British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 236

Roger Whittaker if it's The Clangers?

Quote: DaButt @ September 23 2010, 11:25 PM BST

Gun + a man trying to pull me from my car and beat me to a pulp = exactly what I need to protect myself.

Sorry to hear about such a traumatic experience, and I can understand how you could feel safer if you were prepared in the future. If you had pulled a gun though, might the situation have escalated? I would have thought that an obnoxious person such as you describe might be tempted to follow you home; and he might have his own gun.

Maybe if you an emergency list of urbane witty English one liners on a card, you could just pun him down.

In truth though societies where people may be armed are often less violent for fear of consequences.

See: America!

Totally non-violent.

I am on Radio Sussex shortly talking about paying people to lose weight. Anyone got any views?

I would love for someone to pay me to lose weight. Though I would prefer someone to pay me and to get rid of the weight for me.

Quote: Nogget @ September 27 2010, 6:32 AM BST

Sorry to hear about such a traumatic experience, and I can understand how you could feel safer if you were prepared in the future. If you had pulled a gun though, might the situation have escalated? I would have thought that an obnoxious person such as you describe might be tempted to follow you home; and he might have his own gun.

You don't pull the gun out unless you intend to shoot someone; it's not used as a threat or warning. Had I been armed, I wouldn't have pulled the gun out unless he had made an attempt to attack me or pull me from the car. Had he done so, I would have shot him.

Is it literal? Like Shakespeare's pound of flesh?

I just can't understand it. I'll never be able to.

Quote: zooo @ September 27 2010, 8:09 AM BST

See: America!

Totally non-violent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1323758/A-quarter-of-English-are-victims-of-crime.html

Bit out of date now, isn't it?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 27 2010, 9:46 AM BST

Bit out of date now, isn't it?

I doubt that crime rates have changed all that dramatically since the article was published.

I'd say this is probably a more relevant article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

America having a homicide rate of more than 3 times that of central Europe. We have more petty and theft crimes, because ours don't escalate to shooting someone in the face ;)

Generally.

America's problem is being armed is a choice, make it compulsory job done.

They should have telethons to arm the impoverished.

Quote: sootyj @ September 27 2010, 9:53 AM BST

America's problem is being armed is a choice, make it compulsory

There are a few cities where gun ownership is mandatory.