British Comedy Guide

Newsjack - Series 4 Page 20

I've sent in three sketches this week - a Valentine's themed NewsDog sketch, one about the closure of all but one of the public lavatories in Manchester, and another BBC Legal Team sketch. Seeing as they liked the one I sent them last week I thought I'd try the format again.

I've went with a Nick Clegg sketch, an Alan Sugar v Karren Brady Apprentice spoof and a Big Society sketch that I really should have binned. I'm not optimistic :)

Is it just me or was it slim pickings in the news this week? Managed to squeeze out one sketch, but I found bugger all inspiration this week!

Quote: ddaann @ February 14 2011, 11:25 AM GMT

Is it just me or was it slim pickings in the news this week? Managed to squeeze out one sketch, but I found bugger all inspiration this week!

Yeah, apart from the Baftas and Egypt, there wasnt much to get any mileage out of, I wouldnt go near the horses being killed at Newbury, though that was a big story.

Glad to see people sending fewer sketches in and losing heart by week two. It means less competition for me. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 14 2011, 10:37 AM GMT

I've sent in three sketches this week - a Valentine's themed NewsDog sketch, one about the closure of all but one of the public lavatories in Manchester, and another BBC Legal Team sketch.

And Ian, I too have sent in a closure of public lavatories sketch so looks like I'll have to take you down to get a writing credit this week.

(Which one of these smileys look the most agressive? I'm in fighting mood this week.)

Angry

Glad I wasn't the only one who struggled this week. Worked on two sketches that I ended up thinking were awful, so God knows what the script editors would've made of them.

No sketches from me this week, need to come up with some one-liners tonight.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 14 2011, 11:28 AM GMT

I wouldnt go near the horses being killed at Newbury, though that was a big story.

Interestingly enough I did mention it in my BBC Legal Tean sketch that I sent. That's one of the many advantages of a sketch like this - you can mention subjects normally avoided. Also you can lots of different stories very quickly, so whereas most sketches only covet one topic, I can cover many.

Quote: StephenM @ February 14 2011, 11:29 AM GMT

And Ian, I too have sent in a closure of public lavatories sketch so looks like I'll have to take you down to get a writing credit this week.

(Which one of these smileys look the most agressive? I'm in fighting mood this week.)

Angry

I don't mind whose toilet sketch gets picked up - I just want to see as many BCG members in the credits as possible.

I only had one decent sketch to send and that was basically a rewrite of an idea from somewhere else.

Hopefully some of the one-liners are useful though.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 14 2011, 11:45 AM GMT

I don't mind whose toilet sketch gets picked up - I just want to see as many BCG members in the credits as possible.

You are a bigger man than me Mr. Wolf.

managed to get two off. One Newsfox and also a sketch about Ronnie Krays paintings being sold at auction.

Bosh.

Now for some one-liners.

Sorry I'm late but congratulations to all who were broadcast. After hearing the show It was different to what I imagined and have hopefully managed to cater this weeks stuff more towards what Newsjack are looking for.

Good luck to you all this week. Rolling eyes

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 14 2011, 11:45 AM GMT

I just want to see as many BCG members in the credits as possible.

I just want the entire 30 minutes to be my submissions and the name changed to NewsJink.

Mmmm. Tough week. Just the one script (gag?). Silvio Burlusconi calling Richard Keyes and Andy Gray phone-in on Talk Sport, discussing his youth policy.

Frantic evening of onelining me thinks.

Quote: Griff @ February 14 2011, 12:15 PM GMT

Good idea. NewsGriff will have extended credits at the end of the show mocking all the other writers who failed to get on (i.e. everyone except me), and singling out the weakest submissions for specific ridicule.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ February 14 2011, 12:15 PM GMT

Good idea. NewsGriff will have extended credits at the end of the show mocking all the other writers who failed to get on (i.e. everyone except me), and singling out the weakest submissions for specific ridicule.

:D
The good thing about singling out the weakest submissions is that us mere beginners will at least get a mention...mmm Shandonjack I wonder :)