British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 327

Quote: keewik @ February 22 2011, 11:45 PM GMT

Now you mention it, Bill, he DOES look like a zombie.

Yay! someone does agree with me.

Perhaps the real Gaddafi died years ago when his palace was bombed by the Americans & his clique of followers put his skin on a puppet robot.

:O ;)

Ouch. Poor old Ben Elton.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/02/23/12809/ben_eltons_australian_show_axed

Not sure about his even-Fawlty-Towers-wasn't-very-good-after-two-weeks comment. Er, yes it was.

Quote: Griff @ February 23 2011, 10:29 AM GMT

Whatever your thoughts about Ben Elton, that must be quite humiliating to have your TV show publicly fail and be axed like that.

Yep I know. Didn't help himself using the old Reductio Ad Hitlerum defence though.

Quote: chipolata @ February 23 2011, 10:49 AM GMT

Not sure about his even-Fawlty-Towers-wasn't-very-good-after-two-weeks comment. Er, yes it was.

Yes, a silly thing to say; lots of shows are good right from the first episode.

It seemed a weird doomed-to-fail format, though. A live sketch show? :S

Oh yes. Now I come to think of it Elton was a key figure in our own attempts to do a British Saturday Night Live.

Friday Night Live was aces and I will fight anyone who disagrees

So there!

Come on then you so called hard cases

Quote: sootyj @ February 23 2011, 12:56 PM GMT

Friday Night Live was aces and I will fight anyone who disagrees

So there!

Come on then you so called hard cases

Put your probably-girlie fists away. Friday Live was a pretty good show.

Maybe it will do him good to fail so spectacularly for a change. He's had such great success with such, erm, 'easygoing' stage productions that failure might jolt him back to doing something more interesting. Or not.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ February 23 2011, 10:21 AM GMT

Ouch. Poor old Ben Elton.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/02/23/12809/ben_eltons_australian_show_axed

The promotional ads for this were terribly unappealing. I watched a bit of the show and it was equally unappealing. Surprised it wasn't a hit with Australian audiences, given their fondness for crap.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 23 2011, 1:05 PM GMT

The promotional ads for this were terribly unappealing. I watched a bit of the show and it was equally unappealing. Surprised it wasn't a hit with Australian audiences, given their fondness for crap.

Neighbours, Underbelly, The Croc Hunter?

You're dissing that

Right form an orderly queue looks like I'll be handing out ass whuppings all bleeding afternoon.

Quote: sootyj @ February 23 2011, 1:15 PM GMT

Neighbours, Underbelly, The Croc Hunter?

You're dissing that

Never seen an episode of Neighbours in my life. Don't think it's still on. Croc Hunter long gone. The most popular shows in Australia are about ersatz tension and emotion concerning cooking and people trying to lose weight. While current affairs shows no longer bother to present actual news but instead focus on scaremongering and getting people to cry.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 23 2011, 1:32 PM GMT

The most popular shows in Australia are about ersatz tension and emotion concerning cooking and people trying to lose weight. While current affairs shows no longer bother to present actual news but instead focus on scaremongering and getting people to cry.

You could say the same about British TV.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 23 2011, 1:32 PM GMT

Never seen an episode of Neighbours in my life. Don't think it's still on.

It definitely is.

Australian TV is shit though, I spent a few weeks there a couple of years back and it was just terrible; and the amount of ad breaks!