mac @ March 7 2011, 6:13 PM GMT

I bow humbly, I didn't read the original.

Beth

You don't read things? You're not related to Kev F Sutherland by any chance?

You buggers. Overnight this thread went from 37 to 41 pages and I was convinced something thrilling had happened. Turns out it's just you lot overanalysing things.

(If I seem over-familiar for a newb it's because I'm a lurker and I've watched you all from afar for so long I feel entitled to call you all buggers even though it's the equivalent of you having a nice chat in a pub and me walking up and passing judgement on your conversation and then telling you that I've been hanging around listening in. It's just creepy.)

####If I seem over-familiar for a newb it's because I'm a lurker and I've watched you all from afar for so long####

Yeah...... riiight

You in particular, bushbaby....

Quote: twit in pyjamas @ March 7 2011, 6:48 PM GMT

Turns out it's just you lot overanalysing things.

Yeah, doesn't pay too much to think about these things does it? :D

Where are all the other wheelchair users, come on stand up and be counted .

Quote: twit in pyjamas @ March 7 2011, 7:00 PM GMT

You in particular, bushbaby....

ooh, I've got a stalker :D :O

Quote: Marc P @ March 7 2011, 7:10 PM GMT

Yeah, doesn't pay too much to think about these things does it? :D

Not when my post-apocalyptic sitcom about two wheelchair-using zombies sharing a flat is being considered, no.

Quote: simon wright @ March 7 2011, 5:27 PM GMT

I literally don't understand this. Are you saying that putting bums on seats only became a factor because we offered a prize?

Is this International Getting The Wrong End Of The Stick Day?

I'm trying to praise the Sitcom Mission, trumpet your achievements, commiserate with the difficulties, and celebrate our differences. I wasn't trying to say that any show had done anything untoward. I was suggesting that, to the 07/09 Trials' credit, you (Declan & Simon - hi by the way) built on your successes with audience building and found that the variety of writers was bringing in a good source of audience via the writers' friends, which was a good thing that I'd overlooked myself.

I'll concede this is a very badly-worded paragraph by me (which is why, folks, we rewrite):

As for selecting the scripts by postcode and thus ensuring bums on seats, that only became a factor when the Trials returned under Dec & Si in 2007 and was run as a prize-winning tournament.

I should have said "ensuring bums on seats...only became a possibility" (it was not, in fact, a factor anyone has ever exploited), and by "prize-winning tournament" I really just meant "tournament". It became prize-winning in subsequent years.

I'm hoping Griff is just playing Devil's Advocate by trying to wind everyone up with his over the top comments. He is spectacularly good at it.

Kev F http://sitcomtrials.co.uk