British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 8

Quote: Griff @ January 16 2011, 11:34 AM GMT

But if your question is really "Can I flog my Sitcom Mission entry to some of these new writing competitions they have at fringe theatres"

Actually, my question was really "Can I write a 15 minute comic play and pretend it's a sitcom?"

Quote: Jinky @ January 16 2011, 4:19 PM GMT

Actually, my question was really "Can I write a 15 minute comic play and pretend it's a sitcom?"

Why not write a fifteen minute sitcom?

But....but....if I cast a female lead and have her slap her thigh and wink at the audience a lot they'll say I've written Panto when all I've done is tried to copy Miranda.....

Anyway, I'll just do what all you squares are doing and actually write to the brief, then.

Quote: Griff @ January 15 2011, 7:24 PM GMT

I don't think they're claiming "Come on our course and we'll get you from novice to commissioned TV professional in one afternoon". They're claiming "come on our course and you might learn some stuff about sitcom and about your script that you didn't know before".

It's a sobering experience. I've just attended one on the weekend. It's tough when you listen to others sitcom being read by professional actors and then yours. Especially when you come to the conclusion that not only is your sitcom unlikely to be the best submitted to sitcommission it isn't even the best in the room. *work harder roscoff work harder*

Quote: Griff @ January 16 2011, 5:55 PM GMT

Actually I'm giving it a miss altogether this time round. Maybe next year.

What? No Griff this year?

Still it's less competition for my first ever entry...

:P

I got mine in. Aint I a swot? Just a couple of things to be pedantic.

1, I can put in as many entries as I like?

and

2, If I put in all six episodes as six separate entries, would I then have write two new episodes if I got through to the finals stage? As the other five would obviously be crap co's they didn't get through, and also whilst I am thinking about it, if all six get to the final do I then have to write another twelve? co's I don't think I can do that. In fact no forget it, I talked myself out of it. It's too hard. Why do you people make these things so complicated? I need beer! I'm just gonna bang one in and see what happens. Yeahthat's it, bang one in. You are only having one, don't come begging for six it's too late now. "Yes nurse I'm on my way".

Teary

This is probably even more moronic than my previous question, but are names like "McDonalds" or names of other TV shows copyright, and therefore not allowed in the script?

And BatleyWriter, I think you can only submit one episode per show (so select your best), but you can submit as many different episodes of different shows as you want. If I've worded that right... Which I don't think I have.

Quote: heisenberg @ January 18 2011, 9:06 PM GMT

This is probably even more moronic than my previous question, but are names like "McDonalds" or names of other TV shows copyright, and therefore not allowed in the script?

And BatleyWriter, I think you can only submit one episode per show (so select your best), but you can submit as many different episodes of different shows as you want. If I've worded that right... Which I don't think I have.

But if I change the names in each episode?

Huh? Geek

Quote: Griff @ January 18 2011, 9:08 PM GMT

You're fine mentioning brand names in your script.

Brilliant. Thanks.

Quote: Batleywriter @ January 18 2011, 9:49 PM GMT

But if I change the names in each episode?

Huh? Geek

Now I'm as confused as you.

Welcome. Feels good doesn't it?

Quote: Griff @ January 17 2011, 12:25 PM GMT

Ha! No, I shall be concentrating my efforts on the Laughing Stock thing instead. Good luck with yours!

Can we not enter the same sitcom in both competitions Griff?

What is laughing Stock, Griff?

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2011, 9:24 PM GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/laughing_stock_2011.shtml

Wow, thanks Griff :)

For reasons that will become apparent next week, we're going to be extending the final deadline to February 28th, so we've added some more dates to our sitcom-writing workshops. These sell out within days of us putting the details up, so book quickly...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/

I think the reason is apparent already, push the deadline forward and you can hold more workshops - at £75 a pop!