British Comedy Guide

What YouTube video are you watching? Page 92

Obviously her armed confidence scared them off like a hipowered pheromone

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 19 2010, 6:26 PM GMT

Watch the news report about the kid with the gun again. At no point does it say that the burglars ever clapped eyes on her. It just says she wandered around the house carrying a loaded gun.

It's pure fluff. Could have been press-released by the NRA.

Hurrah! I heard something right for once.

Quote: zooo @ December 19 2010, 4:27 PM GMT

Yes, all houses with young children should contain a loaded gun, that's common sense!

She was obviously old enough to handle a gun safely and properly. Many kids in this country are given small rifles once they are 10 or 12 years old. They are taught to use and store them properly and safely and there's nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Most of the kids in my neighborhood have been around guns since they were old enough to handle them properly and they'd never fool around with one just for the sake of fooling around.

Like it or not, this young girl reacted safely and properly, using the firearm as responsibly as an adult.

Quote: Leevil @ December 19 2010, 4:30 PM GMT

I would hate to think what it would be like if guns were freely available here. All those chavs packing heat. F**k me, grim.

They are freely available. Anyone who can smuggle drugs, people or contraband into the country can just as easily smuggle guns, but that's missing the point. Guns in the hands of law-abiding, trained citizens are harmless. Having access to a gun will not turn a sane, peaceful person into a killer. Murderers and violent criminals choose their paths in life and will murder, maim and kill with any available weapon.

Quote: DaButt @ December 19 2010, 9:48 PM GMT

Murderers and violent criminals choose their paths in life and will murder, maim and kill with any available weapon.

Absolutely true.

And how many people would be alive today if the Columbine idiots were armed with knives?

ahem we just had 2 massacres in the uk

Quote: sootyj @ December 19 2010, 11:56 PM GMT

ahem we just had 2 massacres in the uk

Really? Gun massacres? When/where?

The Cumbria killings this year and Raoul Moat (though I don't think that counts as a massacre).

They were up north, they don't count...

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 19 2010, 11:54 PM GMT

And how many people would be alive today if the Columbine idiots were armed with knives?

Well, if we're going to fantasize then let's imagine how many people would have died had the 2 idiots been armed with knives and the rest of the class had been allowed to bring handguns to school.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 20 2010, 12:02 AM GMT

The Cumbria killings this year and Raoul Moat (though I don't think that counts as a massacre).

I was talking about kids with guns.

Obviously, if you want to talk about grown-ups with guns, we've had a few.

If you want to talk about grown-ups with guns, we've even had a school shooting (Dunblane).

But I don't think we've had a case of a kid with a gun going nuts and shooting up their classmates.

Quote: DaButt @ December 20 2010, 12:20 AM GMT

Well, if we're going to fantasize then let's imagine how many people would have died had the 2 idiots been armed with knives and the rest of the class had been allowed to bring handguns to school.

Well, that would depend on how many were killed in the crossfire.

And how many would be killed every day if every idiot kid was allowed to carry a deadly weapon.

how about the ridiculously high knife fatalities in london

i'm just saying no guns doesn't equate to no violence

wealth and education seem to be bigger factors

that was kinda the point made in bowling for columbine

Quote: sootyj @ December 20 2010, 12:33 AM GMT

how about the ridiculously high knife fatalities in london

i'm just saying no guns doesn't equate to no violence

wealth and education seem to be bigger factors

Well, duh.

Back to my point -- if these knife-crime twats had guns, how many more people would be dead now?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 20 2010, 12:39 AM GMT

Back to my point -- if these knife-crime twats had guns, how many more people would be dead now?

If someone with a knife wants to kill someone, he will. If someone with a gun wants to kill someone, he will. Merely possessing a gun doesn't turn someone into a rampaging mass murderer.

Here in Texas I always assume that the little old lady in front of me at the grocery store has a revolver in her purse. The same thing goes for the old man walking his dogs and the guy serving me drinks at the bar. Law-abiding citizens who possess guns legally commit very few gun crimes. Criminals (gang members, convicted felons, drug dealers and drug users) who possess guns illegally are the ones who are murdering people.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 20 2010, 12:39 AM GMT

Well, duh.

in cumbria and dunblaine its pretty much acknowledged the lack of armed response made these massacres far worse

and coulmbine could have been done with home made explosives

Quote: DaButt @ December 20 2010, 12:51 AM GMT

If someone with a knife wants to kill someone, he will. If someone with a gun wants to kill someone, he will. Merely possessing a gun doesn't turn someone into a rampaging mass murderer.

Here in Texas I always assume that the little old lady in front of me at the grocery store has a revolver in her purse. The same thing goes for the old man walking his dogs and the guy serving me drinks at the bar. Law-abiding citizens who possess guns legally commit very few gun crimes. Criminals (gang members, convicted felons, drug dealers and drug users) who possess guns illegally are the ones who are murdering people.

Maybe you're missing my point mate.

Say I'm in a post office, feeling a bit homicidal...

If I have a knife, baseball bat, frying pan, etc, I might take one or two people with me.

If I have a gun and sufficient ammo, y'all are going down. That's extra dead people that didn't need to be dead. That little old lady too. If somebody wants to kill lots of people, they can do it with a gun. They can't do it with most other weapons.

Or... maybe you're not missing my point.

Maybe you think that all people should be equipped with guns permanently, to deter the real nutters from shooting them.

I don't want to live in that world. A world where everybody I meet is my potential murderer.

Do you want to live in that world?

Quote: sootyj @ December 20 2010, 12:59 AM GMT

in cumbria and dunblaine its pretty much acknowledged the lack of armed response made these massacres far worse

That's so idiotic I can't believe I'm replying.

By "armed response" you presumably mean cops showing up with guns, right? You're not talking about arming the Dunblane schoolchildren? Or the random victims in Cumbria?