British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 267

The problem with these surveys is they are condensed into convenient media sound bites that they raise more questions than provide answers; is alcohol more dangerous because it has more consumers and therefore more problems?

How is 'danger' defined- for eg unadulterated heroin may not be that physically harmful but its addictive qualities and prohibition leads to a dangerous unhealthy lifestyle.

How is dangerous is moderate social alcohol use combined with a healthy diet?

I'm sure Prof. Nutt and his team can answer these questions but our media and political culture don't like too many facts to get in the way of a cheap headline or credit Jo Public for being able to understand the big picture.

Quote: youngian @ November 4 2010, 1:24 PM GMT

The problem with these surveys is they are condensed into convenient media sound bites that they raise more questions than provide answers; is alcohol more dangerous because it has more consumers and therefore more problems?

Yes.

Quote: zooo @ November 4 2010, 1:24 PM GMT

Yes.

Then ban it.

Simple if it's that bad. But of course that won't happen because it's a nice revenue stream.

Not.

Yeh but Ellie moderate and social drinking....

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 1:27 PM GMT

Then ban it.

Simple if it's that bad. But of course that won't happen because it's a nice revenue stream.

No, don't ban it you plum. Prohabition never works. It certainly would not in the UK anyway, because we don't have any fear of the government.

But you should not make less dangerous drugs illegal based on a supposed 'moral compass' and pressure from the ignorant.

Quote: sootyj @ November 4 2010, 1:32 PM GMT

Yeh but Ellie moderate and social drinking....

Angelic

The stats show that moderate drinkers are healthier than teetotallers, but it's difficult to say whether the relationship is causal.

Whenever there's a report 'proving' that red wine helps fight cancer or beer helps with digestion, they always fails to mention the other ailments to which the drinker becomes more susceptible.

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 1:27 PM GMT

Then ban it.

They shouldn't ban it, they should also legalise most, if not all drugs. Especially if beer and fags are legal, it's hypocritical not too. Legalise, whack a great big tax on them all, simple. As long as people were also educated as to the pros and cons of each drug.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 4 2010, 2:56 PM GMT

They shouldn't ban it, they should also legalise most, if not all drugs. Especially if beer and fags are legal, it's hypocritical not too. Legalise, whack a great big tax on them all, simple. As long as people were also educated as to the pros and cons of each drug.

YES. Legalise, regulate, educate.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 4 2010, 2:57 PM GMT

YES. Legalise, regulate, educate.

And I say that as a non-druggie; I only drink booze, no interest in anything else.

Apart from injecting heroin into my cock, obviously.

I prefer injecting my cock into heron.

:D

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 4 2010, 3:10 PM GMT

I prefer injecting my cock into heron.

You do realise you just implied your cock is 3.5 milimeters wide?

Yeah stop with the boasting Nil