British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 3,337

why does she like cats?

Base her almost entirely on someone you know.

Base her on Nat.

I have written and then almost entirely re-written my new Gigglebox piece. Hoping it's a bit better after some harsh but fair criticism from the Nat.

Now I am waiting for some Ben & Jerrys to defrost slightly so I can eat it all.

Quote: Ben @ January 16 2011, 3:34 PM GMT

I've been coming up with character ideas for a sitcom. Constantly shying away from the female character so far though. She likes cats and that's about all I have.

I used to have trouble with female characters, because I would always focus on the fact they were female; as soon as you forget that you're golden. Even pretend it's a male character, once you get past the barrier of think 'female. female' and just think 'funny', it's as easy as any other character. When you write for a man you don't keep thinking 'he's a man, what would a man be like?' so don't think that way about a female character either.

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezunctly.

Maybe she should like drinking wine and having periods.

Exactly, women are a mystery though.

I always think in terms of questions the answers lead you where you need to go

That and see how she needs to relate to the rest of the action

Quote: sootyj @ January 16 2011, 4:00 PM GMT

Exactly, women are a mystery though.

I'd say thinking like that is where the problems start to happen.

And the fun begins

And the terrible female characters get written. ;)

Quote: Ben @ January 16 2011, 3:34 PM GMT

Constantly shying away from the female character so far though. She likes cats and that's about all I have.

I am disappointed, Ben I thought you were in touch with your feminine side.

Female characters aren't definded by liking cats, shoes and handbags. We're conceited, confrontrational, opionated, confident, shy, lazy, caring, kind, considerate, pretty much all adjectives you'll find in the dictionary can be applied to women.
;)

Female characters are quite easy to right for I find. Men are more difficult to write without making them either knob swinging idiots or over affectionate idiots.

I thought you said she liked jews

Trying to keep up with the blog post a day thingy, and so pre-scheduling a few for next week...

Ooh I was supposed to write a blog post today. Don't know if I can be bothered. Haven't done one this year.