British Comedy Guide

Hairdressers - Episode Two

Hairdressers is a radio comedy written by Samuel Morgan (BBC Radio) about two camp hairdressers, Jules (James Cotter) and Justin (Samuel Morgan) who run JJ's Hairdressers alongside their work experience trainee Wayne. The show has been described as "a creative and well produced show" by a Sony Radio Academy Awards Judge and BBC Editor.

Episode Two - There's trouble for Jules and Justin when smarmy Italian hairdresser Tony moves into town taking their customers and there trainee, is this the end for JJ Hairdressers?

Disclaimer: Contains sexual references and some strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhjjOlGcgY

Couldn't commit to listening to the whole thing, but enjoyed the first 5 minutes.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 1 2011, 10:50 PM GMT

Couldn't commit to listening to the whole thing, but enjoyed the first 5 minutes.

:) Well it's a start, thanks for giving it a go Don.

James I may email you some more detailed feedback

at the moment some good ideas, but it feels like an elongated sketch with too much crudeness welded to it.

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2011, 11:41 AM GMT

James I may email you some more detailed feedback.

:) That will be great.

Sorry James I nearly stopped at the donut gag but got as far as the rant where he said he could do anything including cutting hair but he doesn't cut hair. As sooty says it all feels very sketchy and longer narrative comedy should be character driven in my ho.

Quote: Marc P @ February 2 2011, 11:54 AM GMT

Sorry James I nearly stopped at the donut gag but got as far as the rant where he said he could do anything including cutting hair but he doesn't cut hair. As sooty says it all feels very sketchy and longer narrative comedy should be character driven in my ho.

Laughing out loud That is quite a rude joke isn't it? Love Justin's rant too. There is a sketchy feel about it I would have to agree with that but there is a narrative there which really kicks in the third scene. I know what you're going to say about this.

Quote: James Cotter @ February 2 2011, 11:58 AM GMT

there is a narrative there which really kicks in the third scene. I know what you're going to say about this.

I'll say no more then.
;)

Quote: Marc P @ February 2 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

I'll say no more then.
;)

Well I'll admit to you we spend a long time thinking about the first two scenes which I think you need to set up the situation before the real plot of Italian Tony kicks in. Some of the later scenes are really good like the nightclub scene which is my favourite.

James the 3rd scene is to late.

C'mon it's abit like being a boxer who comes into his own in the 4th ring, but is lying unconciouse after the 2nd

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2011, 12:11 PM GMT

James the 3rd scene is to late.

C'mon it's abit like being a boxer who comes into his own in the 4th ring, but is lying unconciouse after the 2nd

We honestly thought that are self's but do sitcoms (which is what this even though it feels quite sketchy) start with the first scene with the plot? My argument was that shows like My Family and Only Fools nearly always have set up the situation scenes which is Ben and Susan on the sofa or Del and Rodney on the market or in the flat saying there broke. Especially think of the earlier series.

Usually there is something in the first scene to atleast hint and grab the attention

Quote: sootyj @ February 2 2011, 12:26 PM GMT

Usually there is something in the first scene to atleast hint and grab the attention

The first scene is actually a set up for the whole series really because it mentions a few new characters who will be making a appearance later on in the series. We also in the first scene establish Wayne is no longer with us which carries on from the end of episode one.

I could only manage three minutes of this. Crude, nasty and full of punchlines akin to the sound of a car crash or a lonely man coughing in an empty church.

Quote: Ben @ February 2 2011, 10:24 PM GMT

I could only manage three minutes of this. Crude, nasty and full of punchlines akin to the sound of a car crash or a lonely man coughing in an empty church.

Cutting.