British Comedy Guide

Count Dracula 2 - HIV Positive Page 3

Only if you make a practice of getting your information on AIDS through comedy writers! Come on, anyone who knows anything is either going to know the ways you can contract this disease, or is going to look somewhere more relevant/appropriate for the information they need. To say this sketch may be harmful is pushing it: anyone silly enough to take ANYTHING here as anything other than funny observations is clearly missing the point, surely?

Initially I was just curious whether the writer of the sketch knew the facts! He mentioned he wrote it at school.

Just being a worrier.

Quote: zooo @ January 19 2011, 7:53 PM GMT

Just being a worrier.

Worrying gives you AIDS.

Uh oh...

Teary :(

I get all the information I need from the Daily Mail.
;)

I seriously thought you got it through the anal mucus or something?

Or from mixing blood... What are the other ways?? Loooool and seriously just calm down its only a joke :)

Ahhh, serves Dracula right for having DOctor Nick Riviera as his physician! HI everybody! :D

LOL Hiya Dr Nick!

Thing is with this - if you'll pardon the intrusion - the "joke" is ancient.

It's been done to death. And back again. About six million times.

On a positive note - nothing wrong with a creative mind. That's to be applauded.

Try another joke/sketch.

No professional would ever take this seriously.

Much less laugh.

Sorry.

Skoob.

;)It all sounds a bloody mess to me, sorry. Dracula stuff only appeals to prepubesent girls, amazed all you guys are involved, Oh dear...

How does that make any sense at all?

Quote: Juan of a Kind @ January 25 2011, 11:01 AM GMT

How does that make any sense at all?

I think he's referring to the recent Twilight books/movies and forgetting the hundred years or so of vampire lore that preceeded it.

I'd still probably drop the mention of homosexuality and abstract it by one level of inference (bear with me).
If it was for TV you'd have:

DOCTOR: Well it's either infected blood or it's unprotected sex.

Short flashback clip of Dracula in full regalia dancing in a club with a police officer, native american, biker, and a construction worker (and a disco ball of course), all getting along famously.

DRACULA: Definitely the blood.

Still has the original joke essence: the awkwardness of someone who can't face up to his own sexuality, a gay dracula, in full regalia, doing "the roof is on fire" dance in a gay club....what's not funny?

But it uses overt (accepted) stereotypes (thank you village people) to avoid being an offensive subtle stereotype and never once erroneously mentions that homosexual intercourse will give you HIV more than any other type (any other? how many types are there!?)

The one layer of inference bit - if people want to say "omg you can only get hiv by being gay" then they've inferred that conclusion incorrectly and can go f**k themselves, to see if that gives them any dazzling insights.

Remember: Dracula being gay but not admitting it to himself is the core of the joke. Seems to be enough of a funny idea to me provided it doesn't offend too much, and still stings at the end.

Ha. Hahahaha. Sorry.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 25 2011, 11:05 AM GMT

I think he's referring to the recent Twilight books/movies and forgetting the hundred years or so of vampire lore that preceeded it.

Then he's a fool!