British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 6

Is there any industry way to judge if you're sit-com is fifteen minutes? Usually with television and film scripts it is considered one page equals one minute. As the organisers have requested the scripts are written in a format for the stage, does the same ruling apply and how will the readers know if it is 15 minutes?

The best way is to simply read it out to yourself, as you would expect it to be performed on stage, and see what time it clocks in at.

Yes I agree with Matthew, you have to act it out and time it

I couldn't find this in the 'about' page. What way should each page of the script be formatted, as in should you have your name, title of piece etc on the top of each page?

Quote: Otterfox @ December 21 2010, 12:57 PM GMT

I couldn't find this in the 'about' page. What way should each page of the script be formatted, as in should you have your name, title of piece etc on the top of each page?

I think Declan mentioned further up this thread that the format has to be in a theatre format not TV. I put my name under the title and my address etc at the end and this has been acceptable before. I don't put my name/title at the top of each page.

Hello

I've written a script in preparation for the 'Help I've Written a Script' workshop and not sure whether you have received my payment etc as I have not rec'd any confirmation or time/place details. Could you let me know asap whether you have rec'd it and confirm that I do have a place in the workshop on 23rd January.

Thanks, Beth.

Quote: Mrs Mac @ December 30 2010, 9:27 AM GMT

Hello

I've written a script in preparation for the 'Help I've Written a Script' workshop and not sure whether you have received my payment etc as I have not rec'd any confirmation or time/place details. Could you let me know asap whether you have rec'd it and confirm that I do have a place in the workshop on 23rd January.

Thanks, Beth.

You're better off emailing them Mrs Mac

Quote: bushbaby @ December 12 2010, 6:54 PM GMT

Yes I agree with Matthew, you have to act it out and time it

This always comes out about 20% shorter than acual performance in my experience, however authentic I try to make the pauses. Don't know quite why this is, but it's consistent enough to rely on for timing purposes.

Hey, just made an account for this specific question.

I'm just wondering what sort of format do you want? I read above that anything legible is okay, but that might have been me misunderstanding the point.

If you do want a stageplay format, would you be okay with the BBC style one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/stage.pdf

Thanks.

There is no mention of it, that I can see, but would it help if we also submitted a 1-page series outline with our script or do you just want the script? Like the previous poster, I'm really happy with what I have written but I am conscious that I don't really have any experience in formatting my script. I have had a look around the internet at scripts and I am yet to see a uniform format. Please can you help. Thanks! :S

Quote: mgh567 @ January 4 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

There is no mention of it, that I can see, but would it help if we also submitted a 1-page series outline with our script or do you just want the script? Like the previous poster, I'm really happy with what I have written but I am conscious that I don't really have any experience in formatting my script. I have had a look around the internet at scripts and I am yet to see a uniform format. Please can you help. Thanks! :S

There is a lot of info on the sitcommission web

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/guidelines/

Also if you go to page 3 on this thread, then scroll down to post 4 and 5 the answer is basically there.

http://www.ozscript.org/assets/files/Script_format_example.pdf

So something like that is the format you're after?

I was just wondering where you put the INT/EXT scene headings, if you use them at all?

And earlier in the thread people were using "lights up" as the way to open a scene.

Quote: heisenberg @ January 4 2011, 5:31 PM GMT

http://www.ozscript.org/assets/files/Script_format_example.pdf

So something like that is the format you're after?

I was just wondering where you put the INT/EXT scene headings, if you use them at all?

And earlier in the thread people were using "lights up" as the way to open a scene.

Yes that looks like a good script format. 'Lights Up'...'Lights Down'....are used on theatre scripts

Thanks.

Sigh. I wish I was smarter...

Two last (I promise) questions - You don't use INT/ EXT do you? Instead, in the scene description, you describe the scene setting and the props?

Also for the Act 1 Scene 1 stuff, are you meant to split it up like a sitcom script with Act 1 and Act 2? Or just have one act throughout?