British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 266

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 10:08 AM GMT

Does anyone else believe the news that alcohol is more damaging the all other drugs?

I think the evidence has always been inescapable that alcohol is an extremely damaging drug, but the Prof who recently restated this was the guy who was sacked as chief drugs advisor to the government after he opposed them getting tough on marijuana, so perhaps he has his own reasons for making it 'news'.

Quote: Nogget @ November 4 2010, 10:22 AM GMT

I think the evidence has always been inescapable that alcohol is an extremely damaging drug, but the Prof who recently restated this was the guy who was sacked as chief drugs advisor to the government after he opposed them getting tough on marijuana, so perhaps he has his own reasons for making it 'news'.

But it's not like anyone who drinks is thinking "Really? It's not a life giving tonic?" We know it's bad for us in large doses. The fact is it's a nice controllable taxable addictive substance.

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 10:29 AM GMT

But it's not like anyone who drinks is thinking "Really? It's not a life giving tonic?" We know it's bad for us in large doses.

Drug-users are often in denial about their habit, and that includes alcohol. The fact that we talk about 'drugs and alcohol' demonstrates how we tend to want to imagine it isn't like all the other drugs.

Does anyone else believe the news that alcohol is more damaging the all other drugs?

In all honesty yes. I think one of the major issues this country has is its drink culture.

Quote: bigfella @ November 4 2010, 11:31 AM GMT

In all honesty yes. I think one of the major issues this country has is its drink culture.

I'm not sure it is.

Other countries drink more then we do. Yet they can manage not to glass each other every Friday night, and the point I was trying to make was that when ever news like this is released it's usually followed by a tax. "You can't help your self so we'll tax you healthy."

Correct! Mr Gav. You go out in Italy and people are drinking but not getting pissed. Thats what we do here, lets go out and get pissed! Sometimes we have no soul. :(

And quite frankly it can be taxed a much as you want. My 6 bottles of beer a year will just have to get cut back to four. :)

Quote: bigfella @ November 4 2010, 11:41 AM GMT

Correct! Mr Gav. You go out in Italy and people are drinking but not getting pissed. Thats what we do here, lets go out and get pissed! Sometimes we have no soul. :(

And quite frankly it can be taxed a much as you want. My 6 bottles of beer a year will just have to get cut back to four. :)

It's a problem with the national psyche not with the booze.

It is. Its all the boozes fault. It sits in dark corners plotting to take over the world.

Quote: bigfella @ November 4 2010, 11:50 AM GMT

It is. Its all the boozes fault. It sits in dark corners plotting to take over the world.

Haha hardly. If we all stopped buying drugs within a week the country would be crippled with debt. Since we are a consumer nation and don't produce Jack shit anymore.

That is true.

(Let me tell you a secret though Mr Gav, don't tell anyone though. The country is lready crippled with debt. Shhhh though. We'll cause panic)

Have you bought shares in brewery or something Gav?

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 11:52 AM GMT

Haha hardly. If we all stopped buying drugs within a week the country would be crippled with debt. Since we are a consumer nation and don't produce Jack shit anymore.

We're the 6th largest manufacturer in the world apparently.

Of what I know not.

Shit sitcoms and self righteous drunks I guess.

Quote: sootyj @ November 4 2010, 12:03 PM GMT

Of what I know not.

Shit sitcoms and self righteous drunks I guess.

Really? What the f**k do we manufacture? Lol!

Quote: bigfella @ November 4 2010, 11:55 AM GMT

That is true.

(Let me tell you a secret though Mr Gav, don't tell anyone though. The country is lready crippled with debt. Shhhh though. We'll cause panic)

Have you bought shares in brewery or something Gav?

Haha! No mate I just dislike officials using convient facts to justify a tax that was intended all along is all.

Quote: sootyj @ November 4 2010, 12:03 PM GMT

Of what I know not.

Arms

Legs

Does anyone else believe the news that alcohol is more damaging the all other drugs? Or do you think like me it's a convenient news story to justify pumping up tax on booze.

Yes, and yes. Alcohol and tobacco are responsible for by FAR the most deaths in the UK.

Quote: Gavin @ November 4 2010, 12:05 PM GMT

Really? What the f**k do we manufacture? Lol!

Steel, cars, food. I'm out of ideas.