British Comedy Guide

Claire Zolkwer - New ITV Head of Comedy Page 4

More please Roy!

If you are somewhat perplexed, then it's fair to say many others here may be too!! Sitcom (mainstream) has been so hit and miss for far too long.

Mind you I do reckon it's difficult to afford exatitude as to what makes an audience laugh with respect to sitcom. Also it's fair to say that the US got the Benny Hill Show well after we had tired of it; while I can still imagine some very funny aspects to that "show" (please do not kill me for saying so Sick!)

Apparently the sitcom, Barbara, found a warm audience in the US but had relatively scant following here. I think it was known as "Barbara's House" in the US. One of the lines I love is when Barbara's husband, Ted (who is a mini cab driver), goes on and on about escaping their humdrum life in favour of sailing the seven seas and visiting every continent, whereafter she retorts; "We can't Ted", "But the world is our oyster; why not Bar?", "You know I don't like rice Ted".

Anyway..., I think we should welcome more Lead Balloon and I'm afraid to say I like Grandma's House too Pirate. I particularly like the character "Clive" and how he affects the family. For example, in Ep. 1, I laughed at the line "Like your hat, thought I could smell garlic!". I think there are funny lines throughout and that each character has a valid place; though I realise one has to view the Eps' to get the gist!(What's the icon for embarrassed?!)

We need a sitcom which resonates with the publics' ire about rich bankers on garden leave. I'm writing it!

Can anyone help with blimming Final Draft 8?

Give us more Roy!

I remember Barbara getting a severe kicking.

Quote: Trabs @ August 23 2010, 11:41 AM BST

Norm was on the dole for a lot of it. Diane was the ultimate under-achiever, stuck in a job that she is massively over qualified for. Sam is a washed-up alcoholic whose best years are behind him, and he approaches middle age ungracefully with people soon forgetting who he was at his peak. Carla has a string of degenerate ex-husbands and increasing number of children which she raises on her own with the money she gets waitressing. Cliff is very possibly still a virgin at the age of 45. Fraser's life falls apart when Diane dumps him, and he loses all confidence in himself and his ability to do his job. He eventually gets the job side back on track but then ends up in a horrible, cold loveless marriage.

I was going to type that, but I couldn't be bothered!

Quote: Lilly The Pink @ August 23 2010, 4:17 PM BST

More please Roy!

If you are somewhat perplexed, then it's fair to say many others here may be too!! Sitcom (mainstream) has been so hit and miss for far too long.

Mind you I do reckon it's difficult to afford exatitude as to what makes an audience laugh with respect to sitcom. Also it's fair to say that the US got the Benny Hill Show well after we had tired of it; while I can still imagine some very funny aspects to that "show" (please do not kill me for saying so Sick!)

Apparently the sitcom, Barbara, found a warm audience in the US but had relatively scant following here. I think it was known as "Barbara's House" in the US. One of the lines I love is when Barbara's husband, Ted (who is a mini cab driver), goes on and on about escaping their humdrum life in favour of sailing the seven seas and visiting every continent, whereafter she retorts; "We can't Ted", "But the world is our oyster; why not Bar?", "You know I don't like rice Ted".

Anyway..., I think we should welcome more Lead Balloon and I'm afraid to say I like Grandma's House too Pirate. I particularly like the character "Clive" and how he affects the family. For example, in Ep. 1, I laughed at the line "Like your hat, thought I could smell garlic!". I think there are funny lines throughout and that each character has a valid place; though I realise one has to view the Eps' to get the gist!(What's the icon for embarrassed?!)

We need a sitcom which resonates with the publics' ire about rich bankers on garden leave. I'm writing it!

Can anyone help with blimming Final Draft 8?

Give us more Roy!

I think that Justin Sbresni and Mark Bussell were conciously trying to write an American show. Having worked with Justin I know that he loved how shows in the U.S. were structured and from the episodes of "Barbara" I saw this seemed to be borne out in his writing.

What's your problem with FD 8???

Quote: Ben @ August 23 2010, 6:43 PM BST

I was going to type that, but I couldn't be bothered!

Probably just as well Ben.

In comedy people have flaws that help drive the comedy, If they don't it aint funny. In life people have flaws too but they battle against them too. That's what makes great sitcom great - the humanity, None of the people/characters in Cheers were 'Bums', however you define it, and I feel sad a little for people who would judge them as such.

:)

So is there no such thing as desperational comedy?

I've only been watching Barbara for the first time recently, and really enjoying it. Packed with cracking gags.

Quote: Marc P @ August 23 2010, 7:36 PM BST

None of the people/characters in Cheers were 'Bums', however you define it, and I feel sad a little for people who would judge them as such.

:)

You realise they're fictional, right?? Errr

Quote: Ben @ August 23 2010, 7:38 PM BST

So is there no such thing as desperational comedy?

No.

There is slacker comedy. But as a comedic device there is no such thing as desperational comedy. It makes no sense, Even Timothy strove to break free.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 23 2010, 7:48 PM BST

You realise they're fictional, right?? Errr

Define fiction?

Quote: Marc P @ August 23 2010, 9:48 PM BST

Define fiction?

What I mean by "desperational" is characters striving for success (Del in 'Fools', Peggy in 'Hi de Hi') and failing each time but then desperatly picking themselves up and trying again against the odds. We let them succeed in the last episode of the final series - which is always a cop out. 'Hancock' was always a failure as was Albert Steptoe. Galton and Simpson stuck to their premise.

As clear as mud!!

Quote: Roy Gould @ August 23 2010, 10:12 PM BST

What I mean by "desperational" is characters striving for success (Del in 'Fools', Peggy in 'Hi de Hi') and failing each time but then desperatly picking themselves up and trying again against the odds. We let them succeed in the last episode of the final series - which is always a cop out. 'Hancock' was always a failure as was Albert Steptoe. Galton and Simpson stuck to their premise.

As clear as mud!!

But that means they are all aspirational then Roy. To fail at something you have to aspire to it. They have to fail or the comedy stops. It doesn't make them failures , however, because they keep on trying.

I think what is happening here is a confusing of terminology. Aspirational when applied to TV usually means lifestyles or jobs the audience would wish to have for themselves as they perceive it as glamorous. Hence shows set in Fashion,the Pop Industry, Television and Media etc. The original question was to do with the states and the UK in this regard I think and it probably comes down to them liking a bit more gloss and us liking a bit more grit to overgeneralise.

I agree with what you are saying just nit picking on the terms :)

I think there's more to it than Americans just liking a bit more gloss, it basically comes down to Americans generally giving a more positive outlook, and Britain a negative one. Characters might aspire to something in both sets, but I think over here there is more chance of, for want of a better word, our shows featuring underdogs, or lovable losers. Even in 'Seinfeld', you could look at George as being one of the biggest losers in sitcom history, but even he gets beautiful woman after beautiful woman and finds himself employed in great jobs.

I also think, by aspirational, people might mean you look at them and almost want to be them. So you might quite like to be a character in 'Friends', but you probably don't want to be Basil Fawlty. I think this has changed over the years now though, and there is more of a crossover in style between American and British comedies.

I spose the grit/gloss thing I was mainly thinking of drama. But you make a good point re upbeatness. I like the English sitcoms where there is a bit of upbeat - Love Soup, Miranda, strangely even Lead Balloon, Krod Mandoon. Maybe I am odd. :)

I like Miranda and Lead Balloon, too.

Lead Balloon was good. Miranda though? That is odd.