British Comedy Guide

UK hip hop mockumentary: In The Mix Page 2

Skoob, thanks for the feedback and glad you are enjoying it.
The characters are well observed because we too have had experience with them in our professional work.
Everybody involved with In the Mix has at one point been around characters such as these so it was easy to recreate them on screen.
I'm a fan of Dalton, the reporter guy myself. He can convey so much by saying so little. I think some of my biggest laughs have come from one of his off hand remarks.

Jobey:

One classic line from those unbelievably deluded days was

"When I's famous - yous won't ave to be givin me rides no place an dat coz I'll ave me elicopter innit."

Yes mate - I can see you've been there.

Good work though.

Skoob.

Only seen the first episode, but thought it was very good.

Where do you want this to go Jobey? Have you sent it out to TV production companies? There was the hip hop sitcom Trexx and Flipside quite recently which might make it more difficult to get interest there.

I could see this as a film if you worked a story into the script.

Hey Dolly Dagger. Thanks for watching.
Obviously we would like it to go as far as possible.
We had a lot of fun making it and are confident that although it's not perfect, with a bit of creative tweaking it could be an entertaining show.
I actually spent the latter half of last year prostituting it around various production companies. Even setting up meetings with some very powerful people I'd never met in the hope that the pilot could win them over.
However, I quickly learned that the bureaucracy in television is such that no one will go out of their to help a lowly douche like myself.
Instead I would be expected to suffer years of knockbacks until I eventually get my own show commissioned at the same point as losing my sense of humour.
This is turning into an essay now :). We decided that rather than holding on to our show and waiting for approval, we should release it ourselves and let actual people decide if it's good. We premiered it as a short film in Leeds last year and if we discovered a suitable festival, would love to enter it.
As one of the writers I am interested in whether people see the Blazin Cartel group itself as the heart of the show or if Peter Dalton is and the next episode should be an entirely new documentary.

What sort of feedback did you get?

It seems mockumentaries are a bit unpopular in TV at the moment. The last one I can think of was Bellamy's People, which I thought was brilliant, but that didn't get a 2nd series even with Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson behind it.

I think in your position I would write a feature length screenplay and plan to shoot it as a mockumentary film with improv - a hip hop Spinal Tap. Then pitch the idea with a script and your epsiodes you've already filmed and try to get finance behind it. It could be done on a really small budget and marketed as a 'is this real or not' type thing, like Catfish.

The feedback I've got hass varied. People who have seen the whole hour have a different perception to those who are catching it episode by episode.
We just wanted to try and do something that has been done but with some new spins on it. I'm really interested in how people take to it.

One thing that I'm noticing is that people who are angered by it or find it lame and unfunny, don't realise it's Dalton's interpretation of the Hip Hop world. No one in their right mind would keep repeating 'In the Mix' and think that they being edgy and street. Even the title of the show screams of mediocrity! :)

Episode 4 out today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFRtRawobo

This is absolutely beautifully judged. I've only seen episode 4, but hope to find time later to go back to the beginning. I particularly like the sequences where the artists harangue the programme makers about their attire ("Noddy?"). Very crisp, with the actors (and the writing) achieving just the right note of plausibility. If I have one reservation it's that the scene in the office goes on too long: there are some nice exchanges in there, but it might have been shorter.

But wow, you're really on to something with this. I look forward to more!

Just watched 3 episodes - a little slow here and there I thought but I have a short attention span! Overall very well produced and entertaining. Is Caroline... I mean Mrs Moon free on Saturday? Just a thought!

Guys thank you so much for taking the time to watch and comment.
We put a lot of work into this pilot and some of the subtle humour and attention to detail has gone over peoples heads. But it makes me happy to see that people on a BRITISH comedy forum are enjoying it.

Hi Jobey,

I've watched all four of these and have to say they are excellent. They're really well observed, brilliantly shot and the actors' performances are faultless. Head and shoulders above many so-called pro ventures that make it onto mainstream TV. The concept is one of the funniest things I've watched for quite some time and congratulations to all concerned. I'm a big Spinal Tap fan and this takes the genre and gives it a lovely modern tweak.

I don't know the first thing about how one goes about making films like this from a shooting and editing stance, but I will say that it looks and feels very contemporary and totally in keeping with non-comedy items that I've seen dealing with this subject, so I'll confine my comments to the material instead.

On the suggestion that there aren't enough jokes in it I would disagree completely. I find there is more than enough humour already. I love its subtlety and I don't personally crave out and out jokes to be chucked into a comedy just for the sake of it. The humour is beautifully understated and much of it comes from the total lack of self-awareness the characters have. Really top stuff and very skilful writing!

My only criticisms (but only very small niggles really) are in the overall pacing of the episodes. Perhaps the movement of the narrative can be a bit slow here and there and it could do with moving through the story arc a bit quicker.

The scenes of the band talking about their art are very good but I think that they are maybe dwelt on a wee bit too long and too often. I think the vacuous self-belief of the main characters is so well drawn but that scenes dealing with it could be shaved down to perhaps about a half of what's there currently. I think that these edits could be made without losing any of the show's overall punch or feel and removing a bit of this flab might help pick up the pace.

Similarly the two interview episodes, which again are superb, could maybe do with pruning. Perhaps these could be edited into one episode of both Level 7 (brilliant name) and Jester's interviews, cross-cutting between the two to break up the more prolonged and slightly static scenes here.

On a general point I absolutely love the straight characters that they guys play off throughout the entire work, and the stand-out moment for me is Buzzard explaining the origins of his name. I was crying with laughter.

These comments are not meant to be in any way negative because I have really enjoyed this so much, and indeed it is by a long way the best thing I've seen on offer on this site since becoming a member five years ago.

I really wish you every success with it and truly believe that it does deserve a much wider audience. I am really looking forward to seeing more.

Well done, and the very best of luck in finding a professional outlet for it, and thanks a million for posting.

B.

EDIT:
Just read your comments to Dolly and my opinion for what it's worth is that the star of the show is the band. Dalton although a good character is, in this instance for me, relegated to playing essentially the role of a supporting artist. The three band characters are so much more interesting and alive than he is. Only because they are fresh and new, his and or similar characters have been done many times before in other areas. However as an ensemble both he and the band are perfect for one another and his documentary as a vehicle to present Blazin Cartel is perfect.

Watched this a few days ago, great stuff!

Hi Blenkinsop. I can't thank you enough for the kind comments you wrote, I only hope that you continue to enjoy the show for the next 6 eps. Hopefully you can tell others to watch it too.

When I read your post I had to forward it to some of the cast and crew so they could see there are people out there enjoying and getting the show. Thanks for taking the time to write some lengthy feedback :)

Don, cheers for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtX606PNQac

Episode 5 up now!

Another good 'un!

Thanks for watching :)