British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 260

Palin would be the first American president I'd be willing to f**k. Although Reagan did have a purty mouth.

Quote: chipolata @ November 3 2010, 8:00 PM GMT

Palin would be the first American president I'd be willing to f**k. Although Reagan did have a purty mouth.

Don't pretend you wouldn't have melted had Clinton laid his moves on you.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 3 2010, 6:05 PM GMT

Has it really got that much worse in the last two years? Wasn't it all pretty f**ked from Bush's reign of terror?

It was only a reign of terror if you're the type who treats their political party like a sports team. Too many liberals insist that conservatives are stupid, evil monsters and too many conservatives think the same about liberals.

To narrow the election results down to a single cause would be impossible, but it was mainly about this:

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 3 2010, 7:59 PM GMT

With respect, there are only 300 million Americans.

Six billion other people on the planet are significantly affected by the way your electorate sways, and y'all have a track record of making extraordinarily stupid decisions based on flawed, often outright false, information.

Americans owe it to the world, and to sanity in general, to keep the likes of Palin as far away as possible from having any impact at all on anything more mentally taxing than waiting in a Denny's.

It's that lind of statement that makes them bomb people

still roll over Uncle Sam the UK and France are getting a joint 10,000 strong brigade

Quote: chipolata @ November 3 2010, 8:00 PM GMT

Get in line cat boy

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:02 PM GMT

It was only a reign of terror if you're the type who treats their political party like a sports team. Too many liberals insist that conservatives are stupid, evil monsters and too many conservatives think the same about liberals.

Hang about, I said pretty much that earlier in the thread and you shot me down. Hypocrite! :)

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 3 2010, 6:27 PM GMT

The idea that someone cannot get treatment because they can't afford insurance is just strange to me.

That's not how it works. My daughter was without insurance for a few months and had a $50,000 hospitalization for which she never paid a penny.

The system is clearly screwed up and needs correction, but the bill which was passed doesn't do that. It contained a few good points along with a lot of bullshit. Something that major should have been given more consideration and effort instead of turning into a party line vote.

The crux of the problem is that Americans don't trust the government. They know that the government can't do anything cheaply or efficiently and are wary about turning over their health care (almost 3 trillion dollars per year) to the government because they know they'll probably make a shambles of it.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:09 PM GMT

That's not how it works.

That episode of ER I barely remember wouldn't lie to me. Would it? Teary

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 3 2010, 7:25 PM GMT

I thought that's what you all have to have over there anyway?

It has never been compulsory. Millions of young, healthy people choose not to pay for insurance and are willing to take the risk of being saddled with huge bills if they need care, even though insurance is available to them through their employers. In the future they'll find themselves fined for doing so.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:13 PM GMT

It has never been compulsory. Millions of young, healthy people choose not to pay for insurance and are willing to take the risk of being saddled with huge bills if they need care, even though insurance is available to them through their employers. In the future they'll find themselves fined for doing so.

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs, but that statement on its own doesn't sound too bad.

Quote: youngian @ November 3 2010, 7:53 PM GMT

I doubt if a female Barry Goldwater who thinks Africa is a country and boasts that she never reads will make it.

Is she stupid or do her opponents/detractors/enemies just make a point out of attacking her at every opportunity and you feel like joining in? Obama famously claimed to have visited "all 57 states" so is he unfit to hold office?

George Bush's SAT scores clearly put him in the top 5-6% of the populace and he graduated from one of the finest universities in the nation yet his "stupidity" is continuously pointed out by his detractors. His opponent in 2004, John Kerry, ran with the "stupid" meme but never released his own scores. I wonder why ...

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:27 PM GMT

Is she stupid or do her opponents/detractors/enemies just make a point out of attacking her at every opportunity and you feel like joining in? Obama famously claimed to have visited "all 57 states" so is unfit to hold office?

George Bush's SAT scores clearly put him in the top 5-6% of the populace and he graduated from one of the finest universities in the nation yet his "stupidity" is continuously pointed out by his detractors. His opponent in 2004, John Kerry, ran with the "stupid" meme but never released his own scores. I wonder why ...

Please.

You only need to watch unexpurgated interviews with Bush and/or Palin to realise neither one of them was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Bush was not a smart man, and Palin is borderline special needs.

I don't believe either of them had ever left the North America until they started having national-level political aspirations.

I read somewhere that the average US household has to pay on average an extra $1000 a year to subsidise people who don't have insurance.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:27 PM GMT

George Bush's SAT scores clearly put him in the top 5-6% of the populace and he graduated from one of the finest universities in the nation yet his "stupidity" is continuously pointed out by his detractors.

He did look and sound dumb though, which is not what you want from the person leading your country.

Isn't Palin the one behind that odd 'Tea Party' thing you have going on over there?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 3 2010, 8:32 PM GMT

Bush was not a smart man, and Palin is borderline special needs.

I don't know about the hook and sinker but you've certainly swallowed the party line.

GUYS, GUYS. This is all trivial compared to this horror.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/26/paul-psychic-octopus-dies-football

It's a sad, sad day for animal ESP enthusiasts world wide.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 8:38 PM GMT

I don't know about the hook and sinker but you've certainly swallowed the party line.

That's a little flawed though, as we in the UK don't see anything of the campaigns. Just TV appearances, speeches, news reports and interviews etc.