British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 31

Quote: Flaner @ March 2 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

Mine got rejected very early on. Balls!

To be fair, the 'idea' I sent in wasn't a long-lasting one, and was probably impossible to film onstage...so I've only myself to blame!

Oh, good, one down 1240 to go :D

They've already started sending out the rejection emails????!!!!!

That's depressing. I thought, by snubbing NewsJack for a second week, I could give my index finger some much needed 'F5 pressing' rest.

Quote: Flaner @ March 2 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

Mine got rejected very early on. Balls!

To be fair, the 'idea' I sent in wasn't a long-lasting one, and was probably impossible to film onstage...so I've only myself to blame!

I make that a whole 1 point 8 mins per script - allowing for the time of posting and nothing else. God knows how long they're really spending if we factor in eating and sleeping.

Ah, no - this was from a week or two ago before Simon and Declan said they weren't responding to individual mails anymore, I think.

God some positive feedback for the dialogue, but didn't have enough time to get something else written and sent off.

There's always next year! Good luck to you all, and to all a good night.

Not replying to individual mails?

So it's either a congratulations email or nothing then? Writers Room are doing that with Laughing Stock too.

Totally understandable, both have had a mental number of entries.

Enjoy the silence.

It makes up 99% of a writer's life.

Yesterday was the first time I'd actually had a reply, rather than silence.

Progress!

I didn't give them a character description, just the script and outline.

If the script is strong there should be no need of a character description because the dialogue should captivate the reader's imagination to a point where they can make their own description.

Classic writing tool. ;)

If your script gets knocked back but you believe that your concept has the legs to succeed at what point are you pronounced clinically insane?

When you get to about 92 years old :)

I don't agree, if I think what I have written is good I stand by it.
That may seem a tad emu like but I think it is vital that you retain belief in your work.
The BBC writers room gets 10,000 scripts a year that are assessed by three Oxbridge interns as such the chances of getting a sitcom commission via this route is next to zero.
Should you get a knock back from them you should never doubt your work.
That's not me being bitter it is sadly a true reflection, otherwise explain to me how The Green Green Grass and Rock & Chips got on the telly.

I've got to agree with you Teddy. I have more belief in what I'm writing at the moment than the under par comedy which appears on tele.
I just think there should be more outlets for writers of comedy, such as local theatres opening their doors once a month for writers to put on 15-30min performances just as stand-ups have an open mic night in pubs and comedy stores. Fingers cross for the future.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ March 2 2011, 5:52 PM GMT

I don't agree, if I think what I have written is good I stand by it.
That may seem a tad emu like but I think it is vital that you retain belief in your work.
The BBC writers room gets 10,000 scripts a year that are assessed by three Oxbridge interns as such the chances of getting a sitcom commission via this route is next to zero.
Should you get a knock back from them you should never doubt your work.
That's not me being bitter it is sadly a true reflection, otherwise explain to me how The Green Green Grass and Rock & Chips got on the telly.

:)

I agree. I've been reading about famous people who got rejected at first but then went on to have a massive hit. Suck as JK Rowling with Harry Potter, the Beatles and Decca, Speilberg getting rejected from film school etc.

There's a quote from sootyj in the Laughing Stock thread which I thought was very true.
"Writing for the BBC is like being a sperm cell. Only a few reach the egg, it doesn't make the others bad swimmers. And the winner can some times turn out to be Micheal Macintyre."

Also it takes time to find someone who likes the same kind of humour as you. Going by MY comedy opinions, Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the worst shows ever made, yet that's just my opinion and it's a international hit.

On a similar note to you guys, whilst what I write isn't all that great, in my head (and others who have read my stuff), it's better than the likes of 'Coming of Age'.

I always think too, that on the page something may sound banal but acted out it is very funny but how do the Beeb etc suss that out?