British Comedy Guide

BCG Achievements Page 3

The Smoked Red Herring

Invent a character with bizarre views and troll threads endlessly under this assumed identity.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 13 2010, 11:31 PM BST

Cotterging
Make a gently mocking remark on a Cotter thread about his insistence on individually listing every single credit he can lay claim to where a simple 'by James Cotter' would have done.

Laughing out loud I always say credit where credit is due.

The HOW not to start a comedy website
Join the BCG, cause a lot of trouble, say you wrote Waterloo Rd and attempt to sign people up to another comedy website by stealing their email addresses which (if any good) would be a direct competition to the BCG.

Quote: James Cotter @ October 14 2010, 11:04 AM BST

Laughing out loud I always say credit where credit is due.

This isn't really the place for it, but I think if you solicit for opinions most will tell you it sullies your work with uneccessary amateurishness (if indeed that's even a word). You're one short stop from crediting yourself as the tea boy. As far as quick sketches, no-one really cares who did what. For your own sake I'd recommend just crediting the Writer, Director and Performer, and even then, not in the video itself. Believe me, I've learned the hard way...

Quote: David Bussell @ October 14 2010, 11:12 AM BST

This isn't really the place for it, but I think if you solicit for opinions most will tell you it sullies your work with uneccessary amateurishness (if indeed that's even a word). You're one short stop from crediting yourself as the tea boy. As far as quick sketches, no-one really cares who did what. For your own sake I'd recommend just crediting the Writer, Director and Performer, and even then, not in the video itself. Believe me, I've learned the hard way...

Fair enough don't say I don't listen to feedback. Especially from you. I'll take some of the credits away okay?

Quote: David Bussell @ October 14 2010, 11:12 AM BST

That wasn't very gently phrased. I think Kenneth Williams put it much more politely in The Wind in the Willows:

'Now, look here, James,' said the Rat. 'It's about the credits for this comedy routine of yours, and very sorry I am to have to speak to you like this. But we want you to understand clearly, once and for all, that there are going to be no creative consultant credits and no executive producer credits. Try and grasp the fact that on this occasion we're not arguing with you; we're just telling you.'

James saw that he was trapped. They understood him, they saw through him, they had got ahead of him. His pleasant dream was shattered.

'Mayn't I take the credit for just one LITTLE joke?' he pleaded piteously.

'No, not ONE little joke,' replied the Rat firmly, though his heart bled as he noticed the trembling lip of the poor disappointed James. 'It's no good, Jamesy; you know well that your comedy credits are all conceit and boasting and vanity; and your biographies are all self-praise and- and- well, and gross exaggeration and- and--'

'And gas,' put in the Badger Bussell, in his common way.

Laughing out loud

Quote: James Cotter @ October 14 2010, 11:15 AM BST

Fair enough don't say I don't listen to feedback. Especially from you. I'll take some of the credits away okay?

It's your choice of course but I really think you'd be doing yourself a favour. I'm the last person to bully someone about over-promoting themselves but there are certain things that just make people bristle, and crediting yourself as exec-producer in a two man production is one of them.

Quote: Kenneth @ October 14 2010, 11:22 AM BST

That wasn't very gently phrased. I think Kenneth Williams put it much more politely in The Wind in the Willows:

'Now, look here, James,' said the Rat. 'It's about the credits for this comedy routine of yours, and very sorry I am to have to speak to you like this. But we want you to understand clearly, once and for all, that there are going to be no creative consultant credits and no executive producer credits. Try and grasp the fact that on this occasion we're not arguing with you; we're just telling you.'

James saw that he was trapped. They understood him, they saw through him, they had got ahead of him. His pleasant dream was shattered.

'No, not ONE little joke,' replied the Rat firmly, though his heart bled as he noticed the trembling lip of the poor disappointed James. 'It's no good, Jamesy; you know well that your comedy credits are all conceit and boasting and vanity; and your biographies are all self-praise and- and- well, and gross exaggeration and- and--'

Huh? Okay. I don't know what to make of that.

Quote: Kenneth @ October 14 2010, 11:22 AM BST

:D

I don't profess to be an authority but come on, am I wrong?

Also, I'm in serious danger of scoring this Achievement...

Let's Talk About My Balls
Successfully hijack a thread such that its original topic is not discussed for at least three full pages.

Quote: James Cotter @ October 14 2010, 11:25 AM BST

It just means I'm a fan of The Wind in the Willows and I admire your productivity, confidence, tenacity and comedy - but as Bussell says, too much self-credit may not be the best thing.

Exec producer credits don't even mean that much in Hollywood blockbusters.

Come on guys, maybe a gentle PM rather than a public battering on a thread that didn't ask for it would have been a bit more respectful.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 14 2010, 11:25 AM BST

It's your choice of course but I really think you'd be doing yourself a favour. I'm the last person to bully someone about over-promoting themselves but there are certain things that just make people bristle, and crediting yourself as exec-producer in a two man production is one of them.

:) Thanks for the advice I appreciate it and have already done something about it.

Quote: James Cotter @ October 14 2010, 11:25 AM BST

The Toad

Endlessly prolong a thread by being frustratingly impervious to all helpful advice.

(Though there is part of me that suspects that Cotter may just be Kipper's most successful creation.)