British Comedy Guide

Claire Zolkwer - New ITV Head of Comedy Page 10

Of course some elitism does exist-it occurs in every organisation. Although it's better than it worse-in 50s and 60s for instance the Beeb seemed to be run by the ex-RAF officers, or so it seems anyway.

A quickie in response - something more considered later. Part of the problem with "My Family" type mainstream on ITV is the Advertisers don't like it - as Sit com is so high profile when it airs and the newspaper critics are just waiting to slag it off ("Why do we have to have canned laughter at an unfunny joke" etc....) the advertisers won't pay to have product placed in the breaks as they don't want to be associated with a flop. This is why ITV can't build shows these days - they won't get the advertising revenue.
On the second point, Marc and Juan, you are both right to a large extent (I'm not fence sitting). They know that mainstream is popular but they don't know how to make it. I will go into this further later. They are now not ex RAF types any longer, Tim ( a lot of Army bods really)which were brought up on ENSA (A lot worked for ENSA) - that is why we had that sort of show turned into BBC light Ent. Now we have Execs from University backgrounds and therefore they are commisioning and producing shows which reflect there experience such as The Fringe and Union bar based stand up. Times have changed and the type of people in charge have changed. I never went to University and my background is in the theatre, mostly in Musical Comedy - so I'm very much a mainstream boy.

So much for a quickie!!!!!!! More if you want it, or I'll just shut up.

Keep it coming Roy...all pure gold - and to be relished.

Talking of 'My Family' - which we sort of weren't - I might be having a meeeting with John Bartlett, who I believe, produced.
Anyone have any experience of the guy?

Quote: Lazzard @ August 27 2010, 10:51 PM BST

Talking of 'My Family' - which we sort of weren't - I might be having a meeeting with John Bartlett, who I believe, produced.
Anyone have any experience of the guy?

I know John well - smashing man. Very friendly. Yes, he's the Producer of all "My Family" series.

Why do people think that ITV have always seemed to fall short where Comedy is concerned?
Is it a need to appeal to all the family?
I couldn't see something like I'm Alan Partridge or Brass Eye ever being on ITV.

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 27 2010, 10:58 PM BST

I know John well - smashing man. Very friendly. Yes, he's the Producer of all "My Family" series.

Thanks, Roy.
Any blackmail material you could let me have?
Every little helps.

Quote: Lazzard @ August 27 2010, 11:10 PM BST

Thanks, Roy.
Any blackmail material you could let me have?
Every little helps.

You don't need it with John. Just chat with him - he's very human - show biz in the best possible way (He's not a University type that I was going on about in earlier threads.)

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 23 2010, 7:31 PM BST

I think that Justin Sbresni and Mark Bussell were conciously trying to write an American show. Having worked with Justin I know that he loved how shows in the U.S. were structured and from the episodes of "Barbara" I saw this seemed to be borne out in his writing.

What's your problem with FD 8???

Hi Roy

Many thanks and I appreciate your reply.

I recognise that you did not take to "Barbara". I had a problem with Ep. 3 of Grandma's House recently, despite thoroughly enjoying the first two. I really like Pete versus Life, on channel 4.

The problem I have with FD8 is that I have scant knowledge on how best to use it. I do seem to use it ok and then I'm told that a recipient cannot view that which I have sent. Also, I happen upon problems without really understanding why I do!

I suspect the problem is twofold:- (i) I have no training on using it; (ii) recipients have no training on receiving it.

Your thoughts will be gratefully received.

Kind regards, Lill.

RE FD8

Did the software not come with a tutorial?

When I trialed it (ending up making a Betamax-style descision and opting for MoveMagic ScreenWriter!)it had a prety simple walkthrough that taught you the basics - well worth taking the time to go through that, as tempting is at is leap straight in.

The more detailed stuff usually takes a bit of time and some digging around in the Help file, but you certainly should be able to write a screenplay from the get go.

As to people having trouble receiving scripts in FD8 format - you are aware that THEY have to have Final Draft installed at their end?
If they haven't its very easy to export the screenplay in .rtf or .pdf format - they'll have no problem with that, though they won't get the functionality of the original software.

Plus, if you register the software you'll be able to access online help as well.

Good luck...

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 27 2010, 11:08 PM BST

Why do people think that ITV have always seemed to fall short where Comedy is concerned?

They haven't. It's just a view that a lot of people have of them now, tainted by the channel's/network's more recent forays into sitcom (or rather, lackthereof).

Quote: Lazzard @ August 29 2010, 9:57 AM BST

RE FD8

Did the software not come with a tutorial?

When I trialed it (ending up making a Betamax-style descision and opting for MoveMagic ScreenWriter!)it had a prety simple walkthrough that taught you the basics - well worth taking the time to go through that, as tempting is at is leap straight in.

The more detailed stuff usually takes a bit of time and some digging around in the Help file, but you certainly should be able to write a screenplay from the get go.

As to people having trouble receiving scripts in FD8 format - you are aware that THEY have to have Final Draft installed at their end?
If they haven't its very easy to export the screenplay in .rtf or .pdf format - they'll have no problem with that, though they won't get the functionality of the original software.

Plus, if you register the software you'll be able to access online help as well.

Good luck...

Thanks Roy, most appreciated!

Sorry, I meant thanks to Lazzard here!

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2010, 12:46 PM BST

They haven't. It's just a view that a lot of people have of them now, tainted by the channel's/network's more recent forays into sitcom (or rather, lackthereof).

I would disagree; if you scan ITV3 schedules over a 12 month period you realisie the lack of strength in depth in the ITV sitcom roster. Eric Chappell as a cottage industry at YTV accounted for a good half of ITV's sitcom's successful output, and off the top of my head I am struggling to think of any shows other than perhaps Rising Damp, and maybe the early series of Shelley, which would be in contention for my top 20.

Perhaps ITV always felt the need to play it a bit safer, whereas the BBC has always had the luxury of pursuing edgier projects, so you had programmes that were distinctive with an original creative vision. Back in the days of limited choice the BBC were able to influence popular taste, so what was edgy had the opportunity, if it was good enough, to become mainstream.

Quote: Timbo @ August 30 2010, 7:24 PM BST

I would disagree; if you scan ITV3 schedules over a 12 month period you realisie the lack of strength in depth in the ITV sitcom roster. Eric Chappell as a cottage industry at YTV accounted for a good half of ITV's sitcom's successful output, and off the top of my head I am struggling to think of any shows other than perhaps Rising Damp, and maybe the early series of Shelley, which would be in contention for my top 20.

Define "successful". Personal taste is one thing, but ITV has traditionally been packed with long-running, hugely popular sitcoms. Just off the top of my head, Bless This House, Nearest And Dearest, Man About The House, George & Mildred, The New Statesman, The Army Game, blah blah. All rather successful by any gauge I can think of.

Quote: Aaron @ August 30 2010, 8:35 PM BST

Define "successful". Personal taste is one thing, but ITV has traditionally been packed with long-running, hugely popular sitcoms. Just off the top of my head, Bless This House, Nearest And Dearest, Man About The House, George & Mildred, The New Statesman, The Army Game, blah blah. All rather successful by any gauge I can think of.

True, but not a lot lately.