British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 259

The UK and the US are two differing examples of failing health services

Neither works or gives good value.

Quote: sootyj @ November 3 2010, 6:46 PM GMT

The UK and the US are two differing examples of failing health services

Neither works or gives good value.

But at least we don't have to go into debt to pay for treatment in our shit one.

The NHS is pretty good. I don't think it's failing. It's not as good as it could be, certainly.

Seemingly, I had mistaked the current health care reform wth the national health care act.

It's more a choice of dying from untouchable medical professionals or on a waiting list

or from being to broke, ill or unlucky to get health insurance

neither works. The European model of state controlled insurance is better.

The reaction by some to health insurance for the poor is as disgusting as it is incomprehensible.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 6:03 PM GMT

We didn't get public health care, we got a law which forces every American to purchase health insurance. .

Not really all that different then. Here in the UK we have "National Insurance Contributions" deducted from our wages to the tune of 9 to 12% of salarary.

Quote: sootyj @ November 3 2010, 7:07 PM GMT

The European model of state controlled insurance is better.

Yes I read about this. Seems rather sensible, providing it's accessible enough for the least fortunate.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 6:03 PM GMT

We didn't get public health care, we got a law which forces every American to purchase health insurance.

I thought that's what you all have to have over there anyway?

If Obama can't run rings around these 5th rate windbag teaparty populists he doesn't to be re-elected.

My feeling is that you don't rise up in Chicago politcs without learning a trick or two and he can also take advice from the Clintons who sucessfully dealt with Newt Gingrich and his loopy allies in Congress.

If anything it is moderate Republicans who are more worried about these teaparty loons becuase despite European stereotypes about US electors being gun happy right wing nutters you have to secure the centre ground to win the presidency.

If I'm wrong at least 'son of Blair' David Milliband will not be PM to push into whatever crazy war President Palin will want to involve us in after 2012.

If Palin is prez I'm hiding in a hole in Wales

Quote: zooo @ November 3 2010, 5:54 PM GMT

Palin cannot run a f**king country. She's a joke!

What makes you say that? And what made Obama qualified to do so? Think about it.

Palin is a crazy mental person.

Quote: chipolata @ November 3 2010, 6:01 PM GMT

I'm just an observer. How your country f**ks itself up means nothing to me.

Our country is doing just fine. Every couple of years we switch from Democrat to Republican leadership, keeping us nicely centered. The only real problem is our massive debt and the citizens realize that it needs to be controlled, hence the election results. If the new crowd in Washington continue to spend money that we don't have they'll find themselves looking for new jobs, too.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 7:43 PM GMT

What makes you say that? And what made Obama qualified to do so? Think about it.

Coming from a country with a parliamentery system I'm not an expert but he wentthrough an 18 month job interview with his party's primaries and a presidential election where you are under scrutiny 24/7.

I doubt if a female Barry Goldwater who thinks Africa is a country and boasts that she never reads will make it.

However I'm judging this on a people that showed wisdom and a leap of faith in electing an inspirational figure like Obama, who of course are totally different people to those that elected Reagan and Dubya.

Quote: DaButt @ November 3 2010, 7:50 PM GMT

Our country is doing just fine. Every couple of years we switch from Democrat to Republican leadership, keeping us nicely centered. The only real problem is our massive debt and the citizens realize that it needs to be controlled, hence the election results. If the new crowd in Washington continue to spend money that we don't have they'll find themselves looking for new jobs, too.

With respect, there are only 300 million Americans.

Six billion other people on the planet are significantly affected by the way your electorate sways, and y'all have a track record of making extraordinarily stupid decisions based on flawed, often outright false, information.

Americans owe it to the world, and to sanity in general, to keep the likes of Palin as far away as possible from having any impact at all on anything more mentally taxing than waiting in a Denny's.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 3 2010, 7:45 PM GMT

Palin is a crazy mental person.

That, basically.

She's a shrill, bizarre person. Maybe to other Americans in some kind of context she seems semi-normal, but to other countries she is a VERY odd woman.

I'm not saying either of them are great president material, but Obama at least comes across as a sensible, sane person. Palin comes across as a made-up charicature.