British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 40

Quote: Humberfloob @ March 3 2011, 11:53 PM GMT

Congratulations to everyone who got stuff on and commiserations to those who didn't. Mine was the 'Congratulations, you've been selected for a revolution ...' Jack App.

One of my favourite bits. Well done.

Quote: Humberfloob @ March 3 2011, 11:53 PM GMT

Congratulations to everyone who got stuff on and commiserations to those who didn't. Mine was the 'Congratulations, you've been selected for a revolution ...' Jack App.

That was good that one, I really liked it.

Thanks Badge and Trabs

It seems mad that I can send in say twenty one-liners and one gets chosen and nineteen don't. Meaning, if that one hadn't have been picked (like the other nineteen weren't) I'd have been sat here feeling sorry for myself wondering why I wasn't able to capitalise on my success last week.

Instead of keep playing it back over and over again and w@#$ing myself daft which is what I'm doing now :$

Martyn

That one did make me laugh out loud. Nice one 'floob!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 4 2011, 9:04 AM GMT

That one did make me laugh out loud. Nice one 'floob!

Dan

Thanks Dan, that's really kind of you to say so. My focus now is to get a sketch on in one of the last two weeks. To be honest, I don't consider myself specifically a comedy writer, more a writer in general so I'm unsure how I can use this Newsjack credit (my first paid writing credit) to further my career (apart from the boost to my self-exsteem and kick up the bum I needed) - any advice you have (or anyone else) would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Martyn

I have quite a few radio credits now and, to be honest, I'm unsure how to use them to further my career...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 4 2011, 9:54 AM GMT

I have quite a few radio credits now and, to be honest, I'm unsure how to use them to further my career...

Dan

Laughing out loud

... and then :(

Ditto.

Where's the crying smiley?

Dan

All you can do is keep sending stuff off to as many people as possible in the hope that something happens. And then kill yourself when they all reject you for the 89th time.

Oh, and hope that if you do get the odd credit here and there, that someone involved will remember you and want to use you again.

I think the question 'How do NJ writing credits further my career?' is best answered by making it clear what type of 'career' you have in mind.

If you just want to tell family and friends that you've had some 'stuff' on the radio, then your 'career' is already over. You can retire a happy man. If you want to be the next (Ricky Gervais/Miranda Hart/whatever) then I doubt a credit from NJ is much use, apart from being that first important step on the Yellow Brick Road.

A day spent reading these forums will tell you that it's basically "Newsjack, NewsRevue, The Treason Show, Sitcommision, Laughing Stock, The Writer's Room" and so on for sending 'stuff' in and hoping. And then there's "Let's Put The Show On Right Here!! (a.k.a YouTube) for some instant karma.

I'm beginning to think that the latter way is the best route. They say that, in English football, you can have passed all the UEFA coaching exams but you'll never be a manager unless you played professionally...even if only for a brief spell. It sometimes feels in the UK that you can write the funniest things ever, but if you haven't done a bit of stand-up or done something in Edinburgh, then your chances are vastly diminished.

It's not out and out blubbing but I can definitely see tears welling for this little softy Teary

And thanks Matthew, It's something I've cottoned onto far too late that the most important thing in this writing game is developing contacts, contacts, contacts and then being professional and taking the opportunity if and when it arises ...

So right Jinky. See latest BBC Radio 4 comedy "based on Helen Keen's Edinburgh stand-up show."

Its no good. I'm going to have to go to Cambridge and join the Footlights. Its the only way...

Quote: Jinky @ March 4 2011, 10:18 AM GMT

A day spent reading these forums will tell you that it's basically "Newsjack, NewsRevue, The Treason Show, Sitcommision, Laughing Stock, The Writer's Room" and so on for sending 'stuff' in and hoping. And then there's "Let's Put The Show On Right Here!! (a.k.a YouTube) for some instant karma.

Thanks Jinky,

With regards to Laughing Stock and Writers Room, sending stuff off on spec always seems a bit of a punt - I think Laughing Stock has had over 1800 entries - so while you have to do it, are you better off getting in contact with individuals in the industry (BBC, production companies, whatever) who can help you progress your career - and is there anyone out there to whom 'I've had a couple of one-liners on Newsjack' is that impressive enough for them to consider your other work???

Martyn

Quote: Griff @ March 4 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

No. The most important thing in this writing game is being able to write something that's so good that when a producer (or agent) sees it they will bite your hand off to work with you.

I want to believe.

But when I listen to the likes of 'The Now Show' (for example) I can't help thinking the ability to produce metric tons of 'quite good' is more important than a few nuggets of 'brilliance'.

From getting a sketch and a one-liner on the last series of Newsjack, I have been contacted from BBC Spout (part of BBC Comedy Online) and asked if I wanted to submit material. I got my first commission from them last month. I also got contacted from a new pilot show soon to be made on Radio 2 and asked if I wanted to send stuff in, which I have done. Both these opportunities came about directly from submitting to Newsjack and the team their passing on my details to other producers at the BBC.

I have also used my Radio and Online credits to pimp myself around some contacts I have in TV, and am getting taken more seriously than I have been before. Could have a shout at a new online web-drama with a decent sized indie at the end of this month off the back of it.

It's all long shot stuff, and the idea of writing for a living is still very much a pipe-dream, but my experiences so far with Newsjack, is that it can lead to other opportunities.