British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 253

Is Natalie in there? It used to be quite popular but isn't any more.

Quote: zooo @ October 28 2010, 1:09 PM BST

Those bloody olives with their anger issues.

It's the one's with slices of garlic stuffed up their chuffs who are really mean. The giant greek ones are ok.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 28 2010, 1:10 PM BST

Is Natalie in there? It used to be quite popular but isn't any more.

You're in the enigmatic wilderness with the Sootyj's.

I used to get annoyed when Laura was always in there as I felt common. And now it's not there I feel a bit left out and offended.

Never bloody happy.

Hey take the L away and you're "Aura"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/8090452/As-many-boys-named-Harsh-as-Gordon.html

Either Oliver or Jack was the most popular name in 9 out of the 10 regional areas; the one exception being the West Midlands, where the top boys name was Mohammed.

Quote: Nogget @ October 28 2010, 1:47 PM BST

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/8090452/As-many-boys-named-Harsh-as-Gordon.html

Either Oliver or Jack was the most popular name in 9 out of the 10 regional areas; the one exception being the West Midlands, where the top boys name was Mohammed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/oct/27/oliver-top-boys-name-jack

"As in previous years, the name Mohammed, which ranked 16th, would take top place among boys if all possible spellings were aggregated. But as a spokesman for the Official for National Statistics pointed out, this is potentially misleading if no other names are similarly combined: there were still more Olivers than Mohammeds if you count the 511 Ollies, 127 Oliviers, 124 Ollys, 16 Ollis and 9 Olis born in 2009. The merging of Harry with Henry and Jack with John would produce similar disruptions to the list."

Quote: sootyj @ October 28 2010, 1:43 PM BST

Hey take the L away and you're "Aura"

True. Very deep. :)

Quote: Nogget @ October 28 2010, 1:50 PM BST

"As in previous years, the name Mohammed, which ranked 16th, would take top place among boys if all possible spellings were aggregated. But as a spokesman for the Official for National Statistics pointed out, this is potentially misleading if no other names are similarly combined: there were still more Olivers than Mohammeds if you count the 511 Ollies, 127 Oliviers, 124 Ollys, 16 Ollis and 9 Olis born in 2009. The merging of Harry with Henry and Jack with John would produce similar disruptions to the list."

Good spot.

Nice comment in The Guardian on the housing benefit story .

We have entered a world in which Boris Johnson is the sane critic of a terrible Government policy; which is being defended by Vince Cable.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 29 2010, 11:27 AM BST

Nice comment in The Guardian on the housing benefit story . We have entered a world in which Boris Johnson is the sane critic of a terrible Government policy; which is being defended by Vince Cable. Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Alas, Bottling Boris didn't have the balls to stand by his comment.

Iran is about to get a seat on the UNs womens rights commitee

What the f**k?

big articlein The Guardian on use of judicial rape in Iran as well

Quote: sootyj @ October 29 2010, 11:23 PM BST

Iran is about to get a seat on the UNs womens rights commitee

What the f**k

Reap what you sow, etc.

The world is heading back to the 1930s. It's going to be ugly.

If only it was that dramatic, the current axis of evil is pretty pathetic and should be confrontef

Women don't really like sex

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/31/stephen-fry-sex-women-relationships-attitude

I think they may have misquoted him/taken it out of context.

(How unlike a newspaper!)

Bit rich coming from Stephen, isn't it? Someone who once-upon-a-time promoted the fact he was celibate and used to go on TV talking about how revolting the whole sexual process was?

Much as I love Stephen, it's high time some of his fans realised that he too can get things wrong.

Saying that, I've read Stephen's views on this before (he writes a very good passage - in character - on the subject in his novel The Hippopotamus, for example) and I think he's saying that, in general, women do not enjoy sex as much as men, simply because they are not as biologically driven to want sex as much as men. That, I would think, is not especially controversial or misogynistic. Life would be a lot easier for blokes if they didn't crave sex more than women. As Socrates (by way of Russell Brand) said, "[possessing a] male libido is like being chained to a madman"...... Just ask Chip.