British Comedy Guide

Writing Course Advice

Hi,

I know there is a lot of debate on the pros and cons of comedy courses, but if at all possible can we park those for now so you can help me make up my mind about something.

Once I hit the ripe old age of 40 I decided to try something new each year I'd not done before - I'm 42 now and this year I'm having a crack at doing a year of comedy. So far I have done a stand up course (Chris Head) which I enjoyed and I want to have a crack at doing some sketch writing. I've some ideas I'm working on but I'd like to do a course to help me along the way and also to meet other people who are having a go.

Now I know I'll never be a stand up or full time writer but that's not the goal, this is all about having a go. I've had a look round at some writing courses and as I'm after a different angle I'd like to try something run by someone other than Chris - this is not to say I didn't enjoy the stand up course, far from it.

One in particular jumped out - http://thecomedyschool.com/comedy-writing.shtml. Now as I have a family I don't want to do a weekly evening course so am looking at ones I can do over a weekend.

Did anyone attend Rob's previous course as I'd be interested in feedback. Or indeed if anyone has attended any others that were great do let me know.

Sorry this is rather long and thanks for any help.

Phil

Did no one do the Rob Grant course?

It's a lot of money for what it is, might I reccomend the euroscript one in February?

I agree it's a lot of money, but it's probably one of the best people to host something like this, especially if you've not done any comedy writing before.

Ordinarily the people hosting these sorts of courses tend not to have a massive cult sitcom behind them and, with respect, are not 'nameable'. Though, that might actually be a plus! I must admit sometimes I have wondered 'why are you teaching a comedy course and not writing a sitcom for a living?' (which, admittedly, could still apply here)

Anyway, I'd do it. I might still!

Dan

A course I would recommend is the following, http://www.fit2fill.com/f2f/character.html

It is taught by Keith Lindsay who has a history in sitcom writing having been involved in writing The Green Green Grass and Birds of a Feather. The course was, in my opinion, excellent as Keith takes you through devising characters and ensuring the jokes and story come from the conflicts created. On top of that Keith was a really nice guy and very down to earth.

I think the course on that link is out of date now but just check for new course dates being added.

Def.

I did a course with Keith Lindsay a few years ago and found it very useful. I'm tempted by the Rob Grant one though.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I booked the Rob Grant one so I'll let you all know how it goes.

I signed up specifically to say: I'll see you there!
I signed up a couple of days ago. Same kinda thing. Just having a go.

Nice one Rob - see you there!

Oh the Rob Grant course is taking place now. It'd be great to hear how it went.