British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 7

As long as it's easily readable, it really doesn't matter. Just make it interesting and funny.

:)

Dan

Perfect. That's great news.

Again thanks.

Quote: heisenberg @ January 5 2011, 12:51 PM GMT

Sigh. I wish I was smarter...

Two last (I promise) questions - You don't use INT/ EXT do you? Instead, in the scene description, you describe the scene setting and the props?

Also for the Act 1 Scene 1 stuff, are you meant to split it up like a sitcom script with Act 1 and Act 2? Or just have one act throughout?

I just put ...sc1....sc2 etc. The least set/props you can have the better. Mine uses the same five chairs throughout and is used as a lounge and a bedroom.
Ask anything you like, we love being smarter than you.....just kidding :D

Haha. Well I feel like the new kid at school, so thanks for showing me around rather than dunking my head in the toilets :)

Pretty sure I know exactly how to format it now.

Thanks all around.

When I entered my script last time around it was in MS Word, in a very, very basic fashion. No fancy formatting, just a name for the character and their line, plus some pretty obvious text for scenes and stage directions and the like.

It was also very, very basic in terms of it's comedy appeal, but that's going off topic... ahem...

Hi folks, is anyone going to either dates of the 'Help I've written a script' workshop? I'm going on the 23rd of Jan. Rich.

I'm on the 15th Jan. Now slightly worried and panicky (is that a word?)

Anyone submitted their script(s) yet?

Quote: Penge @ January 14 2011, 9:51 PM GMT

Anyone submitted their script(s) yet?

Yes :)

Has anyone ever gone on one of these workshops and gleaned enough insight to put together a sitcom that's got somewhere? I'm not doubting the knowledge of the people who run the workshop, but just how far can they advance someone?

I'm a results driven man, Griff.

No, but seriously, I was opening up the whole 'how much can you teach' someone discussion that crops up on here whenever comedy courses are mentioned.

Quote: Ben @ January 15 2011, 6:49 PM GMT

Has anyone ever gone on one of these workshops and gleaned enough insight to put together a sitcom that's got somewhere? I'm not doubting the knowledge of the people who run the workshop, but just how far can they advance someone?

I learned so much I can't explain and my writing of sitcoms has improved tremendously, whether that means it gets anywhere, who can say? but it is sooooooooo difficult for a new writer to break into TV
I can't recommend the workshops highly enough :) There are no words to explain

Quick question.

Is there any real difference between a 15 minute sitcom performed on stage and a 15 minute play?

(I'll do a 'puzzled emoticon' to lend this post extra gravitas)

Eh?

I taught an eight week how to write comedy course once - that is to say eight evening sessions of two hours apiece and I got a great deal out of it. And Caroline Langrishe came along which was nice. :)

I went on a sketch-writing day course once and found it helpful. That was purely based on the craft of a sketch, so I guess these courses are useful in that respect.