British Comedy Guide

Miranda - Series 3 Page 2

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ January 17 2011, 1:41 PM GMT

Shows like Peep Show have gone on to have 4 top class series. However, from series 5 onwards, it's not been to the same standard. Why feel the need to do shows to death?

Peep Show is still great; I'm glad it's still around!

Quote: zooo @ January 17 2011, 1:42 PM GMT

Yes, quite possibly.
Which will be verrry annoying.

Unless it is rubbish, then it might deserve a slating, but it does annoy me when they just rubbish something for the sake of it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 17 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

I'm glad it's still going, but I didn't laugh that much during the series just gone. Especially the episode where they were trapped in the corridor.

As the second series was better than the first then I'm sure a 3rd will be even better, I like the idea of it getting to 6 series or even reaching an 8th or 9th, there's so much potential.

You have the on off/will the won't they with Gary and Miranda at the minute, then they can get married and have kids.

Imagine Miranda with children...........

That would be joyous :D

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ January 17 2011, 1:41 PM GMT

I guess with Miranda because she's received so much praise, deservedly so, I think the British press will do what they always do, and pan the next series, whether it's funny or not.

The press also gave the second series of Fawlty Towers a tough time, claiming it wasn't a patch on the first series, etc. In fact the sniffy reviews at the time were seen as a contributing factor to Cleese not wanting to do a third series.

I loved the first series but thought that the last two episodes of series two were absolutely appallingly bad. I wonder if the makers of the show got caught up in that 'we are a hit!' thing and were blinded to the funny.
Am I correct in thinking that the episodes are filmed pretty close to broadcast? That must be difficult to do without letting your ego take over. I don't think they managed it. If I was asked, I'd say 'no to series three'.

I'm shuddering inside thinking of the episode from series two when Miranda and her mum were in the psychiatrist's office :S eeeuuucchhhh.

Never have been a fan of this show, and never will be. The clips shown at the Comedy Awards just go to show how obvious the jokes are. Scared on a canoe, camera pulls away to show her on dry land! (obvious), and calling her 'children' Orlando and Bloom! (terrible). The thing that's really annoying is the audience's howls of laughter.

Quote: David Carmon @ January 17 2011, 3:30 PM GMT

As the second series was better than the first then I'm sure a 3rd will be even better, I like the idea of it getting to 6 series or even reaching an 8th or 9th, there's so much potential.

You have the on off/will the won't they with Gary and Miranda at the minute, then they can get married and have kids.

Imagine Miranda with children...........

The fact that British sit-coms last no more than 8 episodes, means that Miranda would have to be pregnant for about 4 years! So, perhaps, by the end of series 8, she'd give birth. Christ, imagine that. she'd be like a pregnant elephant.

Quote: New Puritan @ January 25 2011, 11:12 AM GMT

Am I correct in thinking that the episodes are filmed pretty close to broadcast?

They were, but only due to time restraint with the way things worked out. I expect that the scripts would have been signed off by the BBC months previously though, so the rest of your point is sort of void.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 17 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

Still great? Not 'getting better all the time'? - faint praise!

As for Miranda, she's a terribly nice gel an' all that but pratfalls and lame gags ... hang on, this isn't even a nation divider any more, is it? Am I just the bloke standing outside the party shouting abuse again? ... (sighs).

Well you're not alone in doing so, but you are in the minority.

*slopes away muttering to self*

Hey everybody. First post here :)

I decided to join this forum as I have recently become somewhat obsessed with Miranda. So much that I wanted to share it with everybody lol. Take a look at my site in my signuature guys. I'm thinking of possibly using it for a uni project and adding a login page, quizzes and what not.

The site's still in its infancy at present. Although it's a real nice way to see every episode of Miranda in one place. Please take a look guys and bookmark it if you like. This is my first site and I intend to keep it updated when series 3 comes out.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 13 2011, 3:27 PM GMT

But what a lot of supporters of keeping a sitcom running and running always fail to address is the usual decline in standard of sitcoms that reach several series. Records reveal it is very hard, unless the writing team is as gifted as a Galton & Simpson or Croft & Perry, to keep the episodes as entertaining in the 8th series as they were in the 1st and 2nd.

And then you have the factor of viewers just getting bored with seeing the sitcom all the time and this detracts often from the overall status of the show. I'd say Only Fools and Horses suffered this way, some people were glad to see the back of a show they once loved. This really does have an effect on viewers' attitudes to sitcoms and should not be so readily dismissed as silly.

Some very big names have pulled their mega big sitcom creations at the very height of their success mainly for this reason, so they have told us. Yes, they were influenced by having plenty of offers for other work on the table, I acknowledge this, but they could have coined in easy millions on continuing sitcoms like The Office or FT. These were gold mines that only the integrity and artistic conscience of their creators saved from being mined to death, in the worst case scenario.

I applaud such bold moves against intense commercial pressure on them to carry on, and it has indeed saved some shows from ever being accused of losing their sparkle and punch. And it has done wonders for the crediblity of British TV Sitcom that two or three ended suddenly on a high like this, it knocks the Americans flat, because they have no such artistic control over theirs - if a sitcom is a star there then it will almost always be run way beyond its natural life, treated like a global product, a brand! Well done to those Brits who've dared to treat their beloved creations like a work of art instead, against intense commercial pressure not to!

Imo, Miranda can happily carry on till eternity if it wants to because it has never been a classic or even a very good original creation and so it has no great reputation to squander. It was a highly commercial confection from the very start and so it belongs to this highly commercial model of milking every last drop out of the thing.

Geek I agree Alfred, no space left sort of..

Didn't see series 1 but loved series 2 and became an instant Miranda fan - I do hope she can keep it up

Quote: Bomsh @ January 25 2011, 4:30 PM GMT

Still great? Not 'getting better all the time'? - faint praise!

As for Miranda, she's a terribly nice gel an' all that but pratfalls and lame gags ... hang on, this isn't even a nation divider any more, is it? Am I just the bloke standing outside the party shouting abuse again? ... (sighs).

No, you are not alone. I stand outside parties shouting, too!