British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 619

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 9:27 PM GMT

One belching wheely bin.

Ecclestone a proper actor, a special effects budget that streched to breaking a window, "every planet has a north."

The police are researching bullet proof vests made from the vulnerable sentimentality that protects old Who,

There's plenty of great classic Who stories; that's why the original run lasted almost thirty years; to pretend there wasn't is foolish. You just don't much care for it is all.

The SLitheen were deliberately ridiculous and funny.
And they worked, they bordered on satire.

Against which they had; string vest sea devils, fat cybermen, the blow job maggot thingy, the one eyed cock monster, the hairy chested devil thing, the tin foil thing, cybermen in balaclavas

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 9:30 PM GMT

Against which they had; string vest sea devils, fat cybermen, the blow job maggot thingy, the one eyed cock monster, the hairy chested devil thing, the tin foil thing, cybermen in balaclavas

Rolling eyes

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 20 2011, 9:28 PM GMT

There's plenty of great classic Who stories; that's why the original run lasted almost thirty years; to pretend there wasn't is foolish. You just don't much care for it is all.

There's probably been as many episodes as Eastenders. There are few classic Whos, it just didn't have much competition.

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 9:31 PM GMT

There's probably been as many episodes as Eastenders. There are few classic Whos, it just didn't have much competition.

YOU just don't see worth in a lot of it, that's all, plenty of others do. You don't like it, that's fine; and it's also fine that some of us think the old stuff was often awesome.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2011, 9:31 PM GMT

He does too care for it. If we were all singing the praises of New Who he'd be going on about how much better Classic Who was. He is an unprincipled thread-baiter.

No that is not the case!

I watched revelation of the Cybermen or some such shit. After it had been off the air for years.

It was intermidable, badly written and featured a space rocket made from a coke bottle covered in tinfoil.

I love the Target books they're better than the moribund show ever was.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2011, 9:32 PM GMT

If I could be bothered to use the search facility I'm pretty sure could pull out about 10000000 posts by Sooty saying how awful the Slitheen were. But I have a rubbish sitcom to write!

*goes and stares miserably at blank page*

Opposite and conflicting statements can still be equally true.

Purety of vision isn't true vision.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 20 2011, 9:33 PM GMT

YOU just don't see worth in a lot of it, that's all, plenty of others do. You don't like it, that's fine; and it's also fine that some of us think the old stuff was often awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Enjoy being wrong in big company.

Surely you have to discount the special effects as technology moves on. It's the story that counts.

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 9:33 PM GMT

No that is not the case!

I watched revelation of the Cybermen or some such shit. After it had been off the air for years.

It was intermidable, badly written and featured a space rocket made from a coke bottle covered in tinfoil.

I love the Target books they're better than the moribund show ever was.

First of all, there were plenty of ropey stories, yes; second of all, to judge it in anyway on it's often more than ropey effects is silly.

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 9:35 PM GMT

You're entitled to your opinion.

Enjoy being wrong in big company.

F**king hell.

Ah well, that's enough of this.

Nose to nose with contemporaneous scifi like Lost in Space or StarTrek it looks just sorta lumpen and poorly written.

Certainly H2G2 showed what could be done with similar budgets, effects etc

Old Who & New Who(Who Knew?) are both a bit rubbish & brilliant in different ways. in my opinion

the hairy chested devil thing

I do have a name you know!

Neither are as good as the 1960s Dutch scifi explosion
"Captain Hendroops of the ROyal Netherlands space police."

He had an interstellar canal boat.

The SLitheen were deliberately ridiculous and funny.
And they worked, they bordered on satire.

Satire of what? The old show?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 20 2011, 9:36 PM GMT

F**king hell.

Ah well, that's enough of this.

Kick him, Stott! Kick him in the c**t!

Quote: Ben @ January 20 2011, 10:03 PM GMT

Satire of what? The old show?

Of the corrupt self interested cross party politics of the time.

Yes Who does political satires.

Stick that up your Rhutans.

Quote: Ben @ January 20 2011, 10:03 PM GMT

Kick him, Stott! Kick him in the c**t!

Careful Ben you are the c**t.

Quote: sootyj @ January 20 2011, 10:05 PM GMT

Of the corrupt self interested cross party politics of the time.

Of the TIME?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Just accept it, Griff. Sooty is far more politically insightful that you, or even I, could ever dream of.