British Comedy Guide

Quick Question Page 3

Seriously Nil, I think it's great that you've finally owned up to being a necrophile. It must have taken a great deal of effort to come out of the coffin.

Quote: Rob H @ January 22 2011, 11:44 AM GMT

Seriously Nil, I think it's great that you've finally owned up to being a necrophile.

That's a dead rotten thing to say. Pleased

That's Mark P Chip!

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2011, 11:21 AM GMT

If he did tell you off about 'Jap bird' it will have been over potentially racist content.
That's a whole different kettle of fish to wanking and death humour. We're pretty open minded on this board compared to most others on the net.

The basic rules of posting are right here, where they always have been https://www.comedy.co.uk/info/terms_of_use/
You were directed to them and asked to read them when you joined.

So it's ok to say that one could wank themselves to death over a Japanese lady? Not literally over her - but you know where I'm coming from? Phnar, Phnar!

On a serious note, I agree with what you say about board standards and basic rules of posting - but isn't it odd, and Im as guilty here, when we can post about a young girl being murdered yet not about a 'Jap bird'? is 'jap' offensive or 'bird' or both?.

If you write Japanese not Jap, then yes.
And why not actually over her? ;)

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2011, 12:07 PM GMT

If you write Japanese not Jap, then yes.
And why not actually over her? ;)

Well....now you mention it....why the hell not...?

'Chiyoko get in here now!'

Quote: Juan Kerr @ January 22 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

On a serious note, I agree with what you say about board standards and basic rules of posting - but isn't it odd, and Im as guilty here, when we can post about a young girl being murdered yet not about a 'Jap bird'? is 'jap' offensive or 'bird' or both?.

Just Jap, I'd say.

Good hint for us all in life, not just the board: try not to be racist.

I'm always sensitive to it of course, but how come a shortening of a nation or demonym is offensive? How come Brits, Ozzies and Scots are ok but Japs aren't? They are a simple shortening of a longer word, this is an inevitable consequence of language which tends to economise where possible to do so maintaining the original meaning.

I'd look to context here for the final steer, but I don't think referring (in the third-person, not face to face necessarily) to someone as a Jap is any more racist than referring to us as Brits.

Perhaps it's the fact that it's often used negatively that has created the racist association?

Quote: Rob Wood @ January 22 2011, 12:30 PM GMT

Perhaps it's the fact that it's often used negatively that has created the racist association?

Precisely that.
Similar to the shortening 'paki'.

All 'racist' words are just words. It's the intent behind them that can be offensive.
(The intent of the poster specifically, or just the intent behind its general use in society)

Although I tend to use Japanese, I'm not sure that using the term Jap is racist.

Well, seeing as the person (Aaron) the poster said told him off for using it isn't here yet, we can't really know what his motivation was.

It might not even be the case, or could be a misunderstanding.

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2011, 12:46 PM GMT

Well, seeing as the person (Aaron) the poster said told him off for using it isn't here yet, we can't really know what his motivation was. It might not even be the case.

Aaron? Why didn't you say? He's practically famous for his errors of judgement! ;)

Yes, he let you back in for a start. ;)

Quote: zooo @ January 22 2011, 12:52 PM GMT

Yes, he let you back in for a start. ;)

Touche!

*wants to post a picture of the turtle*