British Comedy Guide

Script Formats and the Production Process Page 2

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 19 2010, 3:05 AM GMT

Any company worth its salt would take on a funny, interesting, but technically-inept script over a boring-but-technically-perfect one.

But life is never that simple.

Faced with two quite good scripts, they'll go for the one written by the person who's made an effort to find out how things are done.
They need someone they can work with, to develop things further.
They don't particularly want to nursemaid an amateur who doesn't know the first thing about the process.

But for those of you who like a chalenge, soldier on with the lined paper and magic marker.

Quote: Lazzard @ February 19 2010, 11:14 AM GMT

But life is never that simple.

Faced with two quite good scripts, they'll go for the one written by the person who's made an effort to find out how things are done.
They need someone they can work with, to develop things further.
They don't particularly want to nursemaid an amateur who doesn't know the first thing about the process.

But for those of you who like a chalenge, soldier on with the lined paper and magic marker.

Yes, given a scenario where a company receives two equally-funny scripts, one written in the perfect house format and the other in red crayon, (an exaggeration!) the properly-formatted one would be dealt with first. But the writer with the good-but-crappily-formatted script would also be contacted, if the producer wasn't a complete idiot.

All I'm saying is it's obviously good to know the right way of setting out your script, and Bill makes good points about it being a good idea to go and actually watch sitcoms being recorded - but really, most companies really don't care about formatting as long as it's clearly-written and resembles something like a script. A friend of mine has been writing TV for 15 years, he's had his own sketch show and sitcom broadcast, and his scripts are very basic-looking. Like he says, "It all gets re-typed anyway".

I just don't think it's something to get too hung-up about. I used to be very anal about submitting scripts in the traditional BBC format, wide left margin, double-spaced, etc. I don't anymore. I actually had one Indie producer call me and say "I think this Word document is corrupted, all the dialogue's squeezed over to the right". Mind you he was a moron. :)

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 19 2010, 1:23 PM GMT

Yes, given a scenario where a company receives two equally-funny scripts, one written in the perfect house format and the other in red crayon, (an exaggeration!) the properly-formatted one would be dealt with first. But the writer with the good-but-crappily-formatted script would also be contacted, if the producer wasn't a complete idiot.

All I'm saying is it's obviously good to know the right way of setting out your script, and Bill makes good points about it being a good idea to go and actually watch sitcoms being recorded - but really, most companies really don't care about formatting as long as it's clearly-written and resembles something like a script. A friend of mine has been writing TV for 15 years, he's had his own sketch show and sitcom broadcast, and his scripts are very basic-looking. Like he says, "It all gets re-typed anyway".

I just don't think it's something to get too hung-up about. I used to be very anal about submitting scripts in the traditional BBC format, wide left margin, double-spaced, etc. I don't anymore. I actually had one Indie producer call me and say "I think this Word document is corrupted, all the dialogue's squeezed over to the right". Mind you he was a moron. :)

I see where you're coming from (and I agree, the Beeb seem to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp format-wise) but I suppose my take on it is this - it isn't hard to get right - so why not get it right?

I think it makes sense to tack a copy of this message on this topic.

==========from https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14314#P461031 ================================

Sigh! I can't stand seeing messages where people use clunky Scriptsmart or think they can do a scripting stylesheet in 10 minutes (or seconds)... Or want to use stolen software.

Console

=================

Here's a serial number for my Scriptwriters' Toolkit, which is a set of Templates for Microsoft Word 97, 2002, XP, 2003 on Windows. It only works partially on Word 2007 and not on any Apple Mac.

Its a non-transferable gift to BCG members.
You can download and use the full set of 14 templates with that number.

Don't throw away my good will by abusing the privilege, Its for BCG members ONLY.

Go to: http://www.datahighways.net/dhl/toolkit.htm

PirateThe serial number will time-out after it has been used on 10 dates, but more than one person can download on the same date.Pirate If you spot that it has timed-out let me know and I'll add another 10 days lifetime.

Have fun...
Hug

it's timed out

Quote: bushbaby @ February 20 2010, 12:27 PM GMT

it's timed out

Now revived

Bill I have tried three times, once just now and twice in the past and I just don't understand the system. I don't know if it's my PC or what but all I get is click ctrl and one etc. I just can't get it, neither can I get scriptsmart that the beeb offer, this PC just doesn't get it....unless it's me

This isn't really the place for a detailed support discussion, it would be prevailing too much on the generosity of BCG.

The usual problem when people can't get things to work is that they did not follow the installation instructions properly.
They are at http://www.datahighways.net/dhl/downloads/w2000/InstallationInstructions.pdf
or the operating instructions at http://www.datahighways.net/dhl/downloads/w2000/OperatingInstructions.pdf

If that doesn't work, since the PM facility is not yet working here, please email me at:
billwill_toolkit(at)datahighways.co.uk

ok will do thanks

Hi,

I am a very experienced BBC trained Comedy Producer/Director. I run a Online
One to one email mail/skype comedy script mentoring course. My aim is to help writers get there script and pitch in the best possible shape for them to send into the Indies & Broadcasters. Email me. See my profile and look me up on IMDB Roy Gould

Formating is important - if the reader isfamiliar with the format then the easier it is to read.

Quote: Roy Gould @ July 28 2010, 1:02 PM BST

...run a Online...

...to help writers get there script and pitch in the best possible shape...

Formating is important - if the reader isfamiliar with the format then the easier it is to read.

:O

Also spelling, grammar & punctuation.

Thanks Bill,

It's so nice that you have taken the time and this is most appreciated. Too often "forums" turn into useless banter about nothing whatsoever, which affords nothing, little, or frankly, less!. By contrast you have really taken the view, to which I subscribe, that info. shared is what should happen here.

Many thanks indeed and kind regards.

Hi Griff

I've got Final Draft 8, though it would seem this isn't easily accessible to some others!

I would really appreciate communication/s with anyone who knows the ins and outs to aid my writing attempts using this software.

All the best.

Hi Griff

Thanks for your reply, which is useful.

The BCG is fab; I agree.

Thanks again, Lill.

Does anyone else use Final Draft 8?

I have to acknowledge that Final Draft has now got pretty much a stranglehold on professional scriptwriting for Hollywood, but the price makes it a big jump for a new writer, so I think my Scriptwriter's Toolkit is a good tool for new writers to use to gain experience and to submit their initial scripts.

In the long run on turning pro, script writers will probably more or less be obliged to buy a copy of Final Draft.

Being American origin, Final Draft is not particularly good at conforming with BBC script formats.

==============

Take a look at my new bait page for paying customers, I think you might find it occasionally amusing.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/18500/