British Comedy Guide

Script Formats and the Production Process Page 3

Quote: Griff @ August 23 2010, 5:32 PM BST

I think Marc P might use it?

I do have it and have used it but am rubbish on the ins and outs on it. Sorry. :(

Thanks to everyone regarding Final Draft 8 comments. I really appreciate the comments made. I now know it(FD8) can be problematic and that it's not just me; which is reassuring!

Meanwhile I am writing a character/script with view to submitting to a well liked BBC programme. I intend to submit it to the company which produces the programme.

I wonder if anyone here could advise me on this. I am seeking to introduce a character to a successful and well formatted comedy programme. I am sure of the voice of the programme, the participant's throughout, and content. I am less sure about how exactly one seeks to afford a new character a chance to be heard successfully in these circumstances. Is there a way I can best make the character be heard, when all is well anyway.

The character would have to integrate with the well formatted show. I have written it and it looks fine to me (the character makes me laugh a lot!). The character really does feel right. I have enjoyed writing the script thus far and I know the character could be a successful add-on to the show.

Naturally I am hopeful that I have written something which may afford me a chance to go forward. The show is a bit zany and I have written similarly zany scripts throughout my life in addition to other writing, which usually has a "comedic" value; purely because I love to write.

I have never actually submitted a script to a production company before. Frankly, part of me thinks that the character is so easily integrated and appropriate, while another reminds me that nobody seems to like FD8, for example.

So, I wonder if anyone here could give me their thoughts/advice on how best to secure the "gig" I have described. Which software, approach, follow-up etc...? Any advice would be truly appreciated, and shared here.

Many thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Lill.

Quote: Lilly The Pink @ August 28 2010, 11:05 PM BST

I am seeking to introduce a character to a successful and well formatted comedy programme. I am sure of the voice of the programme, the participant's throughout, and content. I am less sure about how exactly one seeks to afford a new character a chance to be heard successfully in these circumstances. Is there a way I can best make the character be heard, when all is well anyway.

I suppose just remember that the show shouldn't become the New Character Show if it is already an established series; make sure all the other characters are served as they should be and it's not just all about this new arrival.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 28 2010, 11:44 PM BST

I suppose just remember that the show shouldn't become the New Character Show if it is already an established series; make sure all the other characters are served as they should be and it's not just all about this new arrival.

Hi Matthew

Thanks so much for your reply and I totally understand and appreciate the points you have made. I agree, and realise the thoughts which may visit the recipients of my script. Many thanks indeed for your kind and useful advice. Lill.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 28 2010, 11:44 PM BST

Thanks and I agree.

Whoops! Sorry, I'm in denial about my need to wear glasses!!

Quote: billwill @ February 20 2010, 1:16 PM BST

PirateThe serial number will time-out after it has been used on 10 dates, but more than one person can download on the same date.Pirate If you spot that it has timed-out let me know and I'll add another 10 days lifetime.

Hi Bill, that code has timed out, are you still offering a free copy to BCG members?

Ok I have given it another nine lives.

Carry on.

I suspect that world wide users not on BCG might be googling & finding the free offer & using up the lives intended for BCG members.

If it persists I'll need to provide the complimentary BCG copy by a different method.

Have fun.

Quote: billwill @ June 1 2011, 4:00 PM BST

Ok I have given it another nine lives.

Many thanks.

Popped to the top for newbies like brynne.

See also: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14314/

I've got Final Draft 8 - it's got a series of templates, including BBC Taped Sitcom, which I use. Go to File, then New from Stationery.