British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 24

Quote: RJ @ February 16 2011, 5:36 PM GMT

Well, that's the way it is some weeks...

True enough. But would anyobody like to join me in a campaign for major news stories to break only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays? And for minor things with a potential pithy angle to happen on Mondays and Tuesdays (AM only)?

Sat in Newslack studio where there are a lot of single men on their phones. (I am one of them.) Yes people this is our audience. And our competition.

So the people who are in the audience are all writers? Well, that's not that surprising as that is who the show is really for anyway.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 16 2011, 7:55 PM GMT

So the people who are in the audience are all writers?

Hardly likely to be groupies, are they?

Quote: StephenM @ February 16 2011, 7:50 PM GMT

Sat in Newslack studio where there are a lot of single men on their phones. (I am one of them.) Yes people this is our audience. And our competition.

Wondered how it works live ? do the cast stand there with the scripts or is it all acted out?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 16 2011, 8:10 PM GMT

the cast stand there with the scripts

But that's still acting.

Yes I see, was trying to visualise how it would be played out live

All radio is done using scripts. That's why actors like radio.

Quote: StephenM @ February 16 2011, 7:50 PM GMT

Are you in the bar yet?

Quote: clueless @ February 16 2011, 3:22 PM GMT

I sent some one-liners in JUST so I could get an auto-reply. *pops auto-reply into special 'Auto-replies like wot Blenkinsop doesn't get' folder*

Hi radiat10n Wave

Et tu, Brute?

Teary

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 16 2011, 7:55 PM GMT

So the people who are in the audience are all writers?

Didn't you notice them with their cigarette holders going "How droll, how droll..."?

Let me help create the scene for those who weren't able to make it:

We were sat in a theatre (well hall with some temporary seating and curtains on the ceiling) with a backstage area that doubled as a gym and where you could hear the occasional blast from a 'Battle of the Bands' happening one floor up.

The producer etc. were sat in a tiny van (think small fast-food outlet on a match day) outside. Not just not in the theatre but not even in the building.

With regards to the audience think less cigarette holders and more bearded. (I am one of them).

Got that? Good. So what of the recording itself?

Well on stage were 5 microphones which the actors read the script into. All the acting is in the voice so no moving around, dressing up etc., just accents and pacing.

Why 5 microphones you ask? Microphone number 5 is for when you need to sound like you're speaking down a phoneline (e.g. Newsjack Apps) or from on Outside Broadcast.

I'll not spoil the surprise of what's actually in the show, mainly because I can't quite remember it all and it would be unfair to cause some of you unneccessary disappointment at this stage. But I will say:

None of my stuff made it
Nothing on public toilets (sorry Ian)
There was a NewsDog sketch! That feature may yet live.

Enjoy. I'm going to miss the actual broadcast as I'm off on holiday but hopefully will catch it on podcast later.

Well, there might be some light at the end of the tunnel if they used my NewsDog sketch then. If it mentioned red roses then that will probably be the one.

Thanks for the description StephenM

Has anyone got an email yet?