British Comedy Guide

Friday Night Dinner - Series 1 Page 3

Didn't do anything for me. Some nice moments, and Garth Merenghi asking Heap how he broke his toilet made me LOL, but overall it felt a bit artificial and empty. Even Heap seemed Heap by Numbers. Not sure I'll bother with any more.

That was terrible.

A real waste of 30 minutes.

I think the characters were sort of just not there.

And sitcom needs strong characters more than anything else.

I thought the Dad and Heap's characters have the potential to be really very funny.

True but it's gonna need more than a grab of interesting character traits (eating from the bin is somehow quite a pleasing twist)

This, Grandma's House, Roger and Val, Him and Her - why do programme makers think there's such an appetite for shows with such narrow and constricting premises? Surely the beauty of TV is that you can do anything, yet we get a steady stream of shows that pride themselves on doing nothing. No wonder viewing figures are in terminal decline.

I enjoyed it. A couple of big laughs - high five and how did you break the toilet. I'll watch again.

I did love Grandma's House, great show that got better with each episode. But yes, it does some there's been a curious spate of them recently; perhaps they're cheaper to make so appeal to the channels on that level??

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 25 2011, 11:20 PM GMT

I did love Grandma's House, great show that got better with each episode. But yes, it does some there's been a curious spate of them recently; perhaps they're cheaper to make so appeal to the channels on that level??

I'm certainly not against those type of shows - The Royle Family, Early Doors and Marion and Geoff were brilliant - but none of this recent batch can touch them. Perhaps they are cheaper - Recession Com.

The Smoking Room was a goodie too.

:( The characters are very boring, imagine a real meal? No, not funny.
More funny conversation at my house!

"Why did you put salt in everything?" made me laugh. It was pretty boring apart from that, but I think that laugh was good enough to warrant another watch.

It wasn't perfect, but it had potential. There were some funny lines and I enjoyed watching it. Loved the way the salty drinks came in at the end, and also loved the dad mishearing and thinking his dog had died.

(Nowhere near as good as Grandma's House, but then I love that an inhuman amount.)

Quote: Jebsly @ February 26 2011, 11:16 AM GMT

"Why did you put salt in everything?" made me laugh. It was pretty boring apart from that, but I think that laugh was good enough to warrant another watch.

This.

I liked it. The characterisations were quite subtle, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Looking forward to seeing more.