British Comedy Guide

How great is Paul Whitehouse?

Just finished watching Episode 1 of Help ... the man is a superb actor with tremendous help from the makeup department on all his characters.

He finally comes out from the Harry Enfield shadows.

I reckon Paul Whitehouse is a great talent and I can't actually remember when he ever did anything that was crap. I think he's generally taken for granted and unlike, say, Ricky Gervaise/David Brent, is not limited.

Help is the best thing he's ever done and showed off a wide range. The Fast Show hasn't aged that well imo but it's still good.

Quote: Jason Kindred @ January 26, 2007, 9:46 AM

I think Paul Whitehouse not only came out of Harry Enfield's shadow a long time ago, and then eclipsed him. And if you want another example of Paul Whitehouse's genius (and Charlie Higson's), tune into Radio 4's Down The Line.

Yes that is good!

Incidently it seems Whitehouse likes being in Enfield's shadow. He's got back with him to make a new sketch show... guess which of them's name is in the title? Yup - Enfield. Details here

I like Paul Whitehouse, but I never actually liked Help.

Liked a lot of his stuff, including HAPPINESS, and think that even though THE FAST SHOW was a huge hit he seems to be very undervalued. And why is that hes now going to write for Enfield again? As far as I can tell hes always been ten times the comedian Enfield ever has; why isnt he developing a new sketch show of his own instead of trying to relaunch Enfield?

Just started listening to his RADIO4 show, down the line; very good I thought.

Quote: zooo @ January 26, 2007, 9:35 PM

I like Paul Whitehouse, but I never actually liked Help.

Help was utter genius! What didn't you like about it?

I always got bored after 10 minutes of each episode. Just too sedate for me I suppose. Although I've liked plenty of other things with one character, shot in one room.

I liked Langham though.

Thought Help was fantastic. Will be so sorry if we never see it again.

Whitehouse has really blossomed over the years. Always initially thought he would just be a sidekick to Harry Enfield, but has really gone on to show he's got a superb range of comedy skills.

Still love Enfield too though. :)

Whitehouse overshadowed Enfiled along time ago now. Whitehouse has never made a bad show from The Fast Show, to Help to his recent radio 4 show Down The Line. The man is brilliant.

Paul Whitehouse is a very talented man.
Have you ever heard the guy sing?
Incredible voice too.

Agree with so many comments above. Paul Whitehouse has showed so much character versality, I think he should be on our screens far more, and recognised in the industry FAR MORE!!!

HELP was very well scripted & the characters were 1st class, one of those "you either love it or hate it" runs I feel. I do agree that the Fast Show looks a little weak these days, but it reminds me of good times and gave me laughs when I needed them most, so I will always cherish those days!

I'm a massive fan of Paul Whitehouse's writing and acting. A great, great man.

I read somewhere that he's devised an idea that's going to revolutionise TV comedy. Will be interesting to see whatever it is.

Quote: Ben @ July 30 2010, 11:07 PM BST

I read somewhere that he's devised an idea that's going to revolutionise TV comedy.

Monkey Tennis?

Paul Whitehouse is undeniably talented. Personally I have never been able to bear his wrinkled under-sized face. He is also a bit too blue collar for me - he makes Danny Dyer look like George Osbourne.

I was singularly unimpressed by his treatment of Chris Langham.