British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 44

No Radio 2 email.

No Spout email.

One Q&A invitation email (but not able to take part as at work). Just read it though. Interesting, again. Seems like Chantoozie has gained someone else an extra credit for resurrecting the royal correspondent!

Quote: Steve Michaelson @ March 4 2011, 6:45 PM GMT

I got the Radio 2 email, but not the 'spout' one. I'd have preferred the latter, as I've never listened Radio 2 in my life.

Are you out of your mind? Getting on a Radio 2 programme gives you the chance to be on something that people might actually listen to without you having to tell them about it in advance. And seeing that 30 minutes of 'armpit farting' on Radio 2 would still pull in seven digit listening figures, you are looking at the chance to have your stuff performed in front of the biggest audience you are ever likely to have in your life.

And you'd swap that for some 'internet only' gubbins?

Quote: Jinky @ March 4 2011, 7:07 PM GMT

Are you out of your mind? Getting on a Radio 2 programme gives you the chance to be on something that people might actually listen to without you having to tell them about it in advance. And seeing that 30 minutes of 'armpit farting' on Radio 2 would still pull in seven digit listening figures, you are looking at the chance to have your stuff performed in front of the biggest audience you are ever likely to have in your life.

And you'd swap that for some 'internet only' gubbins?

Well, yeah. I know I'm not in a position to really pick and choose opportunities, but if I write something without really knowing anything about the subject or its intended audience, it's not going to be much cop. At the very least I've got be happy with it, if no-one else.

Depends how serious you are about making some sort of career from writing. If that's what you want, you've got to learn to write for shows/networks you might not be familiar with, or even like. You'll get more work that way (and it's always a learning experience). Don't close yourself off to any opportunity.

Actually going to submit a 60-minute interview this week. Maybe even a trailer! I've only submitted twice this series, one liners too.

I take on board what you're saying RJ and Jinky, and I agree with you. I certainly didn't mean it to sound as if Radio 2 is 'beneath me' in anyway, (reading back I can understand it if it seems that way to you), I meant I genuinely have no idea about the output of Radio 2; its shows or presenters. As the producer was asking for sketches based around this, I felt I didn't really have any starting reference, other than the sketch ideas attached in the email. (And I didn't think they'd be too impressed if I just rehashed those)

That's what I meant when I said I'd prefer the spout email.

Quote: Feeoree @ March 4 2011, 10:14 PM GMT

Actually going to submit a 60-minute interview this week.

Well, if they pick it, that's episodes 5 and 6 done then.....

Quote: Steve Michaelson @ March 4 2011, 10:22 PM GMT

I take on board what you're saying RJ and Jinky, and I agree with you. I certainly didn't mean it to sound as if Radio 2 is 'beneath me' in anyway, (reading back I can understand it if it seems that way to you), I meant I genuinely have no idea about the output of Radio 2; its shows or presenters. As the producer was asking for sketches based around this, I felt I didn't really have any starting reference, other than the sketch ideas attached in the email. (And I didn't think they'd be too impressed if I just rehashed those)

That's what I meant when I said I'd prefer the spout email.

I actually wasn't suggesting you thought it was beneath you, I was suggesting you gave up at the first hurdle, when you could have done a bit of research (listened to R2, checked out presenters on their website etc) over a couple of days and submitted a few ideas. You didn't suddenly have to become that network's greatest fan, but you could always have faked it a little just to get your foot in the door. Even if you only stumbled across one idea they liked, it would have been worth it.

Opportunities for open door shows, on radio or anywhere else these days, don't come along very often.

Say someone came to me and asked me to write for a show/network I didn't know/like. I'd NEVER say 'No, sorry, I don't know/like that'. I'd bullshit like hell to get some work from it.

So much of this business is bullshitting, it really is.

Anyway, not trying to give you a lecture - just some constructive advice.

Quote: Jinky @ March 4 2011, 10:24 PM GMT

Well, if they pick it, that's episodes 5 and 6 done then.....

Time is relative. And I am a donkey.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but is anyone else still waiting to be paid? I still haven't got the money I am owed for the writing I did for the first episode.

You won't be paid until after the series ends.

Quote: RJ @ March 5 2011, 12:59 PM GMT

You won't be paid until after the series ends.

Oh I see. I guess it is because you might get something else on in a later episode.

That's one reason. It's just easier for them to do all the paperwork after a show has finished.

They'll email you for your bank details once the series ends.
It takes about three months or so before you receive a BBC contract.
Once signed and sent back, you get paid.

So, you know, don't start spending that money just yet...